what are these???

cubnb79

yea after seeing some of these other setups makes me wanna move some things around but worried about messing with things that are already growing...plus still planning on getting few more rocks

cubnb79

thx i do also even though i'd like a couple more rocks to finish off the right side...just not to much color as of right now so trying to plan on changing that...i did however take a pic of one rock that a turbo has made his home which is going to be a nice before and after pic...big rock prob going to take him couple weeks but what he's done so far is amazing...

S

siptang

For some reason, they look like dead or dying Caulerpa mine turned that color after a while...
#4 looks like a diatom forming on your live rock.

bang guy

Are you referring to the alga? Looks like Caulerpa racemosa and Caulerpa prolifera as a first guess. I think I see a twig of Bryopsis there as well.

cubnb79

yes the flat top things...the bryopsis i have on other rocks not sure if its good to have or not (there's not much of it) but i figure one of my snails will get to it sooner or later...

teresaq

I agree with bang, lol two kinds of caulerpa. they usually grow from a runner. To get rid of bryopsis, usually snails wont touch it. Lettus Nudis are about the only thing that will eat it but then they will starve.
T

cubnb79

not sure i want to get rid of it right now something new to watch..but one of my turbo's are on that rock right now so we'll see what happends

al&burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///t/387085/what-are-these/40#post_3404565
I am not proud of ^this^ post. I hereby use my third of five "do overs"...its a rule, look it up.
Substitute post follows:
Remember that no two tanks are the same, even if they seem very similar. What works for one may not work so well for the next one.
Subtle differences in water chemistry, rock makeup/bacteria population/type, lighting (including ambient) and intangibles can make significant differences in what one should do to respond to conditions. One should use posts as a piece of the puzzle along with other posts here and elsewhere. Stitch that with one's own research to meld one's own regime and techniques based on one's own tight observation of their tank. In time, one will formulate their own method of care based on a wide array of input. Everybody started somewhere.
In my (not so) humble opinion, it is incumbent on us who have made the transition from beginning towards established to:
-use precise comments to convey broad concepts, and
-avoid broad
comments to convey precise
"magic bullets" to success
There, I *think* I fixed it. Sorry for the confusion.
Slice - I thought you trying to be funny I laughed at first, then it got serious.