Want Tips from +10 year old reef veterans Please .

geoj

Your tank is doing much better after you have read my guides huh? C'mmon, admit it! lol
Your guides :rotfl: You mean the guides that have the SWF 10 year Vets Knowledge in them.
Thanks for gathering their info, into a good guide Snake... PEZ
2013 - 10 = 2003 :laughing:
PS: Sorry in advance if this is taken the wrong way, I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings...
Maybe I should not post this hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Click

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508526
Your guides
You mean the guides that have the SWF 10 year Vets Knowledge in them.
Thanks for gathering their info, into a good guide Snake... PEZ
2013 - 10 = 2003

PS: Sorry in advance if this is taken the wrong way, I did not intend to hurt anyone's feelings...
Maybe I should not post this hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Click
Lots of people give advice here, and we got that advice originally from those on the site at one time or another...and I think Snake was having some fun...but he did indeed take the time to make a guide, which has been very helpful.

beaslbob

My "guides" tend to be a little more succinct.
I keep trying to make them longer but get all confused just typing them out.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaslbob http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508565
My "guides" tend to be a little more succinct.
I keep trying to make them longer but get all confused just typing them out.
LOL..I learned a new word, I had to look up succint (succinct). It does take lots of effort to to meticulously typeout, what in the end would be a book if it were printed. To be honest I had started typing out information, and saving it in Micrsoft word to copy paste the answers to questions asked on the site so many times by different people. Snake did a good service and he said "Snakes method of __fill in the blank__" so that folks knew there were other answers to the same question.

2quills

Seth has done a good service for this place by taking the time to gather up all of that accumilitive info with the addition of his own experience so that the noobies and semi experienced have a place to get info where they can cut right to the chase.
We should cut him some slack. At least he's not running around here for the sole purpose of critizing all of the little things that other people say.

acrylic51

With that bio load I wouldn't be so quick to pull your Purigen or other phos removing tools for macro....They might be "great", but on a scale this large I'd continue to use what you have and add the macro, but I highly doubt that the macros alone will be the "defining" tool to handle removal.....I add this statement only for that fact if that was the case why would many be looking at vodka and other dosing methods if the macro was the "cure all".....Not being a "Debbie Downer", but this is large scale, and that's a ton of macro were not talking a handful.....A properly sized scrubber would be more effective for removal.
I also argue the point in using macros to remove/strip elements from the water column thus harvesting the macros and then feeding them to the tangs....Sounds very counter productive IMO, as your not really removing squat from the system IMO

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508904
I also argue the point in using macros to remove/strip elements from the water column thus harvesting the macros and then feeding them to the tangs....Sounds very counter productive IMO, as your not really removing squat from the system IMO
Feeding a little to the tangs won't pose too great a problem as far as adding it back to the system. Any fish food you add is going to introduce phosphates...you really don't have to feed anything to the tangs if you really are concerned... A phosphate reactor will help more than Purigen or Chemipure. The beauty of maroalgae is that it feeds on nitrates and phosphates, it also feeds on the extra organic nutrients that the coral doesn't use....which is why a scrubber means you won't need a skimmer to do that. An algae scrubber and macroalgae do the same thing.
Macroalgae must be harvested to be effective, and it only needs to be done to remove overgrowth, according to how often it is needed...but it isn't as often as an algae scrubber needs attention. a scrubber must be cleaned each week.
Like I said, the option needs to be out there for folks to make an educated decision. It also needs to be understood to get the right type of macro for your system, a refugium means you can put it in there so you can get the fast growing type like Chaeto. If the macro is placed in the DT you must select one that isn't invasive so you can control the growth.
There are always other methods, and they work. Macroalgae, or a an algae scrubber are the cheapest and most effective way IMO.

ivasawajin

You cant get Enough Filteration . Thats my Moto . Skimming , purigen , refugium and reactor and ... all work well with each other , i believe different type of filteration works just fine . i dont feed my tang the stuff i throw away from my fuge just in case .

