*URGENT*My frogfish looks like he's shedding, and is turning pink. Please help!!! *URGENT*

tigerbarb

The title pretty much says it all. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he won't make it, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do for the frogfish. I've quarantined him and treated him with a little copper medication, but that's it. Is this usually pretty effective? Is there anything available that will help? Sorry, but I'm really not wanting a whole lot of questions about salinity/diet/water parameters. I want to do everything I can first, then we can try and figure out what I did wrong. But what matters now is whether I can save this fish or not. Please help if you know anything about frogfish.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbarb http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3320828
The title pretty much says it all. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he won't make it, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do for the frogfish. I've quarantined him and treated him with a little copper medication, but that's it. Is this usually pretty effective? Is there anything available that will help? Sorry, but I'm really not wanting a whole lot of questions about salinity/diet/water parameters. I want to do everything I can first, then we can try and figure out what I did wrong. But what matters now is whether I can save this fish or not. Please help if you know anything about frogfish.

PM Cranberry or Saxman..they would know if anyone does.

S

smartorl

Ah, but fish don't usually just fall ill without there being a problem somewhere, so those pesky little questions help others to properly diagnose and treat the problem and the fish.

meowzer

LOL....No one is going to tell you how to treat anything.....if you are not willing to give the information needed
so if you want help...or want to save this fish...list everything about the tank...age, size, filtration, water parameters..other inhabitants...EVERYTHING

tigerbarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartorl http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3320831
Ah, but fish don't usually just fall ill without there being a problem somewhere, so those pesky little questions help others to properly diagnose and treat the problem and the fish.
I guess you're right. Well, he's been in a section of our 55g fowlr. We do weekly water changes, and I think my dad feeds him krill about once a week. Overfeeding, perhaps? The salinity's never higher than 1.025. I'd say this is a pretty mature tank, as it has been running for a while...I'm not sure how long. Other inhabitants are just a lemon peel angel, and a small damselfish (we have a divider.) Is it possible that he wasn't getting enough exercise, due to lack of room?
This illness started yesterday when we noticed a small red patch on his skin, and he was turning pale and swimming to the surface a lot. It never occurred to me that he was sick. Do you need more information?

tigerbarb

Sorry, I didn't see meowzer's post in time. Filtration is kept simple, no protein skimmers, just live rock. We bought the fish..well...I don't exactly remember, but it hasn't been a year yet. Maybe like 6 months. Sorry. I will go test the water parameters now and post the results.

levinjac

feed more IMO once a week is not enough and you really should feed your own fish take out the divider if the damsels mean just give it to your pet store a divider i just dont like them they limit room and tell ammonia nitrite nitrates ph all the parimeters not just salinity

S

smartorl

To me, it sounds as if it could be a bacterial infection if it started with a small spot. Go to the disease section, there is excellent advice and alot of pictures. Hopefully, Saxman or Cranberry will come along as they have alot of experience with that type of fish.

tigerbarb

He eats at least five shrimp in one feeding time. Wow, I was actually concerned about overfeeding, but I guess that's not a problem. This is technically my Dad's fish, considering he bought it, but I do most of the maintenance on this tank along with my nano reef. How often/how much should a frogfish be eating? I guess I'll have to take on the feeding as well.
I sound pretty ignorant, don't I...I apologize for that. I always want to do the right thing, but as soon as I found out, I was really worried about my Dad's pet.

tigerbarb

Sorry for the double post... I'm not used to receiving answers so quickly. I'll try to get a picture once I finish the water tests.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3320852
like 1 shrimp a day or two small fedings a day
*sounds buzzer*
Sorry, but you're wrong. Anglers should NOT be fed daily, in fact, a couple of "medium" feedings twice a week is plenty for them. Anglers have such a slow metabolism that the food in their GI tract can actually begin to decompose before it's digested, which will result in bloating and death. Anglers are binge-fast predators and eat a meal, then go off and digest it until they're hungry again. One needs to be careful, as a captive angler will indeed learn to beg, so the aquarist must resist this and keep it on schedule. Also, a diet of only krill isn't a very good thing for many predators, as it has been linked to various health problems, primarily lockjaw, in some species.
As for what might be ailing this particular fish, It sounds like it may be a bacterial infection, however, the darting around suggests that the fish may be headed for SAD (Sudden Angler Death), which is a mysterious malady where a fish that is doing well begins darting around the tank, usually bloats, and dies. We actually stopped keeping anglers for awhile because we lost three fish in a row to SAD.
About the best you can do at this point is put the fish in a HT and treat it with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Furan 2.
HTH
Do keep us posted.

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3321079
see i didnt know ive never kept anglers and i agree krill is not enough
Please take this in the spirit in which it's intended...I know the hobby excites you and that's fabulous, but you need to chill in terms of giving advice on subjects that you have no experience with. Overfeeding an angler can kill it, pure and simple. They're oddball, special needs fish and have their own set of do's and don'ts.
Cheers!

aquaknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by levinjac http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3321079
see i didnt know ive never kept anglers and i agree krill is not enough
Not so much "enough", but more like krill just never, ever, should be fed. There is not a compelling argument nutritionally for krill, at best I've seen some mention of krill having color enhancing properties. But the bottomline is there are better alternatives out there, so why bother and run the risks? If the krill is that freeze-dried stuff in a can, that only makes the problems worse. The freeze-drying process remove most of subsistence from krill.

levinjac

well i meant not that good of a variety JUST krill this goes with every fish u need a variety and saxman i actually read that i seriouly will never trust that sight again i always find sights with wrong info

J

jstdv8

tigerbarb

Thank you, your advice is really helpful.
Sadly, there was nothing we could have done for the angler by the time we realized he was sick. We're pretty sure it was a bacterial infection, probably from hitting himself on one of the rocks in the tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman http:///forum/thread/381324/urgent-my-frogfish-looks-like-he-s-shedding-and-is-turning-pink-please-help-urgent#post_3320997
*sounds buzzer*
Sorry, but you're wrong. Anglers should NOT be fed daily, in fact, a couple of "medium" feedings twice a week is plenty for them. Anglers have such a slow metabolism that the food in their GI tract can actually begin to decompose before it's digested, which will result in bloating and death. Anglers are binge-fast predators and eat a meal, then go off and digest it until they're hungry again. One needs to be careful, as a captive angler will indeed learn to beg, so the aquarist must resist this and keep it on schedule. Also, a diet of only krill isn't a very good thing for many predators, as it has been linked to various health problems, primarily lockjaw, in some species.
As for what might be ailing this particular fish, It sounds like it may be a bacterial infection, however, the darting around suggests that the fish may be headed for SAD (Sudden Angler Death), which is a mysterious malady where a fish that is doing well begins darting around the tank, usually bloats, and dies. We actually stopped keeping anglers for awhile because we lost three fish in a row to SAD.
About the best you can do at this point is put the fish in a HT and treat it with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Furan 2.
HTH
Do keep us posted.