Tons of algae!

hurt

An algae scrubber is commonly mistakingly referred to as a refugium. Basically it is a seperate tank plumbed into your system, for the purpose of growing mass quantities of MACRO-algae. As the macro algae grows, it takes up nitrates and phosphates into itself. This way the micro-algae(what you have) does not have a food source to grow. Since setting up my algae scrubber, I have never had any measurable NO3 or PO4. A RDSB is a remote deep sand bed. It is also a seperate tank plumbed into your system with a DSB(6+ inches).

hurt

Mounties do ROCK
. I don't think they have a weak schedule by any means though. They play 3 teams in the top 25. Definitely not the most difficult though. Louisville losing does hurt no doubt. Nov 8th will be payback.
Western Maryland is nice country. The Deep Creek area is nice, but it is getting pricey. I've spent lots of time fly fishing the NBP below Jennings Randolph Dam, "Yock" tailwater, and the Savage tailwater as well.

beatlesfan

I do Have a HOB refugium but the chaeto that I got for it is growing diatoms on the outer parts and has grown little if any since. My whole tank has a DSB and he fugr abotu 3in.s (all it would allow).
Yeah we rent a home every christmas in deep creek. The houses to buy are on the 1million side for Lake view, not even lake front.

beatlesfan

Oh and I have introduced 5 cherrystone clams into tank and they have buried themselves. I also am using this thing called de-nitrate from sea chem. The nitrates have been lowering but very slowly and I want to take the cause out.
Well Gnight i'll be back tomarrow.

ibew

Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
No but I don't see how that could be a problem.
I didn't either when I had one but if you think about it when you feed the tank the excess food is going into your HOB fuge and sitting at the bottom. For a bigger sump fuge that wouldn't be a problem but aliittle fuge could get over worked just from feeding if enough food found its way in there that means it really wouldn' be benifting your DT. JMO so when I were to feed I would leave it off for about 30 minutes or so

beatlesfan

another thing. I have corals, so could I only put the day lights on for 5hrs? And what should I do to the lunar lights.

maxalmon

You have a DSB in your tank? how deep?
There is some kinda nutrient problem, I would do a detailed inspection of your tank. Check ever single square inch of the fuge and tank. Like it was mentioned above, your HOB fuge could have a thick covering of detritus sitting on the bottom. Needs to stay clean.
Foam filters, especially in canisters are notorious for collecting gunk, it's what there supposed to do, but they need to be rinsed every few days, not every other week or month. IMO there is no need for a canister filter in a reeftank other than to run carbon when needed. Check you canister filter and rinse out the foam, if you get a dark brown stream of gunk, then you've found part of the problem. Carbon should not be left in a canister filter for 30 days, no matter what the manufacturer claims.
Are you running any chaeto in your fuge? If so, what kinda lighting is abouve it? A huge clump of Chaeto should really help balance your system.

ibew

I agree with maxalmon somewhere you have detrius collecting and causing you to have a trate problem. Might be collecting in your DSB like stated above not sure if you have a clean up crew for your sand bed or some sand sifters but might want to invest in some but first you need to do 50 % water change and locate the problem try to get them trates close to 0

ibew

also I seen you have a wet dry do you have any bioballs in there if so you might need to do some maintaince on them they are notorius for collecting trates if not taking care of properly

beatlesfan

Yes there is alot of detritus collecting inmy fuge and other foam filters. I have cleaned them out and will hope it works. Also There is no way I can do a 50% water change, I can hardly do 5% at a time.

beatlesfan

Originally Posted by maxalmon
You have a DSB in your tank? how deep?
Are you running any chaeto in your fuge? If so, what kinda lighting is abouve it? A huge clump of Chaeto should really help balance your system.
Yes I am and i is the lights that are designed for the fuge by the same comapany. See my post about it not growing a few scrolls up. My DSB is about 6-7in.

maxalmon

I missed the whole wet/dry part, if you have bio-balls, the next time you do a water change, set the tank water aside. Take the bio-balls out and really rinse them in the drained tank water and then put them back. Then, remove about a handfull of the balls everyother day until they are all gone.

beatlesfan

Originally Posted by maxalmon
I missed the whole wet/dry part, if you have bio-balls, the next time you do a water change, set the tank water aside. Take the bio-balls out and really rinse them in the drained tank water and then put them back. Then, remove about a handfull of the balls everyother day until they are all gone.
why remove the bio-balls?: They do and excellant job at keeping amm. and nitrites down.

ibew

Originally Posted by Beatlesfan
why remove the bio-balls?: They do and excellant job at keeping amm. and nitrites down.
if not properly taking care they create nitrate problems hes suggesting that you remove them all together but alittle bit at a time and replace with LR it does the same job in your sump

digitydash

It also needs to be maintained just like bio-balls.I would just rince the bio-balls and put them back it because live rock will do the same thing if not rinsed off just like bio-balls.

digitydash

yes but if you ask me because it has alot of indentations and holes it can trap alot more garbage then a smoth bio-ball.LR does not have to be submerged just has to stay wet.You would use little rubble peices.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by ScubaGuy
Also what are you using to mesaure you rsalt level. I used a hydrometer and it was off by .005 so when my SG level was at 1.024 it was really at 1.029 which killed my crabs. Just thought I would put my $.02 in.
1.029 SG is not going to kill a crab. 1.020 might but crabs can handle well over 1.032 without flinching. I run my reef at 1.027 so if I forget to top off more than one day my SG will hit 1.030 it does happen more than I like to admit.

snaredrum

Phosphate at 0. I was testing the same way with hair algea problems and it was because the algea was using up the Phosphate.