troy's 29g biocube diary

troy989

what do u think its been 4 months i think ima get mandys soon. im geting hob fuge and im going to seed copepods once a month for like 3 months. and im gona put lr rubble and ls in fuge. but im most likely gona wait one or two more months for them and im probly gona seed pods once or twice before i get them.... lol im half tempted to buy the 2 being tortured at the store but i dont have enough pods

meowzer

I would not get 2 manderins....especially in a 29G.....
I would (as you stated) wait until you have the fuge and LOADS of pods

nikesb

heres what you do about the crushed coral. take a little bit out every water change. say, 1/4 out every water change. when its all gone. dont put in live sand. just put in regular cheap dead sand. saves money, and the sand will get seeded with beneficial bacteria from the rocks

fretfreak13

I'm going through the same thing with the CC. Here's what I just told someone else to do in another thread. lol
"I'm having the same exact problem with my own 6 month old tank (29 gallon) and I'm choosing to switch to black marine sand (its beautiful and really makes colors pop!). I was told I couldn't keep clams, since they bury their feet in the sand, or sand dwelling corals like brains. Also, I have a diatom issue that my many narci snails can't stir up because of the particles of CC being too large. I know there are other reasons sand is better, having something to do with nitrate gas and what not but I don't know the details about that one.
If you have any corals, especially LPS, take them out too. I would personally take out my fish too just to be safe, but leaving the LR in is fine. Scoop out the CC wearing gloves to avoid bristleworm stings. Leave a couple inches of water in that you can later syphon out, because stirring the CC will bring up a lot of ditrius and silt. Ditch that water and do a small water change to replace it. Then rinse the sand (as long as it's not "live sand") and then put it in to replace the CC. Refill the tank, check parameters, and then when all is good (and it shouldn't be too out of whack) replace your livestock. Have your fish in a temporary QT tank if you can. I'm using a ten gallon for all four of my fish when I do this, but they're all very small and I'm taking out some of the LR to give them temporary hiding places while doing this. I have a snotty damsel that likes to get in everyone's faces."

troy989

my bro has a tank cycling but "NO im not waiting an extra week to put my fish in." so i cant do it that way im gona do it nikes way

nikesb

fretfreaks's method is much better. like i said, in the end it will be the same result with his method much more safer. if you're willing to put some of your livestock at risk, go for it. try to find a dead sand that is not silica based. 10$ may not seem like alot, but buying live sand WILL cause you to cycle.

troy989

oh i didnt know that if i got live sand it will cycle then im geting dead but why is hers safer? i dont have another tank to put my live stock in

nissan577

it will. sorry bro but nike is right. maybe not a huge cycle but since your tank is a nano it will make a huge spike. in a big tank it will raise the levels up but very little.

nikesb

hers is safer because if theyre put in a tank thats not having a cycle, no matter how little it will be, the fishes and corals wont get stressed. the cycle will kill ur livestock. nano's are small volumes of water and a small shift changes everything. thats why people suggest you add volume.

troy989

i decided not to do it... its realy not worth the risks. but i got new stuf i got more watermelons for project. green acans. cool green duncan!! o and my mom got me a maxima clam.. i know my tank is a little young but my params are absolutly perfect with 500 calceum 9 kh. and my mom gave it to me for xmas. also sonny said i could haave it. o yea im puting this clam in my 90g once it gets bigger. but where should i put the clam (its aclimating)

fretfreak13

waiit a sec, you don't need a whole other tank to do this with. i'm using an empty ten gallon and just putting my LR and fish in there. You dont' even have to use another tank, do you have an empty tuppaware container you can put your fish and coral in? You can leave the LR in the tank, I'm just not because of my dumb damsel.
You don't have to wait a week, IMO, I was only waiting a few hours until the sand settled. Another cool thing I just figured out too, do you have a sump? If so, scoop out the top layer of your CC and put it in there, that's where most of the bacteria is. That way, you wont be losing it from your system entirely. Throw the rest away.

troy989

i thought the lr had bacteria. but now i might do it lol. i have one very small tank but im only gona put one fish in it because they fight