"We will not rest"

oscardeuce

Well, shouldn't you leave Hawaii and go back to the Whitehouse then Mr. President? Another terror attack, and more words, from vacation.
The ticket was paid for in cash and no bags were checked for a 2 weeks stay in Detroit.
Do the math.....
Provide for our common defense.

veni vidi vici

I think he should just stay in Hawaii.Every time he talks ...weakness spews from his words. He might even be a weaker President that Carter was.
His words of weakness only embolden these cowards.

bionicarm

The State Department during the BUSH REGIME gave him a 2 year VISA. How is this Obama's fault? Don't tell me, "Because Beck said it was."

bang guy

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3197172
The State Department during the BUSH REGIME gave him a 2 year VISA. How is this Obama's fault? Don't tell me, "Because Beck said it was."

This is definately not Obama's fault IMO. What happens in response is though. All the TSA changes being made are just useless knee-jerk reactions. We should see next year what is really going to happen.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3197172

And if he'd been denied all you leftist pigs would have been screaming racial profiling

Obama should get on a plane, fly back to DC and fire that idiot he put in change of Homeland security. Her idea of the system working was the detonator failing. I can't even put enough laughing smileys behind that statement to make the point.
The fault lies with the same person responsible for 9-11, the system.
How in hell do you have this guy's father, who is a well known government official contact our government expressing concern about the guys terrorist ties and he still isn't flagged.
The system needs to be fixed and a mediocre lawyer from Arizona has no business overseeing that and the last two days have proven that. First she said the system worked and the next day she's calling it a miserable failure

deejeff442

funny thing,i flew back to buffalo for xmass.on my way back i was connecting in st.louis.i walked by a smoking room.huh?so being curious i went in and asked someone how can you light a smoke when i didnt think we could bring lighters onto planes?apparently the rules have changed i went to the little store across from the smoking room and they sell smokes and lighters now.
abviously not to hard to get a light for a bomb on a plane now.this was a couple days after the detroit thing.
i agree with the obama thing.what the hell is he saying we wont stop?he isnt doing anything in the first place.in fact my friend in buffalo is in the U.S defence workplace and they are laying off like crazy.if anything this new hope and change is making our military soft.

bionicarm

How he 'flew under the radar' is explained here:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/decla...ts-bomber.aspx
As far as if this could have been avoided, whether is was this dude or your next door neighbor, the chemical he had on him, PETN, isn't readily detectable with the standard security equipment at the airports. It's consisitency is like a powdery sugar, and he had the stuff strapped on his leg. They did say there are devices at the airport that have the capability of detecting this stuff, but each person going through the security area would have to be manually screened and 'wanded'. Here's more details on the substance:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34607732..._news-security
Could this have been avoided? Sure, if every person traveling by plane is willing to wait over two hours to get through security checkpoints, having every item you carry through sifted through with a fine tooth comb (better keep those thongs at home reef.
)
Just as the crazy security checks and requirements of post 9-11 were about to go away, this occurs. Now you probably won't even get to take a tube of toothpaste, contact cleaner, or any other toiletries on a plane. You'll leave them at home, and buy the stuff at the local Wally World (if there is one) when you get to your destination. Not only will you have to take off your shoes, buy you'll probably have to pull your pants leg up to your knees. No more taking two carry-ons onto the plane. Want to fly on a two day business trip? Be prepared to check-in that small carry-on bag that was all you needed for a nice round-trip fee of $25, or leave the laptop hiome.
They are saying flights an hour or less coming out of Canada today required you to stay in your seat the entire time, you couldn't have a blanket, you couldn't use ANY electronic device, and you had to keep your hands in sight at all times. If this is the future of flying on a plane, I'm just sticking to the car and making my trip Griswald Style...

