what is the most aggressive

carshark

i think a giant mantis shrimp, if you are looking for broken bones!!!!!! or a smaller tank shattered

risc

Female Spotted Wobbegong - ate all triggers, groupers, trevallys, wrasse, eels, and other sharks in her tank. Triggers don't stand a chance against them especially when they can eat fish twice the length of their body with ease.

F

fungus

A fish that someone could manage in a tank (125-300GL) I would guess the Titan from what I've read about them. The Wobbegong you would need a massive tank. They get 10' +.

1managain

Dude!! You seem to be one crazy individual! Get a stonefish!!!! Do whatever you can to get one into your tank. Then, put your camera on automatic mode and start putting your arm into the tank. I really want to see what happens... Keep us posted.

carshark

Originally Posted by 1ManAgain
Dude!! You seem to be one crazy individual! Get a stonefish!!!! Do whatever you can to get one into your tank. Then, put your camera on automatic mode and start putting your arm into the tank. I really want to see what happens... Keep us posted.

thats just mean.. dude i think he wants to maintain his arms, i hope

sw65galma

Originally Posted by carshark
thats just mean.. dude i think he wants to maintain his arms, i hope

Umm, more like death within minutes....forget about your arms...

My vote is for a full size Mantis..They have no known preditors.

F

fungus

sw65 I thought some large wrasses have been know to munch on the mantis?

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Fungus
sw65 I thought some large wrasses have been know to munch on the mantis?
Maybe the smaller mantis...But a fully grown one will beat an octopus make it Ink, then grab it..

A hit from a large mantis is the equivilent to a .22 shot....Very few things in the ocean are gonna mess with that. Even sharks wont bother them.

carshark

i think a giant mantis shrimp, if you are looking for broken bones!!!!!! or a smaller tank shattered

sw65gama, i already said that!!! he he he i agree!!

sw65galma

sw65gama, i already said that!!! he he he i agree!!

lol I know I was voting on your Idea!

carshark

that titan is huge!!!!!!!!!! and a mean

[hr]
!! i still think pound for pound the mantis gets it!! :jumping:

fishnerd

that titan is huge!!!!!!!!!! and a mean

[hr]
!! i still think pound for pound the mantis gets it!! :jumping:

Pound for pound, I believe Mantis Shrimp (Squilladae) are the "toughest" animals on Earth.
An adult Titan Trigger (B. viridecens) would/will easily eat any Mantis for dinner. I am unaware of any species which would seek a Titan as prey in their NATURAL habitat- and yes, I am including sharks, etc.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by fishnerd
An adult Titan Trigger (B. viridecens) would/will easily eat any Mantis for dinner. I am unaware of any species which would seek a Titan as prey in their NATURAL habitat- and yes, I am including sharks, etc.

Could eat a mantis...would is prolly another story...Why bother with something that is going give you a nice welt when you can attack a regualr crab, lobster or other less defensive invert?
Triggers on a normal basis don't go and hunt mantis...nothing does...

sw65galma

from the stomatopod site: http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/intro/what.htm
"The larger stomatopods, in particular, are capable of tackling much larger animals in defence of themselves or during prey capture. According to Dr. Roy Caldwell, who has studied mantis shrimps for most of his professional life, a wholesaler once offered him two Odontodactylus scyllarus specimens, which had killed 6 clown trigger fishes (which are notorious for preying on crustaceans) in a single night. He has also seen a fully grown 15 cm peacock mantis kill a larger 20 cm Clown Trigger. Finally, a Hemisquilla ensigera smasher beat the heck out of a much larger octopus that had strayed too close to its burrow, using its raptorial appendages to repeatedly smash at the cephalopod's soft exterior."
6 clown triggers dead in one night...

fishnerd

Triggers (Balistidae) are opportunistic feeders. They will eat what is most readily available. Many species prefer crustacea, but most species will feed upon what is present.
I used to be a commercial collector of "ornamental" marine invertebrates in the Lower Keys (FL). I would be followed by Queen Triggers (B. vetula) on a regular basis. These critters are quite intelligent, and recognized me/us, and our equipment, as "the humans who lift up the rocks" (collecting Mithrax/Emerald Crabs, Brittle & Serpant Stars, etc). It was obvious that the triggers (along with snappers, grunts and hogs) prefered Mithrax sp., but would readily feed on Percnon sp. (Sally Lightfoot/Nimble) crabs, Gonodactlus sp. (MANTIS) shrimp, and Alpheus sp.(Pistol/Snapping) shrimp. I found it odd that Brachyura sp. (Arrow, Decorator, etc.) crabs were largely ignored. Echinoderms (seastars, urchins and cucumbers) were NOT targets, contrary to scientific and hobbiest findings.
I want to clarify that I was not dealing with the 6-8" Indopacific Mantis Shrimp, but I have personally seen one species of trigger- Queen/Baliostoides vetula- feed upon mantis shrimp multiple times in the wild.
PS- FOR EVERYONE ON SWF.COM... It is rare for me to INTENTIONALLY start a flame war. When I am adament on my point of view I often come off as a troublemaker. Reefer123, I am not attacking you, I simply want to clarify WHY I disagree with you. Please don't take it as a personal attack.