what are these???

cubnb79

mine was always covered intill my nitrate issue and thought opening it up might help a little for the gas exchange so i kinda just left it that way b/c of that and the light restriction was much less and made tank much brighter at the same time

travelerjp98

I guess... my nitrates aren't good either... as you know lol... I'm gonna try to do a water change tomm. if i have time.

1guydude

niether of my tanks have covers nor eggcrate or nothing! Better gas exchange and better par as already stated!

cubnb79

i dont know if you mean to come off like you're better than everybody or not washington but not all of us have the same circumstances for our tank set up so before you go and sound like you are better than anyone which is the way you're sounding in my option is not needed...we are just here to trade notes and to see what works for us in our situation...my tank is in limited room and cat has been caught on top of overhead light so yea i want my tank somewhat covered...my bad...on that note im not attacking you b/c im sure you have way more knowledge than i do in this field but damn you sound like you think you know it all "as already stated!"...i guess i just dont understand why reguardless on how much experience anyone has that you just cant tell your story and experience so others can compare to other situation which im my mind right or wrong has more infomation to compare...what works for someone may not work for someone else...

prh123

I do that also, no cover, maybe glass cover when its cold in the winter so the heater does run constantly. The tanks need evaporation to cool in the summer, never going to buy a chiller. I read a good article on it. Suspended lights, alternating pumps, tank is a few degrees above room temperature now. I had to read about it allot, T8 lights were not the major factor in my case, the 402 power heads pushed the temperature over 86 degrees. I was not happy, so I thought my way through it, put the spray bars on a Natural Wave maker. By accident I designed surges and turbulence, lowered temperature, and got Coralline Algae to grow very rapidly. Never a bad idea to do the research again, things change.

cubnb79

i agree that there needs to be exchange...my sump is out in the open not under/inside tank stand so i get exchange from there plus my half covered tank...im just leaning as i always will be...

1guydude

sry didnt know u wanted to hear my life story! Why r u so offended from wat i posted? I started out with a flourescent light and plastic hood, than a glass hood with no plastic piece on the back, finally some eggcrate with a cutout in the middle for the light! Now i dont have any cover....as already stated!
Why u even mentioning washington in ur post? U have something against west coast people or do u just have something against people?
GOODBYE

cubnb79

lol i was thinking washington dc, we all know how well they do (nothing personal)...i dont remember you saying your trial and error and if you did my bad....it just sounded like you was putting down on us who are just starting out that's all...i joined here to learn not to get critized which has happend since i joined....i have nothing against you but others like me who are just getting into it dont want to feel like "hello you should know this"...that's all...im not here to fight im here to learn learn learn and for anyone else that's just starting out to get good information...

michaeltx

The one thing you have to remember that in the online forum you can not tell what the other person is thinking and things that would be normal conversation can come across as snody and stuck up. This does not mean that is the way it is meant though. so please everyone keep this in mind as you read and post on the forum one or 2 words and it can come across completely different than the poster really wanted it to.
Thanks
MTX

prh123

I had a seventh grade science teacher that had a PHD in psycology, sat us in a circle to debate different subjects, in a few minutes people tried to verbally kill each other, he said you have to learn to start your sentences with “in my opinion”. So many went on to state “in my opinion” you are one of the dumbest people on the planet. It was funny at the time; people don’t feel comfortable with people with that are different, or I could be wrong.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/387085/what-are-these#post_3403678
I would much prefer threads such as these refer questions to established and thoroughly researched guidelines instead of personal anecdotes that may be very far afield.
I am not proud of ^this^ post. I hereby use my third of five "do overs"...its a rule, look it up.
Substitute post follows:
Remember that no two tanks are the same, even if they seem very similar. What works for one may not work so well for the next one.
Subtle differences in water chemistry, rock makeup/bacteria population/type, lighting (including ambient) and intangibles can make significant differences in what one should do to respond to conditions. One should use posts as a piece of the puzzle along with other posts here and elsewhere. Stitch that with one's own research to meld one's own regime and techniques based on one's own tight observation of their tank. In time, one will formulate their own method of care based on a wide array of input. Everybody started somewhere.
In my (not so) humble opinion, it is incumbent on us who have made the transition from beginning towards established to:
-use precise comments to convey broad concepts, and
-avoid broad
comments to convey precise
"magic bullets" to success
There, I *think* I fixed it. Sorry for the confusion.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/387085/what-are-these/40#post_3404565
I am not proud of ^this^ post. I hereby use my third of five "do overs"...its a rule, look it up.
Substitute post follows:
Remember that no two tanks are the same, even if they seem very similar. What works for one may not work so well for the next one.
Subtle differences in water chemistry, rock makeup/bacteria population/type, lighting (including ambient) and intangibles can make significant differences in what one should do to respond to conditions. One should use posts as a piece of the puzzle along with other posts here and elsewhere. Stitch that with one's own research to meld one's own regime and techniques based on one's own tight observation of their tank. In time, one will formulate their own method of care based on a wide array of input. Everybody started somewhere.
In my (not so) humble opinion, it is incumbent on us who have made the transition from beginning towards established to:
-avoid broad
you shouldn't be proud of the post...
and I'm glad you tried to say sorry...

cubnb79

lol ^....here's a question that i should know the answer to but been reading and im confused a little...when doing wc are you not supposed to get into the ls to clean it and just suck out the water only???? also note i dont have any cuc

meowzer

NOPE...do not disturb the sand....the first additions to a tank after the initial cycle should be CUC....

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice http:///forum/thread/387085/what-are-these/40#post_3404565
Substitute post follows:
-avoid broad
This is some great info. When I am trying to convey a thought from personal experience, I try to say that (but most of the time it does not come out that way). There are too many variables that we each have in our tank husbandry that will have a direct impact on our tanks. This will impact how one person's advice may not work on another's tank.
I hope that sounds OK. If not, I'll just go back to drinking my margaritas and work on it later.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/387085/what-are-these/40#post_3404902
This is some great info. When I am trying to convey a thought from personal experience, I try to say that (but most of the time it does not come out that way). There are too many variables that we each have in our tank husbandry that will have a direct impact on our tanks. This will impact how one person's advice may not work on another's tank.
I hope that sounds OK. If not, I'll just go back to drinking my margaritas and work on it later.
LOL...you lush you

sometimes the smilies help to convey your message, BUT we need more