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3197328
How he 'flew under the radar' is explained here:
http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/decla...ts-bomber.aspx
As far as if this could have been avoided, whether is was this dude or your next door neighbor, the chemical he had on him, PETN, isn't readily detectable with the standard security equipment at the airports. It's consisitency is like a powdery sugar, and he had the stuff strapped on his leg. They did say there are devices at the airport that have the capability of detecting this stuff, but each person going through the security area would have to be manually screened and 'wanded'. Here's more details on the substance:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34607732..._news-security
Could this have been avoided? Sure, if every person traveling by plane is willing to wait over two hours to get through security checkpoints, having every item you carry through sifted through with a fine tooth comb (better keep those thongs at home reef.
)
Just as the crazy security checks and requirements of post 9-11 were about to go away, this occurs. Now you probably won't even get to take a tube of toothpaste, contact cleaner, or any other toiletries on a plane. You'll leave them at home, and buy the stuff at the local Wally World (if there is one) when you get to your destination. Not only will you have to take off your shoes, buy you'll probably have to pull your pants leg up to your knees. No more taking two carry-ons onto the plane. Want to fly on a two day business trip? Be prepared to check-in that small carry-on bag that was all you needed for a nice round-trip fee of $25, or leave the laptop hiome.
They are saying flights an hour or less coming out of Canada today required you to stay in your seat the entire time, you couldn't have a blanket, you couldn't use ANY electronic device, and you had to keep your hands in sight at all times. If this is the future of flying on a plane, I'm just sticking to the car and making my trip Griswald Style...
When a person's father who in the case was a banker, I had heard was a government official but in any case an otherwise well know individual tell our embassy staff he fears his son, who happens to be a young male muslim, Profile ring a bell, is in cahoots with a terrorist group and the government doesn't take action something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/3197406
When a person's father who in the case was a banker, I had heard was a government official but in any case an otherwise well know individual tell our embassy staff he fears his son, who happens to be a young male muslim, Profile ring a bell, is in cahoots with a terrorist group and the government doesn't take action something is SERIOUSLY wrong.
I agree with you 100% it is wrong, but did you read through the first link I cited:
In the case of Umar Abdulmutallab, national security officials said, the information from the embassy about his father’s concerns, while considered important enough to enter in TIDE, the raw intelligence database maintained by NCTC, was regarded as insufficient to cause the Terrorist Screening Center to enter Abdulmutallab in its master database, known as the "Consolidated Terrorist Watch List," a national security official said. That list contains the names of around 400,000 individuals against whom U.S. agencies have already collected enough information to constitute "reasonable suspicion" of terrorism. Because Abdulmutallab's name was not entered into the consolidated watch list, the official added, it also was not included on two more limited subsets of the master list—a list of "selectees" who are supposed receive extra screening if they try to travel by air (this list includes about 13,000 names) and the Screening Center's even more limited “no-fly list,” which contains just under 4,000 names.
“You get a lot of info every day,” said one official close to the process. “Some of it is bad. Someone cannot just go into the data base and then go onto a 'no fly list'." For example, the official said, the TIDE data base contains the names of Irish Republican Army partisans who were involved in militant and possible violent activity in the past, but who are not regarded as any kind of threat to transportation today.
Although intelligence officials did not regard the report from Abdulmutallab’s father as sufficiently weighty or detailed to move his name from TIDE onto a database that could have restricted or banned him from air travel, one national security official said that because the father had called attention to his son’s possible involvement in Yemen, one or more U.S. intelligence agencies did begin some kind of effort to further investigate the son’s Yemeni connections. At this point, it is unclear how far such inquiries progressed before the younger Abdulmutallab boarded Delta/KLM flight 253 on Christmas Day, except that no information was reported around U.S. intelligence agencies which reached the “reasonable suspicion” threshhold that could have led to more screening or a “no-fly” order affecting his travel plans.
Once it reached Washington, the embassy cable about Umar Abdulmutallab was also entered into Visa Viper, a State Department database used to track foreigners who apply for U.S. visas, a national security official said. Abdulmutallab had been granted his most recent multi-entry U.S. visa in June 2008, which was not due to expire until June of 2010. The VIPER entry based on Alhaji Mutallab’s warning to the embassy included a notice that if or when Umar applied for an extension or renewal of his existing U.S. visa, then the case should be thoroughly examined in light of the father’s concerns about the son, said the official. But this did not constitute an explicit instruction either that his current visa should be revoked or that any application for a fresh or extended visa should be denied. It is not clear whether the people who operated the TIDE database were aware that Abdulmutallab had a valid U.S. visa at the time the report on him from Abuja reached U.S. intelligence.

bionicarm

On another note, everyone is chatising our security procedures regarding this guy. However, this person boarded this Delta flight in Amsterdam. There are reports coming out from other inidivuals who were on the flight that recall seeing this kid at the ticket counter with an Indian man in his 50's. One stated he overheard this Inidian guy talking to the ticket agent saying the boy was a poor Nigerian that didn't even have a valid passport. This same individual supposedly provided proper documentation for the kid, then paid $2800 for his one-way ticket to the US. So where is the Amsterdam security responsibility come into play in all of this? They're the one's that allowed him on the plane, not US security. Where was Amsterdam's screening process in all of this? Are we saying that the US is responsible for insuring we have some official in every security station in every nation in the world so we can personally screen every individual that wants to enter our country before they enter the US? Officially, this is Amsterdam's fault for letting this kid on the plane, not improper US procedures.

