Typhoon RO/DI -- your kiddin me!!!!!!

mujtba

yo magic, u act like u know the solution to everythin else just cuz u can make a reef..
theres a reason y u cant drive till 16, vote till 18, drink till 21, gamble till 21, smoke till 21...
if age was never a factor, this world would be in crisis,,, ask ur mom

clown_nut

I think what Mujtba is tryen to say is that waisting the water is immoral...not that we are stealing water or anything like that. Like he said it's just takeing excessive advantage of our gifts. However I do agrea that degradeing someone because of there age is not needed. And I must comment that I did learn a few things from this thread.:)

mujtba

yes clown, thats what i mean... and clown by me asking the age doesnt mean i am degrading you. i ask magic about the reef many times, but he/she seems to be very sensitive when it comes to age.. and i dont see why.. its perfectly normal to ask age.. you learn things besides a reef over time. which is why i asked.. . there are many kids who are very stubborn.. i ask the age becuz i dont have time to debate children.. so i drop it.. not tryin to make enemies here. we are all tank lovers..

latino277

Birdy -- did you read this:
quote:

[hr]
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't a TDS meter measure Total DISOLVED Solids (which seems to be an oxymoron...I mean it's either solid or it's disolved...right)...
Anyway, The carbon and micron filters take out the SOLID solids (chunks, if you will) Which is Not what a TDS meter is reading...It's reading the difference in conductivity of the "saturation" of the "disolved" organics or chemicals...
So, the TDS reading from your tap does not include the "chunks" and the RO membrane through osmotic pressure differences seperates the "pure" water from the "saturated" organics/chemicals and concentrates them in the waste water...
Hence your waste water reads 20% or so higher than the tap...(236/290)
However if you ran the waste water through another "mechanical" (chunk) filter it would show up as "cleaner" than your tap...

[hr]
I am now confused. I know that the RO membrane does not leach any of the waste to the "waste water". i is absorbed into the membrane it self...
the "Waste water" is jut water that does not fit through the RO membrane.... so why does the TDS go up???? I gotta head ache..:notsure:

birdy

Yes some of the bad stuff is absorbed by the membrane but not all of it, so some of the bad is expelled with the waste water. Which is what I thought, but I just wanted to get a few people's readings to be sure.

latino277

You see... I'm not 100% sure of that. the ro membrane never comes in contact with the "waste water" so how is it going to leach any into the "waste water". there is a PVC pip surrounding the RO membrane that stops this from happening. At least on mine. Have you ever opened your RO membrane housing??

shanev

Originally posted by latino277
I am now confused. I know that the RO membrane does not leach any of the waste to the "waste water". i is absorbed into the membrane it self...
the "Waste water" is jut water that does not fit through the RO membrane.... so why does the TDS go up???? I gotta head ache..:notsure: [/B]

Its not adding stuff to the waste . Remember TDS is a percentage, usually measured in PPM. (Parts per million)
If you have one input of water at 450 PPM, and it outputs 2 streams, 1 zero PPM then the other one is going to have a the rest of the solids in it, so it will have a higher percentage of TDS.
You have a bucket of 500 M & M's. There are 400 yellows and 100 reds. ( A ratio of .25 red to yellow). You take from that bucket 100 yellows. Whats left is a bucket of 300 yellows and 100 reds. (a ratio of .33 red to yellow). You didnt increase the number of reds, just the ratio of red to yellow.
Now as far as wasting RO water, I use mine to water my plants and yard. I understand where a lot of people in this thread are coming from, as while it may be a waste it has nothing to do with the people in ethiopia. Me letting 40 gallons go down the drain or not has NO EFFECT on those people. We are not wasting their water. Its not water that if I hadnt used would have gone to them. Do we eat every single bite of food we ever have, there are hungry people out there too.

mujtba

who said we are taking water from ethiopia or wasting their water? i feel like im talkn to a brick wall. i said that there are SO MANY people all over the world who die from not having water, therefore we should be thankful and not just waste the water only because we have it..
you guys simply want to justify what you do.. thats all. make a wrong into a right. are you rebellious? sure we waste food when we eat. why do we do that? its becuz we are not in 3rd world countries suffering from hunger. but as i said, my wifes an humanitarian, and we strive not to waste water and food. its wrong. if u watch national geographic, you will see how a 2 year old passes out because he/she hasnt eaten in weeks. ull see how families die cuz they dont have fresh water. after you witness that, you wont be wasting your food or water.. its the thankless/inconsiderate/ungrateful people who waste. i go to mcdonalds, ill see a guy throw a whole meal away only cuz it didnt taste right..anyways, dont twist wat i said.. if u think im wrong, go ask ur parents. thats all im sayin.. and i aint gona preach to you guys.. like i said, its yaw world, im jus payin rent..
pe@ce

shanev

you guys simply want to justify what you do.. thats all. make a wrong into a right. are you rebellious? sure we waste food when we eat. why do we do that? its becuz we are not in 3rd world countries suffering from hunger.

First I do use my waste water, I just dont think its that big of a deal.(being higher in TDS it makes good plant food). Look what you just posted. You waste food because your not in a 3rd world country. Isnt that simply justifying what you do? Sure we fail to reclaim some waste water from some RO/DI , because we arent in a 3rd world country suffering from lack of water.
if u think im wrong, go ask ur parents. thats all im sayin.
Im 30, so I have NO idea where this is coming from.
And I am not saying lets just waste for the fun of it, but at least this isnt throwing out the water because we decided to just let it run, there was a purpose for the water.

shanev

Just out of curiosity what type of washing machine do you own? (As this is usually the number 1 or 2 water consuming use in a household)?
Top loading or side loading?

mujtba

shane, ur 30 yet u still not listening to wat im sayin.. i said sure you waste food cuz ur not in a 3rd world country after someone said we waste food when we eat. YOU doesnt imply me or my wife.. didnt u read me say we STRIVE not to waste food or water??? im tryin 2 say something positive here, and you all are tryin to justify what u do.. look i got bigger problems.. im not gona go back n forth with this.. if u find a way to use ur waste water, great... if u dont, great... its ur life..
pe@ce

shanev

Im sorry If I misread your post, I misinterepreted "WE" as you and your wife. Im not trying to say anythin negative about what your doing, it think its great you want to conserve.
I just feel if WE (including myself) try to conserve something and NO ONE BENEFITS WHATSOEVER from me conserving it, Im only doing it to make myself feel better and for no other reason.
The question on the washer relates to the newest washers that use ALOT less water. I bought the Whirlpool Duet washer that user 70% less water than a normal top loading machine. Whirlpool estimates on 10 loads a week I save 17,000 gallons a year. And that doesnt include the fact that it holds a lot lot more per load.
Are we truly trying to conserve or are we just doing it when its convieniant?

mujtba

shane, if it was up to me, i would conserve as much as i can.. thats why i said unnecessary waste isnt good. home chores is a neccessity..
anyway i dont know what my washer does.. ill look into it. thanx

bryonrw

mujtba
Water is one of those few things you can not "waste". Since the earth is a closed loop system. Your "waste" water will evaporate in to the air, once the evaporation forms enough rain droplets then it will rain. Earth science Jr. High. The only thing you are really wasting is money... but hey money is no object right ;)