Vick Enters A Plea...

pontius

Originally Posted by FORD81502
Who deserved to be in prision
Child molesters, robbery, murders or Dog fighting
BIG CHECK MARK RIGHT HERE

um, you do realize this is not an "either/or" situation, right? just because murderers, robbers, and child molesters deserve to go to prison means that dog killers DON'T deserve to go to prison? where did you come up with that logic?

pontius

Originally Posted by FORD81502
Guys he will get 1 year in the pen let off for good behavior after three months then go on probation.... Then i will be at home watching him on TV breaking DB and LB's ankles.... He is HANDS DOWN THE MOST ENTERTAINING PLAYER ON THE FIELD AT ANY TIME.......
Since Mr Mexico has been in the league, the Falcons have won more than 8 games TWICE. and one of those seasons was 9 wins. 8 wins is 50%, and you pretty much have to win 9-11 games to even be a wild card team. so what's so "entertaining" about Mr Mexico, that he can run around a lot? lol. I guess Falcons fans are "entertained" in their team's mediocrity.
now, I'm a Panthers fan and I live right next door to Georgia, so I hear a lot of news coming from Atlanta and their fans. they were slowly coming to the realization that he was NEVER going to get them to the promised land. he IS a coach killer, he has very little accuracy, and his mentality seems to be "run first". my guess is that at best, he had 1-2 more seasons to produce before being benched or shipped off to another team. there was talk last season about him being moved to WR, which he rejected. this could possibly be the best thing to happen for the Falcons because now they'll be able to get out of his contract. I bet they are kicking themselves for getting rid of Schaub.

digitydash

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Has Vick been charged with tax evasion yet? That's where he'll serve some real jail time.
I think thats why he took the plea so he didn't get tax evasion or other charges because the feds where in court this morning to indite him on more charges if he didn't plea out.

bang guy

Originally Posted by digitydash
I think thats why he took the plea so he didn't get tax evasion or other charges because the feds where in court this morning to indite him on more charges if he didn't plea out.
I see, thx.

turningtim

Has anyone heard if the state still plans to go after him. I would have to imagine that he would not have plead out if this wasn't in place.

crimzy

I somewhat disagree with throwing him in prison for long term. Granted he won't play for a while and that's fine, but as far as prison goes he should not be martyred just because he is in the public eye. I have represented many people with much more severe offenses and they did not get a fraction of what people are talking about with Vick. Joe Shmoe on the street, if he had no priors, would do less than a year for these offenses. Keep the guy out of the game but don't sacrifice him just because he's a celebrity. Give him his 9 months and let him do his probation like everybody else.

rylan1

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Has anyone heard if the state still plans to go after him. I would have to imagine that he would not have plead out if this wasn't in place.
They can and can charge him with a felony. If they do persue this it will be overkill and a direct attempt for the VA DA to get some publicity. But I agree this crime is bad, but for him to get a long sentence would be (like crimzy said) an attempt to martyr this guy because of his celebrity. I think he may get back into the league after a suspension if he wants to. The main issue is the gambling to the NFL not the dog fighting, expecially with this thing going on in the NBA right now, its bad timing to get caught gambling in a professional sport league right now.... What ever happened with that sports gambling ring that was tied to the Gretzky's?

digitydash

Originally Posted by crimzy
I somewhat disagree with throwing him in prison for long term. Granted he won't play for a while and that's fine, but as far as prison goes he should not be martyred just because he is in the public eye. I have represented many people with much more severe offenses and they did not get a fraction of what people are talking about with Vick. Joe Shmoe on the street, if he had no priors, would do less than a year for these offenses. Keep the guy out of the game but don't sacrifice him just because he's a celebrity. Give him his 9 months and let him do his probation like everybody else.
So what your saying fighting dogs,and hanging 5 dogs and didin't kill 2 of them from the hanging,so he drownded them instead this is ok.It more than just fighting dogs.Spraying dogs down with water and electricude them.You find all of this ok??Non of you that support Vick probly have ever owned a dog or any animal the way u all talk like it no big deal.If you did lety me come over and hang your if it ok then,Yea I didn't think so.
He is lucky he didn't get racketiring that would of put him away alot longer then this charge is going to.So he is geting of easy in my book.Without his money their would of been no dog fight going on in his property.He is not so inocent as you think if he was he would of fought it if he had any proof of his inocence

jtrzerocool

So what your saying fighting dogs,and hanging 5 dogs and didin't kill 2 of them from the hanging,so he drownded them instead this is ok.It more than just fighting dogs.Spraying dogs down with water and electricude them.You find all of this ok??Non of you that support Vick probly have ever owned a dog or any animal the way u all talk like it no big deal.If you did lety me come over and hang your if it ok then,Yea I didn't think so.
its ok to feel strongly but there is no reason to try and get a thread closed.

crimzy

I appreciate your passion and I have 2 dogs. But I have spent years of my life involved in the criminal justice system. I believe in equality and due process that should apply to everyone, regardless of how much press this case gets. Take a look at how many first offenders get lengthy prison terms for animal cruelty and dog fighting. To punish Vick more severely than a regular guy with similar circumstances is really just adding to his punishment just because he's an athlete. Justice should be blind to social prejudices. "Should" being the key word.

rylan1

I appreciate your passion and I have 2 dogs. But I have spent years of my life involved in the criminal justice system. I believe in equality and due process that should apply to everyone, regardless of how much press this case gets. Take a look at how many first offenders get lengthy prison terms for animal cruelty and dog fighting. To punish Vick more severely than a regular guy with similar circumstances is really just adding to his punishment just because he's an athlete. Justice should be blind to social prejudices. "Should" being the key word.

