To my Motorcycle peeps - Wear your gear. I'm alive because I did

tangman99

My wife and I were up in North Carolina last week riding some twisties in the mountains. We did about 400 miles in 3 days and had a blast. We went out for an easy ride the last day before loading up the bikes and coming home and I went down hard. I have no recollection of the crash other than the corner I was on was in bad shape and my front tire starting chattering and jumping to the outside. I left the road about 40 mph and the only thing I remember is a sharp pain in my left shoulder, seeing light and dark over and over and coming to a sudden stop.
My wife was riding right behind me at a slower pace and said nothing looked out of the ordinary. The bike low sided, dug in and pitched me causing me to crash into the ground on my left shoulder. She said I tumbled as bike parts exploded all around me. I finally stopped when I hit a guard rail with my right arm and helmet.
I was tremendously lucky. If I had crashed a bit ealier, I would have been thrown into a burm with some huge trees. A bit later, the bike would have hit the guardrail and I would probably have been throw about 100 feet down the mountain. I was wearing full racing leathers and walked away with a seperated shoulder, broken clavicle and some serious bruises on my left hip. No road rash thanks to my gear. Just a small friction burn on my left elbow from my leathers when I hit the ground. My Arai helmet hit the ground several times and left some nice paint on the guard rail. It no doubt saved my life as I was sliding and tumbling over rocks.
I was lucky to literally walk away from this. Here are a few picture I took at the crash site.
This is the road surface that got my front tire to sliding.

This is the front of my bike completely ripped off.

This is the left side of the bike pretty much sheared away. Shifter bent, foot peg ripped off, passenger peg bent, clutch cover and swing arm ground down and slider ground.

This is some of the paint I left on the guard rail off my helmet.

My broken and separated shoulder:

I haven't filed a claim yet as I'm dealing with the injuries and going to find out if I need shoulder surgery on Friday. I don't know if the bike is totaled or not but it's pretty close.
To all you riders, please be careful and wear your gear. It took me 35 years to go from the "those that are going down" to the "gone down" club and all I can say is crashing sucks and hurts like hell. Pain killers are your friend though if you ever do.

coraljunky

It took me a couple minutes to even try to respond to this. GLAD to see that you are still with us. I wouldn't expect that pavement would give you or anyone a reason to think it would be slick.

mimzy

good lord Tang I'm glad you're alive!!! Good on you for wearing all your gear and good on your gear for keeping you mostly whole and good on the chaos of our crazy universe for keeping you in a non-lethal situation and thank you for posting to let us know you're still with us!!
good grief. keep us posted and take good care of yourself. your poor wife must've had the fright of her life. love a duck, man. glad you're ok.

tangman99

Originally Posted by coraljunky
http:///forum/post/2827805
It took me a couple minutes to even try to respond to this. GLAD to see that you are still with us. I wouldn't expect that pavement would give you or anyone a reason to think it would be slick.
That was one of the elements is that I didn't know the roads that well. I had ridden them once the day before. You can see in this photo, it is a decreasing radius turn and that's how I ended up on the outside of the turn. When I tried to lay it over further, it wouldn't turn as it started chattering and slipping.

tangman99

Originally Posted by Mimzy
http:///forum/post/2827811
good lord Tang I'm glad you're alive!!! Good on you for wearing all your gear and good on your gear for keeping you mostly whole and good on the chaos of our crazy universe for keeping you in a non-lethal situation and thank you for posting to let us know you're still with us!!
good grief. keep us posted and take good care of yourself. your poor wife must've had the fright of her life. love a duck, man. glad you're ok.
Yeah, my wife is having a hard time as she keeps seeing me crash over and over and has been having nightmares. We have communicators and she said it sounded sickening coming over when my helmet hit the ground and then it went silent. I will never forget the terrified look in her eyes when she came running over to me. We both ride and love it and accept the risks. Even after this, I can't wait to get the bike fixed or buy a new one. Even as hard as it was for her to see it, she wants to continue to ride and wants me to as well. We both live by the creed ATGATT (all the gear all the time) so we do everything we can to keep ourselves safe. Sometimes, it just happens though.