reefraff

http:///forum/post/3197561
I agree with you 100% it is wrong, but did you read through the first link I cited:
In the case of Umar Abdulmutallab, national security officials said, the information from the embassy about his father’s concerns, while considered important enough to enter in TIDE, the raw intelligence database maintained by NCTC, was regarded as insufficient to cause the Terrorist Screening Center to enter Abdulmutallab in its master database, known as the "Consolidated Terrorist Watch List," a national security official said. That list contains the names of around 400,000 individuals against whom U.S. agencies have already collected enough information to constitute "reasonable suspicion" of terrorism. Because Abdulmutallab's name was not entered into the consolidated watch list, the official added, it also was not included on two more limited subsets of the master list—a list of "selectees" who are supposed receive extra screening if they try to travel by air (this list includes about 13,000 names) and the Screening Center's even more limited “no-fly list,” which contains just under 4,000 names.
“You get a lot of info every day,” said one official close to the process. “Some of it is bad. Someone cannot just go into the data base and then go onto a 'no fly list'." For example, the official said, the TIDE data base contains the names of Irish Republican Army partisans who were involved in militant and possible violent activity in the past, but who are not regarded as any kind of threat to transportation today.
Although intelligence officials did not regard the report from Abdulmutallab’s father as sufficiently weighty or detailed to move his name from TIDE onto a database that could have restricted or banned him from air travel, one national security official said that because the father had called attention to his son’s possible involvement in Yemen, one or more U.S. intelligence agencies did begin some kind of effort to further investigate the son’s Yemeni connections. At this point, it is unclear how far such inquiries progressed before the younger Abdulmutallab boarded Delta/KLM flight 253 on Christmas Day, except that no information was reported around U.S. intelligence agencies which reached the “reasonable suspicion” threshhold that could have led to more screening or a “no-fly” order affecting his travel plans.
Once it reached Washington, the embassy cable about Umar Abdulmutallab was also entered into Visa Viper, a State Department database used to track foreigners who apply for U.S. visas, a national security official said. Abdulmutallab had been granted his most recent multi-entry U.S. visa in June 2008, which was not due to expire until June of 2010. The VIPER entry based on Alhaji Mutallab’s warning to the embassy included a notice that if or when Umar applied for an extension or renewal of his existing U.S. visa, then the case should be thoroughly examined in light of the father’s concerns about the son, said the official. But this did not constitute an explicit instruction either that his current visa should be revoked or that any application for a fresh or extended visa should be denied. It is not clear whether the people who operated the TIDE database were aware that Abdulmutallab had a valid U.S. visa at the time the report on him from Abuja reached U.S. intelligence.
I read it and still find it unacceptable. Err on the side of caution. We may not get lucky next time. We have a hard enough time getting main stream Muslims willing to snitch off these guys. When you have what seems like a very credible man warning about his own child I would think that should be a priority.
I heard the same story about the guy who supposedly didn't have a passport. If that turns out to be true suspension of direct flights to or from Amsterdam would be my short term solution. Wonder what that would cost them over say a 30 day penalty period.

stdreb27

It isn't rocket science, imo if someone wanted too they'd get onto a place with explosives. I'm not a professional my any stretch of the imagination, but unless they're frisking everyone, you're going to have people get through, heck in that dude's case, someone would have had to cup his giblets...
I will say this, if this had been Bush, their would have been a week of criticism of Bush being on vacation, or playing golf while the nation was attacked...

oscardeuce

http:///forum/post/3197580
On another note, everyone is chatising our security procedures regarding this guy. However, this person boarded this Delta flight in Amsterdam. There are reports coming out from other inidivuals who were on the flight that recall seeing this kid at the ticket counter with an Indian man in his 50's. One stated he overheard this Inidian guy talking to the ticket agent saying the boy was a poor Nigerian that didn't even have a valid passport. This same individual supposedly provided proper documentation for the kid, then paid $2800 for his one-way ticket to the US. So where is the Amsterdam security responsibility come into play in all of this? They're the one's that allowed him on the plane, not US security. Where was Amsterdam's screening process in all of this? Are we saying that the US is responsible for insuring we have some official in every security station in every nation in the world so we can personally screen every individual that wants to enter our country before they enter the US? Officially, this is Amsterdam's fault for letting this kid on the plane, not improper US procedures.

