What anemone?

Kassidy

I have a 29 gallon established reef tank with medium lighting and water flow, i've been looking into buying an anemone that would (hopefully) eventually host a clownfish. The options at my LFS are bubble, long tentacle, mini carpet, or rockflower, which one of these would be best?

florida joe

let me give you some other options for a reef tank. frog spawn,hammer and torch corals will host a clown

Kassidy

ok thank you, definitely looking into a frogspawn or hammer :). Another question, since i have a smaller tank would it be better to have one clownfish or could i do a pair?

lmforbis

I'd stick with one, a percula or oscelaris would probably be best.
There is no guarantee that the clown will take to an anemone or coral. It can be hit or miss. Sometimes it takes a while.

florida joe

what if any other fish do you have in the tank ? IMO you can go with two clowns in a 29. with fish that size its more about husbandry and filtration then it is about giving them ample room to swim and grow.

Old timers trick and believe it or not it works. Locate a picture of a clown fish being hosted. And tape it to your tank for the clowns to see. Sounds silly but give it a shot when you are ready