water change

beaslbob

Originally posted by Bek
That is a beautiful tank and I must tell you that mine looks just as clear and healthy as that one. I don't have as much "green" plant life but I do have more hard and soft corals.

thanks. Maybe we should just keep it our secret. I get the definate impression that to keep anything alive in tanks especially reef tanks, you got do a lot of work. Just letting mother nature take care of the system is unheard of. :D

reefnut

mine looks just as clear and healthy as that one.

Clear is an achievement for Bob but clear doesn't mean healthy. What are your levels? Nitrates, alk, calcium, phosphates, etc?

beaslbob

Originally posted by ReefNut
Clear is an achievement for Bob but clear doesn't mean healthy. What are your levels? Nitrates, alk, calcium, phosphates, etc?

:D Gee kinda thought clear was an achievement for anyone :D
FYI I have had three instances of cloudy water since the late 70's. So clear is an achievement and normal
for me.
As far as parameters go I never measure parameters on my planted freshwater tanks. I just do what works. 30 healthy, active and reproducing fish in a 10g tank that only requires replacing evaporative water and adding food, is working. The same system has had similiar results in many tanks in many cities since the late 70's.
parameters on the macro algae tank. nitrates 0.0.
on the 55g tank. currently nitrates 20ppm from LFS 20-40ppm with my possibly reading too high test kit. No brown algae in the tank indicates phosphates are negligable. calc 300-350ppm and trending up. ph 8.2-8.4. Don't see any need to change anything.

broomer5

Just letting mother nature take care of the system is unheard of.
Oh I couldn't agree more !
I'm sure that by adding tapwater for all top offs and NEVER changing the saltwater in that tank ...... that Mother Nature will definately take care of it - eventually.
Mother Nature allows for wonderful natural processes to occur.
Mother Nature is the perfect custodian of nature - outdoors that is.
She is unforgiving when it comes to accumulated toxins in a closed system. Plants or no plants, in my opinion bob, that tank will crash someday. For the sake of you, your fish and corals ...... I hope later - not sooner.
Good luck with your tank.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by Bek
That is a beautiful tank and I must tell you that mine looks just as clear and healthy as that one. I don't have as much "green" plant life but I do have more hard and soft corals.

I pray to God that you also have appropriate lights over your tank, you do some water changes (in a 30 it should be a federal mandate) and you do not use tap water ....

overanalyzer

Originally posted by beaslbob
see what i mean bek? :rolleyes: :D

Yeah Bek - see - there are several people who try to give quality advice while some boob runs around spouting off bad advice.
It may seem like I am being harsh - but 3300K bulbs are not meant for a reef tank ... and bob just gives some plan out bad advice.
There are a lot of things that bob does that I agree with but some of it is just plain out ludicrous.... and to advocate not changing water in a small enclosed system (especially in a nano tank) is just about the worst advice I have ever heard!!
Sorry - I usually don't go off on people and I am not usually this exciteable (that SUV OT Thread withstanding) - but bob is giving out horrible advice. Now in a nice large - huge system - in frequent to non-existent water changes might work very well .... but even the ocean's reefs have continual water changes .... but in a nano - not doing water changes is a recipe for disasaster ....

reefnut

IMO one day Bob's tank will crash and when that day comes what will he tell the people that accually took his advice???? oooops:rolleyes:

reefnut

It's kind of funny... I was just looking on the other board and there is a on going thread about water changes. A hand full says no water changes and the fast majority say water change (so I guess it's not just this board;) ) something else is the leader of the NO WATER CHANGE debate showed a pic of his tank :eek:. Let's just say he and I have a different opinion on what is a good looking tank. Search around, the majority with nice tanks believe in water changes.

S

slofish

Originally posted by Bek
I have 2 fish - a purple tank and a coral beauty

How long have you had these fish in your tank and how big are they? Any pics of these guys

sammystingray

As a hobbiest for around ten years, and a member here working on my fourth year.....don't listen to beaslbob.....trust me. Macros do clean the water, but WTF beaslbob....don't you know there are other ways or what? Macro algae in the ocean is currently destroying acres and acres of life daily.....it is just about considered a disaster. Some macros grow a foot a day....this is why people keep them in seperate tanks...the slow growing stuff does NOT clean the water near as much obviously, but would be a much better choice than the fast ones. Do you have any idea how PISSED someone would be if they throw in taxifolia not knowing how fast it grows, or that it will smother all life if not constantly removed? How about some razor? that stuff is soooo hard to even remove? You offer no tips but to "throw in some macro"??? People with "real" lights have had to shut tanks down and start over due to macros in their main tank....the only other choice is constant removal or having fish that will keep it down. It's fine you say to use it, and that's your opinion, but you CONSTANTLY fail to give any info on what will occur. My brothers girlfriend has grape in her main tank........she is currently deciding whether or not to shut it down.....every single rock is completely entangled, and if she does restart.....every dollar she paid for the liverock at 9 bucks a pound will be lost.

overanalyzer

Originally posted by sammystingray
Just about everytime you post, someone has to jump in and let the person with the question know your advice is very questionable.....bottom line.....start giving a warning about certain growth rates and what needs to be done, or quit pushing main tank algaes in EVERY post...

A-freaking-MEN!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

T

trkdoc

Geeeeseeeessssss.....I didn't mean to start a war here guys.
Guess water changes aren't as simple as you say....thanks to everybody for the imput - think I'll just take it slow and easy. I am very happy with what I have now......why mess with perfection.

overanalyzer

if Bek and Trkdoc are one in the same then a 30 gallon with no water changes for the past 8 months is pushing the limits ....
I'd really suggest that you do some small partial water changes once a month ... anything large would be a huge shock @ this point. So like a 3-5 gallon change now and another in 3-4 weeks ....

beaslbob

Originally posted by MykGillespie
Does your town run a Ca Reactor on the water supply perhaps?:D

don't know. But have discussed tap water with a materials engineer here at work. His first love was chemistry and he did work on the fresh water system on the space suhttle. According to him tap water has a very high ph (8-9 and higher) specifically to prevent coorsion in plumbing systems. My local small town alabama water authority reports 30 ppm phosphates, 40ppm nitrates, and 50 ppm calcium. The phosphates and nitrates are easliy consumed by plant life and much less than the phosphates and nitrates added through biological action. The values are also well within federal drinking guidlines and representative of values I have seen reported on various forums. So basically you have a high ph water source with calcium. Does that sound like a calcium reactor with a small amount of plant food?

beaslbob

Just some general and minor stuff here.
Over: I stated the bulbs were 3300 lumens not 3300k.
Sammy: As I understand your post(s) here, If I do not walk and talk your line here then I am done. I thought this was an open forum (as long as people do not advertise competors). I have learned much and even setup a refugium as a result of being a member here. If I must warn people of the dangers of macro algae then do you and other posters also have to warn people of the dangers of ro/di water, dripping kalk and dosing, inaccurate test kits, skimmers, floods from sumps and refugiums, heat and evaporation problems with pc and mh lighting, waterchanges, and everything else? Seems to me the real value is to openly discuss various systems and methods. In that way various methods can be openly compared to give all people a change to decide which paticular method works best for them. I just don't feel the best system is where it is total disaster when a macro attacks a $9.00/pound live rock.
BEK see i told ya :D