Well I got this monster today

drewsta

Originally Posted by NEreef
are you going to get it running in your garage and then move it into the cafe?
LOL no freakin way even though I hate to see this sit in my garage for 4 months I just filled it half way and then pumped all the water out that I could. I will have to get a bucket to get the rest. wew that was alot of work today. I im in the process of going over some leases so when I get a location then the fun will really begin

N

nereef

i'd eat in your cafe just to stare at the tank! i'm sure it will go well for ya. good luck.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Drewsta
Just because they don't fare well in captivity? Or maybe there was other reasons i.e. to many fish incorrect feeding?? Any info appreciated obviously

No, they just don't do well. I have seen a couple of people try them with no success. I sold them to the people while working for a LFS, so I know the tanks were more than adequate for the fish. Plus, they were in my store for 3 weeks, eating very well. They both lasted 4-6 months. Then, a good friend of mine tried one in his 180 reef. I had no doubt he could keep one. He had this tank running for 3 years. He never had a problem keeping any fish in there. His tank was so healthy he was bringing me acropora, staghorn, and montipora frags on a weekly basis. He tried one and the fish did pretty well for about 8 months. After 8 months, he began to notice it getting skinny. He even increased the fish's feeding to 2-3 per day, and it just continued to get skinnier and skinnier until it eventually passed. That seems like the common trend with these fish unfortunately..

drewsta

Originally Posted by NEreef
i'd eat in your cafe just to stare at the tank! i'm sure it will go well for ya. good luck.
Thank you!!

drewsta

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
No, they just don't do well. I have seen a couple of people try them with no success. I sold them to the people while working for a LFS, so I know the tanks were more than adequate for the fish. Plus, they were in my store for 3 weeks, eating very well. They both lasted 4-6 months. Then, a good friend of mine tried one in his 180 reef. I had no doubt he could keep one. He had this tank running for 3 years. He never had a problem keeping any fish in there. His tank was so healthy he was bringing me acropora, staghorn, and montipora frags on a weekly basis. He tried one and the fish did pretty well for about 8 months. After 8 months, he began to notice it getting skinny. He even increased the fish's feeding to 2-3 per day, and it just continued to get skinnier and skinnier until it eventually passed. That seems like the common trend with these fish unfortunately..
Thats interesting.. Maybe it didn't have enough space? with all the overgrowing sps lol
Thats interesting though I will make sure I read more about them.. Thanks lion your advice is always much appreciated

lion_crazz

No problem at all! I hope to see pictures when you get this tank up and running! I am sure it will be beautiful. Good luck on getting your cafe open as well!!

drewsta

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
No problem at all! I hope to see pictures when you get this tank up and running! I am sure it will be beautiful. Good luck on getting your cafe open as well!!
Thank you! I'm going to need all the luck/money I can get lol

120reefer

I agree totally with what lions said about the clown. A friend of mine with a 210 softy tank also had his up and running for around 2 1/2 to 3 years and never had a problem with keeping fish at all. To be honest, he actually had an achilles in there for about 2 years or so, then got "bored" of him and gave him the boot. Anyways.. he actually tried 2 different clowns in there. First one died in about a month... just never really ate well at all. And the other he had for about 6 months and seemed to be doing very well, and i can remember going over to his house every week for about a month and see him just start to slowly get skinnier and skinnier until he finally died. He too tried to increase his diet substantially but still didnt werk out either. I think there just a tough fish in general to keep in captivity

120reefer

LOL.. hey Drew, I wonder which will cost more, getting the cafe or the tank up and running?
Like everyone else said, good luck with everything and keep us all posted with plenty of pics

cowfishrule

forget the eels and lions.
go with a long horn cowfish, a nice school of lyretail anthias, a school of pj cardinals, a prickly filefish, and a pair of goldstrip maroon clowns. maybe a helfrichi firefish for a final touch.
or <giving evil grin>- that would make a bad

[hr]
discus tank.

drewsta

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
forget the eels and lions.
go with a long horn cowfish, a nice school of lyretail anthias, a school of pj cardinals, a prickly filefish, and a pair of goldstrip maroon clowns. maybe a helfrichi firefish for a final touch.
or <giving evil grin>- that would make a bad

[hr]
discus tank.
LOL I dont think so on the discus
. I would do a cowfish but the toxic death that they can leak is kinda preventing me on doing that :thinking: However I do like the idea of the schooling anthias and the firefish

cowfishrule

i had a cowfish die once in my tank, and nothing resulted from the death.
just, if you notice it died, get it out.
the cowfish would draw lots of attention to the tank, and it will eventually become very personable with you.

R

ramsey

I think a Harlequin Tusk "wrasse" would look nice cause its a colorful fish

feixjai

i think an anemone and a pair of goldband maroons might look good in there. with other fish as well.

natep206

i personaly wouldnt do it for my tank but if this tank is all about drawing customers. u could go with a nemo theme.
id go with a bunch of tangs and butterflys and then some other smaller fish
3 yellow tangs
2 naso tangs ( a pair )
then
2 pyramid butterflys
2 racoons
then for smaller fish maybe
a piar of hawaiian fancy anthias
and if u want it to be mare agressive u could also add in
some black hawaiian triggers
and a sfe
just my thoughts
nate

drewsta

I don't want to keep corals and an anemone would be out of the question with the lights i'm going to have I just want it to be eye pleasing I want to do a zebra most likely and I wont be able to do triggers with my ray

ophiura

Originally Posted by Drewsta
Miniatus/Panther Grouper
What do you think?? :notsure:

M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S

120reefer

Originally Posted by TriGa22
How big of a tank for a naso?
I wouldn't try in a tank less than a 180 or 210 IMO, as they can get to 16-18 inches....

drewsta

Originally Posted by ophiura
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S
M I N I A T U S