What improvements should I make?

anolan2

Here are the specs and details of my tank. Im finally near satisfied with my tank but would like some suggestions on how I can improve my FOWL tank or advice if i totally missed something important.
65 Gallon FOWL Tank
60 lbs of live rock
Live Sand substrate
Temp is 76 degrees at Night and 78 degrees during the day
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrates 0
PH 8.0
Filtration:
Rena XP3 Canister Filter running w/ filter pad, bio chem zorb, and ceramics
Penguin 350 Biowheel Power Filter running w/ filter pad and ceramics
Coralife Super Skimmer
Circulation:
Aqueon 950
Aqueon 550
Lighting:
2 Marineland LED lights with Blue light
Fish:
Niger Trigger
Huma Huma Trigger
Turkey Fish
Naso Tang
Mystery Wrasse
(all of my fish are small about 2 inches all look healthy)
Inverts:
Sponge Crab
6 Turbo Snails
Please leave any advice on what I can do to improve my tank. It is a farily new tank. Am I missing anything important? THANKS for any suggestions!

travelerjp98

Yes, there is a big thing wrong with your tank; it is wayyyy overstocked. You may not see the results now, but some of the fish you have will get to be really way to big for your tank. The niger trigger needs a 125g minimum, and the naso tang needs a 200g min.
Sorry if I sound harsh...
A pic of your tank would also be nice!

anolan2

OK well when these fish get bigger I wil have to adjust, either by getting a bigger tank or by exchanging the fish when they are too big for the tank. I will try to put up some pics

travelerjp98

As long as you know that they will eventually get to be that big, and have a plan with what to do with them, there's nothing wrong with that IMO.

anolan2

Does anyone know about how fast these fish will grow (Niger Trigger, Huma Huma Trigger, Naso Tang, Mystery Wrasse) I feed them one a day rotating frozen krill, squid, and spirulina formula, and freeze dried mysis shrimp, with an occasional nori flake.
Also, aside from the issue that this fish will eventually outgrow the tank, do I have any immediate problems?
Do I have enough filtration and aeration?
Should I be testing Calcium, Phosphate, KH or anything else?
THANK for all the advice!

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolan2 http:///t/389384/what-improvements-should-i-make#post_3441313
Does anyone know about how fast these fish will grow (Niger Trigger, Huma Huma Trigger, Naso Tang, Mystery Wrasse) I feed them one a day rotating frozen krill, squid, and spirulina formula, and freeze dried mysis shrimp, with an occasional nori flake. Naso tangs grow very fast. Triggers do as well. My mystery wrasse grew extremely fast, but I think it was due to him being in a very large tank.
You need to feed algae sheets and an herbivore blend daily for your naso. Yes, the tang will eat meaty foods, but for proper nutrition, they must be offered an herbivore blend.
Also, aside from the issue that this fish will eventually outgrow the tank, do I have any immediate problems? It can cause stress and aggression.

Do I have enough filtration and aeration? In an overstocked tank, the simple answer is NO.

Should I be testing Calcium, Phosphate, KH or anything else? yes. Calcium and Alkalinity (KH) effect pH, so you want to know all three numbers, not just your pH. You should also be testing for nitrate (and I'd recommend nitrite and ammonia in an over stocked tank) and pH.

THANK for all the advice!

anolan2

OK Thanks,
I have been testing PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I just purchased a phosphate, calcium, and KH kit as well.
As far as the triggers, tang and wrasse... how long will I be able to have them in the tank before I will need to find them a bigger tank? 6 months? few years?
I put nori sheets in the tank for the tang but he picks at it once or twce and then the sheet just sits there gets all gross, so I take it out. I have been feeding him Sallys SF Bay Frozen food (marine cuisine) and frozen spirulina formula.
Do you reccomend i increase the filration? or are you saying that because it is overstocked?
THANKS

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by anolan2 http:///t/389384/what-improvements-should-i-make#post_3441736
OK Thanks,
I have been testing PH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. I just purchased a phosphate, calcium, and KH kit as well.
As far as the triggers, tang and wrasse... how long will I be able to have them in the tank before I will need to find them a bigger tank? 6 months? few years?
I put nori sheets in the tank for the tang but he picks at it once or twce and then the sheet just sits there gets all gross, so I take it out. I have been feeding him Sallys SF Bay Frozen food (marine cuisine) and frozen spirulina formula.
Do you reccomend i increase the filration? or are you saying that because it is overstocked?
THANKS
Every fish is different, but I'd say the sooner you find them homes, the better. All these fish can double in size in less than a year.
Are you using just basic green Nori sheets? Try using Ocean Nutrition algae sheets brown, red and purple. My tang will not touch plain nori. In the beginning, they also weren't to keen on eating off a sheet. If you hold the sheet in the water and break it apart, they'll learn to accept it more regularly. It will also leave some on rocks for them to graze off of throughout the day.
Instead of Marine Cuisine, which is also a meaty food, try SF Bay Brand Emerald Entree. Excellent frozen food for tangs.
Because you're overstocked

S

smallreef

I started with a 35g tank and 4 triggers and yellow tang, 6 months later went to a 150g... if that tells you anything and my triggers were not even 2 inches long when i got them.(Of course I added a few more fish when i upgraded, lol).
What i would suggest is... yes a larger tank,, but that can wait (not to long though) you need more water volume for the filtration because triggers are very messy.. so if you could add a sump with a fairly high GPH turnover would help tremendously.. you will have a serious nitrate problem soon and that HOB and canister filters aren't going to do much for you. You will also need to be doing a higher % water change than a normal 65g.. something like 10% a week...

anolan2

Im going to try to post some pics
file://localhost/Users/lindseyromo/Desktop/tank%20pics/IMG00615-20111216-2040.jpg

anolan2

Thanks!!!
I have 30 more lbs of LR curing in a rubbermaid. I plan to add it next week. Im dissappointed I will have to find a new home for my triggers and naso when they get too big... But I know its the right thing to do, and Im prepared to do it.
How long do you think i will be able to keep them?