True, but didn't the world come together on Copenhagen to fix "global (warming) climate change"?
Like you pointed out every red flag there is went up on this guy, yet the system failed. No matter the point of origin the system has to be better than this.

bang guy

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3197624
It isn't rocket science, imo if someone wanted too they'd get onto a place with explosives. I'm not a professional my any stretch of the imagination, but unless they're frisking everyone, you're going to have people get through, heck in that dude's case, someone would have had to cup his giblets...
I will say this, if this had been Bush, their would have been a week of criticism of Bush being on vacation, or playing golf while the nation was attacked...
Careful, your whining is beginning to sound a bit liberal...

bang guy

Originally Posted by oscardeuce
http:///forum/post/3197650
True, but didn't the world come together on Copenhagen to fix "global (warming) climate change"?
Like you pointed out every red flag there is went up on this guy, yet the system failed. No matter the point of origin the system has to be better than this.
It wouldn't do us any harm to be a lot more restrictive about who we let in to this country.

bionicarm

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3197660
It wouldn't do us any harm to be a lot more restrictive about who we let in to this country.
The problem with that is the US would be lambasted for racial profiling. Who do you select to be put on this 'restrictive list' - Muslims, Inidians, Saudis, Pakistanis, Nigerians, Sudanese? Wasn't it some middle class white boy that tried to blow up that Dallas HiRise a couple months ago? The US has procedures in place to determine which foreigners can temporarily enter this country. If anything, they need to scrutinize the VISA process. They hand those out like candy to all these Pakistanis and Indians so they can come over here an take American jobs. If you want to start restricting someone, restrict them.
Again, everyone is criticizing the US processes for missing this guy. This inicident didn't happen within US borders. The guy came here from a foreign country that LET HIM get on that plane. They supposedly were handed a valid passport and VISA, checked the person on it against this mysterious 'No Fly' list, then let him on the plane. It's already been acknowledged that this database in innacurate, and not kept up properly. But why is that the sole responsibility of the US to upkeep? How can the US guarantee that every nation that allows people to leave thier country by air to enter the US, are even utilizing this database to its full potential? How easy is it to get falsified documents these days? Are agents in Romania fully trained to find flaws and innacuracies in a US Passport document, knowing which one is real, and which one is fake? Is every airport in every nation going to spend the thousands of dollars in upgrading security equipment to detect chemicals like this sewn into someone's underwear? You can't put the entire blame of this incident on our Homeland Security procedures. No matter how strict the US gets with checking people within the US borders, they have no control over how strict foreign countries perform their checks. As sad as this is, this WILL happen again. If not a crazed copycat idiot that has a bone to pick with the US, but there's probably another couple hundred kids just like this Nigerian waiting to get on another plane SOMEWHERE on this planet.

t316

http:///forum/post/3197676
Again, everyone is criticizing the US processes for missing this guy. This inicident didn't happen within US borders. The guy came here from a foreign country that LET HIM get on that plane.
Yes it did. This misguided concept is what has to change. Our people are on these planes, American people. So if that plane is coming to our homeland, then our borders have to include the loading station. Not talking about legal ownership of land, but legal jurisdiction to run the screening and boarding of passengers. And if any country denies us this authority, then we don't allow planes to enter the US from those originations. This is not rocket science here. Why on God's green earth would we allow foreigners to be solely responsible for saying who can/cannot board a plane bound for the US and loaded with American people?

bang guy

Originally Posted by T316
http:///forum/post/3197694
Yes it did. This misguided concept is what has to change. Our people are on these planes, American people. So if that plane is coming to our homeland, then our borders have to include the loading station. Not talking about legal ownership of land, but legal jurisdiction to run the screening and boarding of passengers. And if any country denies us this authority, then we don't allow planes to enter the US from those originations. This is not rocket science here. Why on God's green earth would we allow foreigners to be solely responsible for saying who can/cannot board a plane bound for the US and loaded with American people?

TSA must approve the security and proceedures of the foreign airport or the planes do not enter US airspace. They cannot even fly OVER the US if they don't comply. It wasn't an airport security issue in this case in my opinion, it was an information dissemenation issue. If you don't do a full body search of every individual then you cannot prevent someone from carrying bad things onto a plane. What you can do is limit who is allowed to get on a plane to the US, who is allowed to cross the border into the US is the issue from my perspective.
We need to stop being afraid of hurting peoples feelings.