U-Tube Failure

brolik1

Originally Posted by Hurt
I'm still a little confused? How much gph do you want going through this?
Its not how much I want I need help choosing the right via aqua pump.I want it to be compatible with the OF box rated 600gph. I want the proper flow like a nice circular motion.
:notsure: :help:

brolik1

And just checking, but you do realize the 1300 is rated around 200 gph at that height.
I didnt know that,I always thought it was 370 gph at 6ft.

hurt

Its not how much I want I need help choosing the right via aqua pump.I want it to be compatible with the OF box rated 600gph.
My point exactly. Do you want between 500-600 gph?

brolik1

My point exactly. Do you want between 500-600 gph?
yes I do.if thats the proper flow rate to keep up with the OF box then yes.

brolik1

the reason why im confused is that squidd told me that the via aqua pump rated at 370 gph will keep up with the OF box rated 600 gph or maybe I was just confused from the start............

hurt

You just have to make sure your overflow has a larger capacity than your return pump is "actually" pumping back into your DT. Looking at my box, it seems the 2600 will do around 500 gph at 3 feet. The 3300 is probably a bit much (around 650 gph at 3 feet), unless you add a SCWD.

brolik1

You just have to make sure your overflow has a larger
capacity than your return pump is "actually" pumping back into your DT. Looking at my box, it seems the 2600 will do around 500 gph at 3 feet. The 3300 is probably a bit much (around 650 gph at 3 feet), unless you add a SCWD.
no I dont want to add the scwd. Lets say I do get the model 1300 what will happen? will everything will just work slower?

hurt

First off, what is the size of your fuge/sump and what type of macro do you want to use for nutrient export?

brolik1

First off, what is the size of your fuge/sump and what type of macro do you want to use for nutrient export?
the sump/fuge is 10Gallons,Im going to use chaetomorpha for the nutrient export.

hurt

Lets say I do get the model 1300 what will happen? will everything will just work slower?
Probably you will be fine, but that is not a guarentee. You may very well have a build up of bubbles in your overflow that will eventually cause your overflow to lose siphon. Ideally your want just a little less(50gph) than your overflow is rated for. But I am referring to "actual" gph, not at 0 feet.

hurt

the sump/fuge is 10Gallons,Im going to use chaetomorpha for the nutrient export.
IMO, I would want more flow than 200 gph in a 10g with Chaeto. You may very well be fine, but I'd personally go with more flow. In my experience Chaeto does best in higher flow. Recently I put a ball of Chaeto in my overflow in my DT and it is growing much faster than the chaeto in my fuge. Much more "actual" flow in the overflow than the entire 20g fuge.

brolik1

IMO, I would want more flow than 200 gph in a 10g with Chaeto. You may very well be fine, but I'd personally go with more flow. In my experience Chaeto does best in higher flow. Recently I put a ball of Chaeto in my overflow in my DT and it is growing much faster than the chaeto in my fuge. Much more "actual" flow in the overflow than the entire 20g fuge.
So ill go with the one rated 480gph to be safe. And I thought chaeto does best in low flow.

brolik1

one more question. I understand I need to put a chack valve on the return line, which one should I use that will fit 3/4" vinyl tubing?

squidd

OK Lets review...
Originally Posted by Squidd
Now to pick a pump...
Again how much flow do you want from sump return...??
480gph to 500 gph "In Tank" will give you 24X turn over in DT, but 48X to 50X in sump.. :scared: Way Too Much..Let's see what your pump will do...
The Via Aqua 1800 when calced for head loss...will push 268 gph to tank...with 3/4" line...
and will do ~350 with 1" line, (1 1/2" won't help much)
So that would be a decent setup for sump/overflow/pump...at 13X turnover...
Additional flow will have to come from "In Tank Devices (powerheads, closed loop)because sump won't handle much more...OR...
Get a bigger sump to handle the return flow from DT...... :thinking:

hurt

So ill go with the one rated 480gph to be safe.
Again, you may lose siphon with that pump. At 4 feet with the VA-1800 you will have around 250-300gph. This is where the problem arises. When your overflow is rated at 600 gph, and you are only doing 250 gph, air bubbles will most likely not make all the way through your U-tube as they normally do with a higher gph. If they don't make through, they begin to add up in the top of your U-tube and eventually you will lose siphon. I could be wrong, you may be ok, but hopefully Squid can chime in. He knows far more than I about plumbing.

brolik1

lets see....
So you saying get the model 1800 pump,and put a 1" adapter or just get a 1" line and just clamp it on real tight onto the fitting of the pump to use a 1" vinyl tubing instead of the 3/4" fitting the pump has?
I have to disagree from my experience.
Thats what I thought. thanks hurt you helped clear out a few things that I was stuck on.

squidd

Originally Posted by brolik1
lets see....
So you saying get the model 1800 pump,and put a 1" adapter to use a 1" vinyl tubing instead of the 3/4" fitting the pump has? Which adapter should I use.
That pump has a barbed end... You can unscrew it and replace with 3/4"male X 1" female adaptor and then add 1" hose barb...

brolik1

Originally Posted by Squidd
That pump has a barbed end... You can unscrew it and replace with 3/4"male X 1" female adaptor and then add 1" hose barb...
I didnt know that you can unscrew the fitting on the via aquas, but ok Ill go ahead and order the model 1800 and fit in with a 1" vinyl tubing. With this everything will work fine?

squidd

When your overflow is rated at 600 gph, and you are only doing 250 gph, air bubbles will most likely not make all the way through your U-tube as they normally do with a higher gph. If they don't make through, they begin to add up in the top of your U-tube and eventually you will lose siphon.
Yes, but the overflow probably has a 1" U tube....going to 3/4" U tube will speed up the available flow to push air thru...https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/98678/j-tube-vs-contin-siphon-overflow
Cheaper than new overflow...
Or...Get a Bigger Sump to handle more flow, give you an "effective" sized fuge, and allow retun pump to give max flow to tank...20 gallon sump should do it and a Mag 7. or VA 2600, if youlike those pumps (I've used several and they're "OK" for the price, but a Mag will last longer...)