what kalkwasser company do you use

nm reef

Balls pickling lime...2 level table spoons per 2.5 gal container of RO water...and dripped constant at a very slow rate.:thinking:

is balls pickling lime better to use than kalkwasser and do you have to drip it can you just mix it and pour it in the sump maybe alittle at a time. i'm having trouble getting it up to 450. when my tank had all the brown algae aand the red slime it was up to 450 now that thats all gone and it looks good it goes like 350 then 300 then 370 then 400 its never the same. if i have to drip how would i do that?
Kathy

bang guy

Bigmac - Where do you get your Mississippi Lime from? Does the Calcium oxide produce a lot of heat when mixing or does it just get warm?
Kip - I think Mrs. Wages is Calcium hydroxide.

K

kistheeze

you can source mississippi lime by going to their website and looking up dealers locally. I looked into this, got the spec sheets but never followed through. they have several different grades ranging from the agricultural stuff at 8 cents a pound or so all the way up to ultra pure lab grade stuff at I think, about $1.50 a pound if I remember correctly. I'm sure the prices vary greatly depending on location.
Bottom line is I have about 10 lbs of mrs. wages left - but when I'm done with that I'll be buying the lab grade (since mrs. wages runs about $2 a pound)

nm reef

Over the past few years I've heard a few mentions of Mississippi Lime Calcium oxide being used for kalk...if a source can be located for the lab grade product is it worth the time and effort to use it vs either Balls or Mrs. Wages? Also...can it be used in the same manner. With the number of feed stores and such around here I'm fairly confident I could manage to get Mississippi Lime locally...:thinking:

nm reef

The addition of a kalk reactor and calcium reactor are in my long range plans...but for now would a change to lab grade kalk be worth the time and effort? I currently use balls which is fairly cheap...would lab grade from Mississippi lime be worth the time and effort?:thinking:

nm reef

Yup...I also have the drip tube inserted about 2" above the bottom of the container and there is a bit a residue left that I wash out each time...works great.
Not certain on the DIY or purchase of a reactor yet...that project may be a year or so off...but I have seen some excellant resources for DIY of either kalk reactors and/or calcium reactors.
Keep records of your project...I may need additional info when I'm ready to start that project...:yes: