Troy and Andrews combined diary

levinjac

you must be confused with a different thread i found a 14 gallon jbj tank at wallmart for 50 bucks thought i would take that up but never did

T

tracher

update::::::
TROY
got 2 uknown acros but they look prety nice and i got a pokerstar (doesnt look like it but the guy said that it would change back to normal when i put it in my tank but it was 10 dollars....)
and i got a few more snails and some sort of huge nasarius

ANDREW
got similar pokerstar and uknown zoas

BOTH: pics in a bit!

andrew997

i have some realy nasty algae and i have been doing water changes is there anything else i can do to get rid of the algae?

aquapod 24

Get a few more members for your cuc (emerald crabs are awesome if you dont have any already) and if your phosphates are high you could get some phosguard from sachem (sp?) to bring them down which worked for me in addition to weekly water changes... i also have a minor algae outbreak.

T

tracher

i keep forgeting to get on. my 29 is so overun with aptasia im moving everything to my 90. i dont know what else to do

T

tracher

yes it would but i just meant the fish... has anyone here heard of berghia? I want to set up the 90 at my dad's house and leave 29 at my moms... i might set up another nano just because when i do water changes it would be a pain to do like 20 gallons. also i cant afford lr

fretfreak13

Oh wow, this combined thing is going to be super confusing. Another member in my reef club had a breeding set of Bergia's, but they died after he ran out of aptasia to feed them. They cleaned out ALL of the aptaisa in our whole club. Not one tank, not two, but like fifty. We brought rocks to this guy's house out of our tanks that had the aptasia on them, the nudis at 'em, and then he gave the clean rocks back. Even after all of that, the things died of starvation.
They will mow down your aptasia, but they'll die when they run out of food. Nice to see so many younger kids in the hobby. ;)

T

tracher

i will be 15 in a month.. that pic is current haha i look young. I am just worried about the aptasia but could i take them out of my tank and put them in my bros? this wont be a combined thread anymore but i might put some of his pics up. he has one like 10 pound rock and i dont think i could fit it in my tank.

T

tracher

And how would i get a set of breeding ones? Would i need to order those special ones on the website?

fretfreak13

Why would you want to transfer the aptasia to your brother's tank? Are you mad at him or something?
No, just kill them. Rather than the burgia's, which are hard to find and will certinly die once they've cleaned out your tank, invest in some peppermint shrimp. They LOVE appys, or at least mine do. Make sure they are real peppermints though, and not camel shrimp. Sometimes LFS confuse them, they look a little bit alike. If you take a pic of them with you and compair, you'll see.
Also, you can buy products like aptasia X to kill them. The peppermints only seem to go after little ones, so I helped mine out by buying a syringe (you can get them at drug mart, or CVS) and filling it with a mix of boiling hot water and lemon juice. I snuck up to the nem, stabed it RIGHT in the mouth, and it was gone the next day. Some people use kalk too, which I've seen at my LFS.

T

tracher

I am probably going to order berghia. I do have peppermint shrimp. I am pretty sure they are real ones. They don't seem to be working. I got a lot of money from Christmas so i am either buying a new tank or setting up my 90 gallon that i have in the basement. I don't think i can afford the 90. If i buy a tank i either want a solana or the tank nike has.

T

tracher

Ok, my mom gave me this great idea.... I buy a cheap 15 gallon (same as my bro) put my cpr hob fuge and my light on it then move fish, clam and some of the lr into the tank.Then dry out my 29 gallon for a few days. Add new live rock and water to the biocube. Let cycle. Move everything back into bc. I have a few questions though:
Would this work without harming any of the fish or the clam?
Can i add live sand into the 15 without causing a spike of anything?
Can the bc cycle without a light?

fretfreak13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracher http:///forum/thread/380618/troy-and-andrews-combined-diary/20#post_3341524
Ok, my mom gave me this great idea.... I buy a cheap 15 gallon (same as my bro) put my cpr hob fuge and my light on it then move fish, clam and some of the lr into the tank.Then dry out my 29 gallon for a few days. Add new live rock and water to the biocube. Let cycle. Move everything back into bc. I have a few questions though:
Would this work without harming any of the fish or the clam?
Can i add live sand into the 15 without causing a spike of anything?
Can the bc cycle without a light?
It can be done. It's sort of like how pet stores do it (well, the good ones anyways!). You'll have to watch your parameters very closely. Remember, your creatures only have you to help them if something goes wrong, so I'd recommend having some already ixed saltwater on hand. I always do because I've got such tiny tanks.
You could, but very carefully. Personally, I would go nix the sand in the 15 just because its a temporary thing. If your clam needs the sandbed, get a little cup, fill it with the sand, and stick the clam in there. Having the tank barebottom will really help you syphon out any poop or uneaten food, and you lose the risk of accidently gunking it up by stirring up the sand. I would take a little off of the top layer in the BC while it's still active, stick it in a tupperware container, and put it in the 15 while you're drying the other one. That way, you'll still have a little bit of LS to seed the rest of the sand in there.
Yes, you can cycle without a light. The bacteria that grow on the rocks and sand don't need it. In fact, it's probably better asthetically. Less of an initial diatom bloom without the lights.