Thats all I've been saying and the reason why I started the people vs animals thread... it seems to me that public opnion in many cases sways court rulings, and that in many cases people recieve unjust penalties.

pontius

this is not a case where a couple of idiots decided to get together and have a dog fight in their backyard (not that this would be acceptable either). this is a LARGE scale dog fighting operation where they were housing and training 60+ dogs, selling the dogs on the internet, fighting them onsite, trading hundreds of thousands of dollars on the fights, etc etc. If he got more than a year, it would NOT be the toughest ever sentence for dogfighting. I have read stories of owners of fighting rings get more time than this, so don't act like Ron Mexico is being punished more than a "regular" guy would be.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Pontius
this is not a case where a couple of idiots decided to get together and have a dog fight in their backyard (not that this would be acceptable either). this is a LARGE scale dog fighting operation where they were housing and training 60+ dogs, selling the dogs on the internet, fighting them onsite, trading hundreds of thousands of dollars on the fights, etc etc. If he got more than a year, it would NOT be the toughest ever sentence for dogfighting. I have read stories of owners of fighting rings get more time than this, so don't act like Ron Mexico is being punished more than a "regular" guy would be.
But most people want Vick punished severely but aren't really interested in the sentences of his cohorts (who happen to not be famous). You may disagree but I believe that the outrage has more to do with who Michael Vick is than what he did. The fact is that any one of us can take our dogs/cats to the vet to be killed (put to sleep) for a small charge and it's not even against the law. There is obviously a difference but the point is that the law treats pets as possessions. If you disagree with this than you should contact your local legislature.
I have seen dangerous people shuffled quickly through the system and released. What goal is achieved by throwing Vick under the prison? Aside from vengeance?
While it may not come across this way, I am not a huge Vick supporter. I really don't even care if Vick gets a lifetime ban from football. People do not have any constitutional protection to play in the NFL. However, I do believe that justice fails when we engage in selective punishment/prosecution. Due process exists because we strive for fairness and equality in the courts. No exception should be made here.

ruaround

But most people want Vick punished severely but aren't really interested in the sentences of his cohorts (who happen to not be famous). You may disagree but I believe that the outrage has more to do with who Michael Vick is than what he did. The fact is that any one of us can take our dogs/cats to the vet to be killed (put to sleep) for a small charge and it's not even against the law. There is obviously a difference but the point is that the law treats pets as possessions. If you disagree with this than you should contact your local legislature.
I have seen dangerous people shuffled quickly through the system and released. What goal is achieved by throwing Vick under the prison? Aside from vengeance?
While it may not come across this way, I am not a huge Vick supporter. I really don't even care if Vick gets a lifetime ban from football. People do not have any constitutional protection to play in the NFL. However, I do believe that justice fails when we engage in selective punishment/prosecution. Due process exists because we strive for fairness and equality in the courts. No exception should be made here.
well put...

pontius

Crimzy, they have sentencing guidelines. if he is sentenced under the guidelines, I see no complaint to be made. like somebody on the radio pointed out yesterday, it took hundreds of thousands of dollars to set this ring in motion. from the property, to the equipment, the technology, the training, advertising on the internet, etc etc. so without Mr Mexico's money, this would NOT have happened. even if it was not his original idea to start, he could have avoided by simply saying, "hey, I'm not getting involved in this and I'm not spending my money for me or my friends to be involved in it either". so in that sense, by throwing his financial clout into it to get it started, he is MORE responsible than the others.

geridoc

Let's not forget that there punishment has two different roles - one, to bring retribution on the criminal for his/her behavior, and two, to deter others from doing the same thing. This latter role has led people like the recently departed Leona Helmsley to spend time in jail for what were really very minor charges. The law is blind, but not stupid, and it does recognize the deterrence value of punishing famous people.

ruaround

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
Let's not forget that there punishment has two different roles - one, to bring retribution on the criminal for his/her behavior, and two, to deter others from doing the same thing. This latter role has led people like the recently departed Leona Helmsley to spend time in jail for what were really very minor charges. The law is blind, but not stupid, and it does recognize the deterrence value of punishing famous people.
kind of goin off topic her, but... do you think that

[hr]

[hr]
or Lindsay Lohan are/were treated like any other joe??? did their punishment deteur you from the crimes they commited???

digitydash

Originally Posted by ruaround
kind of goin off topic her, but... do you think that

[hr]

[hr]
or Lindsay Lohan are/were treated like any other joe??? did their punishment deteur you from the crimes they commited???
they got off easy but lindsay will not get off easy the next court case she going to have.