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvasawaJin http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508923
You cant get Enough Filteration . Thats my Moto . Skimming , purigen , refugium and reactor and ... all work well with each other , i believe different type of filteration works just fine . i dont feed my tang the stuff i throw away from my fuge just in case .
I agree.....Nothing is 100% affective at removal, and I don't believe there's 1 magical bullet to control the issues....I think a combination of macros, skimmer or algae scrubber is the best approach......I do believe that a skimmer and macros or scrubbers can work hand in hand....I don't believe that 1 would totally negate the other.....With your bio load though I'd seriously consider something though......I'd be more apt to stick with the GFO or such....Chemipure I wouldn't even waste my time on.....A good product, but don't think it's near effective as GFO and my other option would be to look at a recirc bio pellet reactor.....That will control nitrate and phosphate issues as well......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508920
Feeding a little to the tangs won't pose too great a problem as far as adding it back to the system. Any fish food you add is going to introduce phosphates...you really don't have to feed anything to the tangs if you really are concerned... A phosphate reactor will help more than Purigen or Chemipure. The beauty of maroalgae is that it feeds on nitrates and phosphates, it also feeds on the extra organic nutrients that the coral doesn't use....which is why a scrubber means you won't need a skimmer to do that. An algae scrubber and macroalgae do the same thing.
Macroalgae must be harvested to be effective, and it only needs to be done to remove overgrowth, according to how often it is needed...but it isn't as often as an algae scrubber needs attention. a scrubber must be cleaned each week.
Like I said, the option needs to be out there for folks to make an educated decision. It also needs to be understood to get the right type of macro for your system, a refugium means you can put it in there so you can get the fast growing type like Chaeto. If the macro is placed in the DT you must select one that isn't invasive so you can control the growth.
There are always other methods, and they work. Macroalgae, or a an algae scrubber are the cheapest and most effective way IMO.
Flower that is my argument.....The macro is absorbing all the crap we are trying to remove from the closed system....Then you'd add it back as a food source; no matter how small amount it's still loaded with "crap" and then the fish and stuff are still adding pollutants to the water column and then they eat stuff loaded with waste and then expel it back into the system....Seems very counter productive to me.......I guess the best analogy I can use would be like running a skimmer and collecting a cup of good skim mate and then realizing your sump is low on water and to bring it back to the correct level you drain some of the skim mate back into the sump.....What would be the real difference.......
I'm pretty sure I read the cleaning time of the algae screen isn't a week anymore....I thought I had read that its closer to every other week......but could vary depending on your load, but weekly I'm pretty sure has been outdated.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508937
I agree.....Nothing is 100% affective at removal, and I don't believe there's 1 magical bullet to control the issues....I think a combination of macros, skimmer or algae scrubber is the best approach......I do believe that a skimmer and macros or scrubbers can work hand in hand....I don't believe that 1 would totally negate the other.....With your bio load though I'd seriously consider something though......I'd be more apt to stick with the GFO or such....Chemipure I wouldn't even waste my time on.....A good product, but don't think it's near effective as GFO and my other option would be to look at a recirc bio pellet reactor.....That will control nitrate and phosphate issues as well......
Flower that is my argument.....The macro is absorbing all the crap we are trying to remove from the closed system....Then you'd add it back as a food source; no matter how small amount it's still loaded with "crap" and then the fish and stuff are still adding pollutants to the water column and then they eat stuff loaded with waste and then expel it back into the system....Seems very counter productive to me.......I guess the best analogy I can use would be like running a skimmer and collecting a cup of good skim mate and then realizing your sump is low on water and to bring it back to the correct level you drain some of the skim mate back into the sump.....What would be the real difference.......
I'm pretty sure I read the cleaning time of the algae screen isn't a week anymore....I thought I had read that its closer to every other week......but could vary depending on your load, but weekly I'm pretty sure has been outdated.
The frequency thing is why I never opted for the algae-scrubber...two weeks or a week....too much for my liking. I'm sure it has been tweaked to the better since I read up on it.
LOL...on your analogy of the skimmer...If your water was low and thus the SG out of control low, I would pour the skim back into the system since it would be the lesser of two evils. I actually had it happen to me...my skimmer was running too wet and the large cup was filling up too fast, if I dumped that water out I would be dumping my saltwater too fast to be able to keep up...so I pured it back into the sump and tweaked my skimmer to work properly.
Every time you feed the fish..pellets, frozen or flake food, you are adding phosphate into the system, which they poop back out into the system. Rinsed frozen, IMO offers the least amount to be put in the tank. So whether you feed your fish a little of the macroalgae, or processed food...you are adding crap into the tank. In nature fish eat other smaller live fish... or sea-life depending on the critter. But I must agree wholeheartedly that using a few different methods increases the efficiency of removal of all the nasty out of the water.
I used a skimmer and Aquaripure to keep my reef happy...now because I have a fish only systems of seahorses, I use macroalgae...and the Aquaripure is still going strong in both tanks...I do still have the skimmer the 90g... each tank is different on what methods work best...each of us just needs to figure out what that is.

acrylic51

There was a study done, that proved the rinsing of frozen food vs what is puts into the system is mute!!!!!!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/394168/want-tips-from-10-year-old-reef-veterans-please/20#post_3508999
There was a study done, that proved the rinsing of frozen food vs what is puts into the system is mute!!!!!!
LOL...I remember taking that stand, and just about all our SWF professors corrected me on thinking my rinsed frozen food was not adding any phosphates that I needed to worry about. In the end it was concluded that no matter what we do...the phosphates will come. I gave up caring, and rinsed and fed my frozen foods. I have a ton of macros...tests on phosphates and nitrates read 0...my life is good.