mimzy

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2827835
Yeah, my wife is having a hard time as she keeps seeing me crash over and over and has been having nightmares. We have communicators and she said it sounded sickening coming over when my helmet hit the ground and then it went silent. I will never forget the terrified look in her eyes when she came running over to me. We both ride and love it and accept the risks. Even after this, I can't wait to get the bike fixed or buy a new one. Even as hard as it was for her to see it, she wants to continue to ride and wants me to as well. We both live by the creed ATGATT (all the gear all the time) so we do everything we can to keep ourselves safe. Sometimes, it just happens though.

good for you two!!!
that's gotta be the worst moment of your life seeing your partner go down.... ::shudders::
My Husband rides. I'm a willing passenger, but I don't ride myself. Glad to hear you're going to get back in the "Saddle," as it were - just give yourself some time to heal. That collarbone is going to need some time, and your shoulder's going to need some serious TLC. I've had both injuries and I can tell you they get better if you take recovery seriously. Baby yourself. MAKE yourself rest.
...and keep an eye on that superfantabulously strong wife of yours - see that she gets the help she needs if she's still loosing sleep in a few weeks. I know I'd loose my marbles if I ever saw my Hubbs..... I can't even TYPE it. lord. I'm glad you're both ok.

socal57che

Not your time to go yet. Glad to hear you are OK.

What is it with that stupid collar bone. It's hard to crash a bike and not break it. (so I've heard)

fatcat

I can see your heart in the X-ray looks like a upside down gerbil..

But its good to see your still alive..

reefraff

Got lucky. Glad it wasn't worse.
When I was in the big one The only memory of the time just before the wreck was a vauge snap shot image of a silver Ford Ranger grill and headlights coming at me. Turned out thats what it was. Of course from the moment of impact on I remember every damn thing.

ray j neal

Let me first say good for you and your wife wearing your gear. I have seen a few people go down in the group of us who ride together. The ones who survived wore their gear. One of the fatal wrecks in our group I was not there to witness. The one I did witness, Tim (the victim) had his helmet on the back of his bike rather than his head.
You say you lowsided, then got flung. I assume you lowsided, caught a bit of grip, and high sided? Glad to hear you're okay bro! I've seen a guy at a trackday high side. He grabbed too much read brake and went into a slide with the ass end. He paniced, released it, caught grip and ended up in a tank-slapper highside. OUCH.

tangman99

Originally Posted by Ray J Neal
http:///forum/post/2827866
Let me first say good for you and your wife wearing your gear. I have seen a few people go down in the group of us who ride together. The ones who survived wore their gear. One of the fatal wrecks in our group I was not there to witness. The one I did witness, Tim (the victim) had his helmet on the back of his bike rather than his head.
You say you lowsided, then got flung. I assume you lowsided, caught a bit of grip, and high sided? Glad to hear you're okay bro! I've seen a guy at a trackday high side. He grabbed too much read brake and went into a slide with the ass end. He paniced, released it, caught grip and ended up in a tank-slapper highside. OUCH.
Not really sure of the actual get off. From the way my wife explains it, the bike lowsided and spun around 180 degrees. I went over the bike somehow and my shoulder went into the ground. She said it was hard to tell because bike parts, dirt and leaves were going everywhere. The bike never gripped and whipped me though. The bike did a true lowside and I never touched the brakes. I just leaned the hell out of it and was pressing like mad on the outside footpeg to get the center of gravity lower to push it around.
I really can't be sure just what happened but I think the front end dug or got caught up in the rocks and nosed in off to the side which is what caused the whole main fairing stay to break off and sent me over the top somehow. I wish she would have had a bike cam because I still haven't quite figured it out.

gsellers

those are great tires...there can be too many variables to even list so leave it at "thank god" and glad you are ok.
I have to say it.......it was a honda.
sorry im a zuk fan....heal up quick

lovethesea

well, all I can say is.......thank goodness you are still here to tell the story.

A guy my hubby works with and his wife are riders. They were on a similar trip as yours. Something horrible happened and his wife went head to guardrail. Now.......they were in Illinois where head protection is not required,but they wore it anyway.

Her VERY expensive helmet had a major gash in it and she had a stiff neck, 2 broken ribs (after she slipped sideways after her head/body took the guard rail!....and hubby heard the whole thing also). The ER took pics of her helmet to claim her brain safetly due to the helmet. (head vs. metal/wood guardrail = 0-win.

take care and make sure you spread your knowledge and first hand experience of safety moving forward. Your gift could save at least 1 persons life.