VHO bulb color

rhino

I have a light setup that has 2 140w 60" bulbs. I have been having trouble finding the spectrum I want. First of all these will be on before and after the metal halides which will acount for 50% of the time the tank is lit. So I am very concerned how they look. I started off buying them with 2 10k. It was way to white/yellow. I then replaced one of the bulbs with an actinic 03 thinking I was putting blue into the light mix. Wrong...It came out a pinkish color. What bulbs do I need to achieve a 100% blue color. These ads for the actinic 03 state blue. Liars

J

jrthomas40

if you want just straight blue put 2 of the actinic blues in...that is a pic of my 90g with 2 of the actinic 03

J

jrthomas40

mine are coralife actinic 03....i took one of my blues out and put in an actinic white

J

jrthomas40

are you talking about with the actinic white and actinic blue??

rhino

Yes and thanks- Currently i am using a 10k and an 03 and it gives a violet glow, but I want a blue visible spectrum. What does your actinic white and actinic 03 put off visually?

J

jrthomas40

like a cool white with a touch of pink...kinda like a sunset/ raise...i can get a pic up later tonight when they come on...but if you dont like the 10k & actinic i dont think you will like the actinic white

bang guy

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
like a cool white with a touch of pink...kinda like a sunset/ raise...i can get a pic up later tonight when they come on...but if you dont like the 10k & actinic i dont think you will like the actinic white
True, my mistake. I thought the color wanted was bluish white.
Actinic at the 420nm peak is actually purple and right on the edge of the visible spectrum. As a result it will look different to different people. For an actual blue color you'll want something around 460nm. I don't actually know of any VHOs that peak at 460 but I'm sure they exist.

jlem

I have always liked the look of a Coralife 10K bulb and a Coralife Actinic 03. I used the Coralife for a few years and really liked them. The URI's Actinic Whites I think are better for gorwth, but are to pink for my liking.

J

jrthomas40

Originally Posted by jlem
I have always liked the look of a Coralife 10K bulb and a Coralife Actinic 03. I used the Coralife for a few years and really liked them. The URI's Actinic Whites I think are better for gorwth, but are to pink for my liking.

yeah im not so sure how much i like the actinic white myself...but i have a 10k ordered...i had a 10k and actinic before i put the hqi...i missed the pic tonight cuz i had to work so i will try in the morning

rudezuk

I just played with my VHO lights tonight trying to find a nice color combination.
Well I think I found one..
First i tried 2 Blue Actinics, 1 Actinic White and 1 Aquasun.....It was a little pink.
I added 1 Aquasun and took out the Actinic White....The pink tone got worse.
So I went to 3 Blue Actinics and 1 Actinic white...The darker colors in the tank were tough to make out the details.
What I ended up with was 2 Blue Actinics, and 2 Actinic Whites.......This was a nice whiter light with a blue tint that greens and oranges really pop and you can see the details of the darker colors really well too!
These were all 36" URI bulbs, the tank is 36x18 with a mix of soft corals and fish.

fishfreek

You could also try replacing one of the white actinics with a 6500k NO bulb if you are using an IC ballast. This kind of balances out the white light, IMO.

J

jrthomas40

well i guess it is a little late now but here is the actinic white and actinic 03

rhino

My ballast is an "ARO" from "hellolights". Can u run normal ouput bulbs on VHO. Also mine are 60" , do they make NO bulbs in that shape?

rhino

Thanks for the pic mine looks almost exactly the same with my 10k and 03. I think I will have to replace the 10k with an 03 to achieve the blue color. I just think the violet is unnatuaral looking and love the deepblue. Now I also run 3 175w MH for 4-5 hours and they are 20k wich then make the tank crisp blue. I am working when these are on so I never get to see the tank when it is at its purtiest.

rudezuk

No you cant.
Get some URI Super Actinics on there. If it is too blue, get a Actinic White for the other bulb.
The 6500k lights are pretty yellow.