What is this red algae????

meowzer

OK...I have looked in my algae book, and the algae I.D. thread......the closest thing I find is Red Dictyota....I'm not 100% sure though.
It is growing in my 29G, this piece is on the front of a rock, and I have noticed a few clusters on the back of the rock.....I am hoping someone can confirm the I.D. for me

S

saxman

I'm inclined to agree, Lois. It's hard to ID some macros when you just have a little sprout to go on.
Does John Maloney hang out here? He'd likely know...

meowzer

IDK who John Maloney is...LOL....BUT...the book leaves it up in the air whether this is good or not

spanko

Here is a picture of some from reefcleaners of the Dictyota.. Yours looks more like Halymenia sp. to me Lois. H
Greg I am pretty sure John hangs out on the nano forum but not here.

meowzer

Yeah Henry...I looked at the algae thread first, but I'm just not 100%
There are a group of clusters on the backside of that same rock....LOL....of course I can not get near it with a camera
SOOOOO...good.....bad...?????

spanko

Depends on which it is for sure. It is always hard to get a positive ID on red algae without a microscopic view.
If Halymenia not bad just keep it trimmed.
If Dictyota bad juju. Spreads like wildfire and is almost impossible to get rid of.
What fish are currently in the 29?

meowzer

The citron goby, 1 perc clown, zebra eel, my sick chalk basslet, scooter blenny, 1 sally lightfoot

spanko

Nothin gonna eat it out of that list. I think Halymenia is actually quite pretty myself. Do you have any algae eating machines in any of the tanks, say like a tang? A good test to see if is Dictoya would be to try and feed some to something you know eats algae. Most things will not touch it.

spanko

Well if it is that then you are already seeing it spreading. Time for some harvesting.
Wait....stop............this is one of those that spread with just a little pc. floating off.
Time for some research on how to rid yourself of it.

meowzer

LOL....I looked up more pics of halymenia, and it looks like that too

I have a sailfin, yellow, blue hippo tang and foxface in the 225G....should I pick off a piece and toss it in the 225G to see what happens.....
OH...I also meant zebra goby....LOL...not zebra eel

spanko

Not until we know for sure what it is. You don't want to introduce it into the other tank is it is Dictyota.

meowzer

I e-mailed John Maloney
This was his response Having a hard timemaking it out, but it seems to be a globular red algae with a discernible holdfast. If that is the case, it won't be a pest, likely to look really cool, just not sure on the id at such a young stage..
And I just sent him these pictures....the first one is of the growth on the back of the rock...I also touched it and it feels soft

monsinour

Does it look like this?

Maybe it will grow into something that looks like this

Not sure if that is helpfull or not. Anyone want to ID what those pieces are? Yes, they are both in my tank.

meowzer

LOL...I can not wait till I get my new camera......The coloring is a little different, BUT...It looks like sooooo many things..haha
I hope it does turn in to something good...for a change it would be nice to get a good thing, and not a bad