Vodka Dosing.

9supratt4

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3218539
If you post up a picture we can help. Are the white tips new since you started dosing? Burnt tips aren't actually from the vodka but from an alkalinity level higher than natural seawater (7-8 dKH) while dosing.
Some of the tips are new...some are not...I wasn't getting great growth before, so I thought maybe now with the better conditions the corals were growing more. I do still have polyp extension from most of the tips.
My alk is at a 10. So that could be it. I will have to let it drop and keep it around 7-8.

florida joe

just a side note I had been dosing for quite sometime, nitrates went down as stayed there. The down side is that i lost a large amount of algae Coraline included. I have stopped dosing for a month now nitrates remain on the lower end of the scale and my Coraline have started to comeback.

9supratt4

Joe....I have heard about losing the coraline. Did you lose it everywhere?? I've spoken to people who have said they've lost it on the glass, but kept it on their rocks.

florida joe

actually i lost more on the rocks what had formed on my glass i still have to scrap and the acrylic that my refuge is made out of still has an abundance

spanko

I can definitely say the coralline is bleaching and crumbling off the glass but my rockwork seems to have the same color as it has.

renogaw

ok...ive got the vodka, i've got three different nitrate/phosphate test kits...i've got no nitrates/phosphates testable. so, if i start dosing vodka, it says to stay at the level where my N/P starts going down--if i'm at zero now, how do i know when to level off?

spanko

Originally Posted by renogaw
http:///forum/post/3222590
ok...ive got the vodka, i've got three different nitrate/phosphate test kits...i've got no nitrates/phosphates testable. so, if i start dosing vodka, it says to stay at the level where my N/P starts going down--if i'm at zero now, how do i know when to level off?
I think we need to know the reason for dosing here Ren. Doesn't appear that you want to reduce N&P as you are not reading any now.
I started for SPS polyp extension and color where I can feed for the coral and not have N&P rise over the already zero readings I was getting. However I know I did have it at the time because I was growing macro algae, and some pest too. After a while of dosing my Chaetomorpha died in the fuge section and the Caulerpa problem has gone away and never returned. So there is an added benefit in my mind.

florida joe

After a while of dosing my Chaetomorpha died in the fuge section and the Caulerpa problem has gone away and never returned. So there is an added benefit in my mind.
I believe this to be an absolute also

renogaw

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3222937
so we can assume you are dosing for coral enhancement
Yes, but i also have algae problems that are probably eating up my N&P
Originally Posted by spanko

http:///forum/post/3223176
I think we need to know the reason for dosing here Ren. Doesn't appear that you want to reduce N&P as you are not reading any now.
I started for SPS polyp extension and color where I can feed for the coral and not have N&P rise over the already zero readings I was getting. However I know I did have it at the time because I was growing macro algae, and some pest too. After a while of dosing my Chaetomorpha died in the fuge section and the Caulerpa problem has gone away and never returned. So there is an added benefit in my mind.
this is basically my situation

spanko

I did not pay attention to the start with this much and increase until the bacteria bloom then cut back by 1/2 stuff. I have a 29 biocube and started literally with like 2 drops a day and worked up to a level where I could see what I wanted to happen, happening. I now do 8 drops a day. No algae, clear water, clean glass and most importantly my SPS look better than they ever have.

renogaw

yup, i've seen that chart, but it says to stop increasing when you get a drop in nitrates. if i don't show any nitrates, false negative or no, how do i know when to stop increasing?

spanko

Again, I stopped when I started to see what I was looking for, better polyp extension and color. In your case I would guess that when the algae starts to show that it is dying off, perhaps stay at the level for a while as the maintenance dose.