To my Motorcycle peeps - Wear your gear. I'm alive because I did

rylan1

I'm glad to here you will be okay... I'm not sure why you went down, it could have been the slightest of things... I know this from watching AMA, especially on turns..
And by the way, Hondas are known for their turning ability for whoever said Suzukis are better...
I'm actually glad you hit the ground first instead of slamming into the rail... I have had two guys I rode with slam into the rail, and they both didn't make it... its usually the solid objects on the edge of the road that hurt you more than flying through the air of sliding a 100ft...

rylan1

your bike looks pretty good considering... doesn't look like frame or forks are broken or bent.... you could get some aftermarket plastics for $700 or so... you can probably grab all the components for the front on ---- or salvage... or depending on your insurance...just get something new.

m0nk

Wow, I'm glad to see that you're alright for the most part. It's also nice to see that neither of you will give up riding and I hope your wife feels better about it soon.

miaheatlvr

Bro it looks like you took a beating, But on the other hand I am ecstatic that you are here to type about it... Heal fast buddy!

gliderjohn

Thanks for sharing. My oldest son plans on getting a bike this spring and already has decided to wear full gear when he rides. I shared your post with him just to help drive home the point. He appreciated it.
Glad you're ok.

saltn00b

well your first problem is that it was a honda....
haha jk had to say it.
any tangman, glad you are ok, but i have to ask, if you were riding in NC why the hell were you not riding in Deal's Gap, tail of the dragon??! or the other great roads near there like cherahola skyway... that is moto-nirvana!
actually this last may i lowsided my gsxr on the dragon in a tight right hander. i thought my toe was broken but it healed up ok in a month or so. i was wearing full leathers and lid of course, it is the only way to ride when you are pushing yourself in unknown territories up there. glad you were in your leathers, and i am sure your skin is glad as well.
as for convetional riding around town at home, i 100% of the time will have gloves and helmet. 99% of the time jacket (even in sunny, hot and humid south florida) , always have closed toed sneakers at least, preferably riding boots, and NEVER sandals. and the only time i wear shorts is for the short ride home from the gym. anything less is SQUIDLY
this is funny seeing this sort of thing in this forum , i had to double check which forum i was on! glad you are ok man, there are two types of riders, those that have gone done, and those that will. now heal up and get back up on that horse. (this time not a honda though)

T

tizzo

Wow! I HAVE been gone to long! Never even seen this post.
First off as every one else mentioned, I'm very glad your OK!
secondly, I'm glad your going to ride again. I think it's sad that one moment can completely eliminate the love for the sport, or hobby, or whatever you wanna call it.
And thirdly...sigh...that bike. That beautiful bike. I remember reading when you first got it, and you posted pics of your little girl sitting on it in the "show your kids" thread (I think it was)... that bike has so many memories here on the boards it will be hard to imagine you without it.
Kudos for your gear... smart, as you know. I hope this nudges anyone reading to think twice and throw on the helmet... it does keep the sand outa your face too!
I am glad your ok, and I imagine your to doped up on painkillers to have gotten through all these posts, but rest and utilize your time off from work to bond with the family... Heck they nearly lost you a couple weeks ago huh. Amazing how we take things for granted...
Keep us posted.
----

tangman99

Hi guys. Thanks for the well wishes. I got some good news on Friday. I don't need any surgery and I have an 80% chance of it healing up fine on it's own. Pain killers are doing their job and I'm starting to feel much better.
I'm hoping they don't total it. I think it will be ok. The frame and forks all look fine. The swingarm looks ok except for being scraped up. I can take the Honda jokes. Anyone that knows anything knows it's all about the rider.
The reason we were in the Blue Ridge is it is some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and we were there to relax. My wife has been riding for less than a year and in Florida so going to the Gap would not have been in her best interest yet. She is very good rider though and I feel I have taught her well. She did a very good job of handling the mountain roads around there. The Blue Ridge is very relaxing to ride and 276 and 215 have some very challenging curves if you want to up it some. We are planning a trip to the Gap next year but the Pisgah mountains holds a special place in our heart.
I've never had a second thought about riding again. I had several friends that have crashed and could not ride again. I'm sick seeing my bike in the garage all torn up. I'm filing my insurance claim this week and getting it underway. I'm out for a good two months or so though.

T

tizzo

It's funny... your in a sling with shoulder issues, just like my hubby at the moment...
I pity your wife and all that she has to do for you, lol!!

tangman99

Originally Posted by Tizzo
http:///forum/post/2832040
It's funny... your in a sling with shoulder issues, just like my hubby at the moment...
I pity your wife and all that she has to do for you, lol!!

LOL! Don't let him play you too much. About the only thing my wife actually has to help me do is get a shirt on and off. I can pretty much handle the rest.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2832325
LOL! Don't let him play you too much.
Oh I think it's to late for that...

He broke his shoulder out the front about 2 years ago and it healed all wrong, so the doc had to rip it all up fixing it.
That's his right arm. Then he got MRSA on his left and it deteriorated the flesh and muscle all the way to the tendons on his left arm. That's located right about where you'd cut to commit suicide.
So, he's armless and I'm.... busy. sigh.

shogun323

Wow John. Sorry about the getoff. Although I ride in the dirt I am a huge fan of gear. My gear has saved my butt many times. Trees are quite unforgiving and I see squids get carried out of Croom nearly every weekend. Glad you walked away ok. We need you in top shape to party with RU and me!!!!

reefforbrains

Sorry but as soon as I saw the post I cracked a huge grin.
Actually chuckling since I knew if you were posting, then you were ok and a bit of a laugh wouldnt hurt.
Smiling because I KNEW pictures would follow and the image came to mind as it always does- You laying there with a mouth of road grit and pebbles down your collar fresh from the saddle, telling your wife to take pics for your online friends to share. Plus you get more goodies to hang in the wall of shame.
Certainly happy to hear you came out of it with only temp issues.
Glad your ok. I mean it.
-RFB

aw9906

That's no good, but glad to hear your alright. I had a similar experience once where I totaled my Harley due to some oil spilt on a sharp corner from a DOT truck resurfacing the shoulder. My wife was driving behind me and saw the entire thing. I came out of it with minor injuries thanks to my gear. I think it was worse on my wife than it was me.
Keep Riding!
Andy

jacknjill

Originally Posted by TangMan99
http:///forum/post/2831740
The reason we were in the Blue Ridge is it is some of the most beautiful scenery in the country and we were there to relax. My wife has been riding for less than a year and in Florida so going to the Gap would not have been in her best interest yet. She is very good rider though and I feel I have taught her well. She did a very good job of handling the mountain roads around there. The Blue Ridge is very relaxing to ride and 276 and 215 have some very challenging curves if you want to up it some. We are planning a trip to the Gap next year but the Pisgah mountains holds a special place in our heart.
wow! I live in NC and have family in the Blue Ridge Mountains so im on that road frequently. its hard to drive even in a car, so i cant even imagine a motorcycle! you have to pay so close attention. Thats crazy, but im glad youre okay!

tangman99

Yeah, ReefForBrains, I figured you come along and give me a hard time. I say that with a grin. I should have it all put back together in a few weeks. Insurance is going to pay for all my upgrades that were destroyed and they are covering a new helmet for me. I'm getting another Arai Rx-7 as my head bounced all over the place not to mention the guard rail and I never felt a single impact. I'm thinking of replacing it with the Josh Hayes Jolly Roger Replica. Statefarm is shelling out the retail price of $781.00 for it.

Shogun,
I still have full use of my right arm and that's all I need to hold a beer! Of course when the all the fighting starts, you and RU may have to take up a little slack for me.