too many tangs to shake a stick at

sea goblin

There are so many differant kinds of tangs to chose from, and they all look great. So my question is, what ones do you guys like the most?
Right now i dont think i can even answer my own question. But i will say that i like the purple tang alot, and the hippo, and the yellow......i better stop and just let you guys give your thoughts.
Sea Goblin

flamehawk

30 definately too small. I'm glad you realize. The PB gets my vote. followed by the sohal. They need at least a 125g. These two cannot be put in same tank. Similar shapes and from the same family.

One of the rare mentioned tangs that I think is quite pretty is the black tang. I'm thinking of getting one for my 75 gallon, but I'm also getting a hippo, and am not sure if they would be able to happily fit in there. If only fish tanks grew on trees! :)

small reef

I have been successful keeping a yellow tang in a 29 gallon tank in the past. It lived in there several years before an unfortunate accident with the heater. Just make sure you provide plenty of algae.

Uh oh, not this again.... small reef, I don't care how many years that fish lived or how happy it LOOKED, believe me it was not ok. That is a terrible thing to do to an animal. Please don't so that again. I'm not even sure if I can put a black tang and a blue hippo together in a 75 gallon, and might just get a small angel instead. Off my soapbox now, here is a pic of one of the more rarely-known tangs, but IMO, one of the prettiest.

small reef

I don't mean to be rude, but until you get a degree in marine science and a masters in aquaculture, like I have, don't try to tell me what size tank I should use. I'll bet I've forgotten more about this subject than you will ever learn. Any one else who has worked with ---- Perrin, knows what I am talking about.

sea goblin

I dont want to seam rude either, but if you have a degree in Marine Science, and a Masters in Aquaculture, then what does that have to do with making it right to keep a tang in a 29 gallon tank? Anything that is as active as a tang should be given as much room as you can aford to give it. If that means tht you can only have a 29 gallon tank then i dont think you should be getting tangs. I can see why a new person to sw would think it would be cool to have one and cram it into a 29, but that makes no sence to me that a person with your knowlage and experiance would even do something like that. Just my feelings though, i dont want to make any one upset.
Sea Goblin

ryebread

small reef- Please do not try to belittle members of this board with your vast amount of knowledge.......it is not appreciated and it is not necessary in someone else's thread. Hopefully you will be a great addition to our little message board.:) BTW- Namedroppers are dorks.
Sea Goblin
- Glad to see that you realize the well being of the livestock will depend on the surroundings. I personally do not like tangs but, I think the Chevron (adolecent, not mature) and the Hippo tangs are quite beatiful. :)
JW
- ;)