What size tank for a Blue Hippo

greatfullreefer

Originally posted by sweetreef
the hippo tang will just do fine in smaller tanks if they have enuff rock work to hide in!!!!!!I have had one for three years in a 45 gallon tank if there enuff live rock they are happy..

1:- A hippo will not do fine in smaller tanks.
2:- A hippo is an open water swimmer so amount of rock means nothing.
3:- A 3 year old hippo is still a baby the lifespan of a healty hippo is 50 or more years.
4:- Just because it is alive does not mean it is happy.

ophiura

IMO, I would have moved that particular blue tang into a larger tank after a few years. 45g is OK, IMO, for some of these itty bitty blue tangs but after a few years I would hope that they have grown enough to go into a larger tank. I have a 45 and it is a 3 ft tank. I wouldn't hesitate to put a 1-2" tang in there but then I know I have access to systems (where they would not be resold) from 3000 to 40,000g (just at my local LFS). That is the only reason I would consider it unless I had a bigger tank coming. I think the point is that these fish are OK in certain size tanks at certain stages of their life (no need to say no tang ins a 55 ever) but effort should be made to plan for getting them into a larger system over time. I would not suggest an adult blue tang in a 45g tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is no doubt that bigger is better where tangs are concerned, so please no one take this conversation to mean that size does not matter where this fish species is concerned. However, the "tang police" concept is getting old, especially when the "T-police" activity has turned into persecution rather than educating. I think the phrase should be retired from the hobby, because it and the ensuing lecturing and put-downs, won't necessarily result in getting hobbyists to comply.
Educating newer hobbyists is the answer to helping them, and their marine animals. That is the responsibility of anyone who gives advise in this hobby.

ophiura

I agree. In the beginning the term was fairly light hearted. Now people are getting obnoxious and not in any way helpful. It does nothing to just say to someone asking about tangs "no tangs in a 55g." First, they are asking so information is requested. Second, for people who already have them, it is more important to encourage proper care then to pronounce that they are almost evil for keeping the fish.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Its a bandwagon syndrome. Folks love to jump on for the ride to be in the "in" no matter if its wrong.

sweetreef

as we all know the blue tang is not for the new hobbyist as it my cufuse them as the fish sometimes has the acked to play dead and wedge it self in rocks!!!!Then the new hobbyist thinks he or she has a sick fish and takes him out when there is really nothing wrong..So i sugest not for the new hobbyist

greatfullreefer

[ I think the point is that these fish are OK in certain size tanks at certain stages of their life (no need to say no tang ins a 55 ever) but effort should be made to plan for getting them into a larger system over time. I would not suggest an adult blue tang in a 45g tank. [/B]

Applaud :)

nm reef

geee....it seems I'm not the only hobbyist that does not claim to be a member of the "tang police".
It should be noted that even though I keep a hippo in a 100 display and I have had the same fish in a 55 previously...I do not in any way want to give the impression that this is a wise course to follow. I put a lot of thought and planning into my action...and to date all has been well. But this may not be a choice for all hobbyists to follow. It can be done...it can work for an extended time...but it is a choice that needs to be carefully considered and researched.

scoobydoo

I had a hippo in a 29g for 2 months and it developed HLLE. After being in my 125g for almost a week and a half, its 100% better. I don't know what's too small but certainly a 29g is.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by scoobydoo
I don't know what's too small but certainly a 29g is.

I think all could easily agree to that.

W

wbradenpt

I have a little 1 to 1 1/2" blue hippo in my 29 gallon quarantine tank. Is it going to make it the 2 weeks?

floorguy

so now i have to explain to my WIFE that i will need a larger tank as my tangs mature YEA THIS IS GONNA GO OVER REALLY WELL. LOL

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by wbradenpt
I have a little 1 to 1 1/2" blue hippo in my 29 gallon quarantine tank. Is it going to make it the 2 weeks?

Perfectly fine for that short stretch of time.

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by floorguy
so now i have to explain to my WIFE that i will need a larger tank as my tangs mature YEA THIS IS GONNA GO OVER REALLY WELL. LOL

I can see you have the hallmarks of a true marine aquarist:
1. Always thinking up reasons to get something bigger and better.
2. Always thinking ahead on how to get the significant other in your life to "understand".
Welcome to the hobby.

sw65galma

Originally posted by floorguy

How do you thin I got my 300?....
We HAVE to have all the fish in Finding Nemo...and one is a Morish Idol...and Well they need atleast 300gal! So.....

finn-a-gin

What is the size of an adult hippo tang?
I have read that some types of surgeons approach 2 feet in length, is the hippo one of them?
50 years? :eek: wouldn;t have EVER thought.
Thanks,
Finns

bang guy

Originally posted by finn-a-gin
What is the size of an adult hippo tang?
I have read that some types of surgeons approach 2 feet in length, is the hippo one of them?

Not really. About half that typically (12").
I have a different take on the answer.
Can a Hippo live a long life in a 4' tank? Yes it can but the odds are not in your favor. I don't believe 4 years should be considered a long time for a fish that lives 50.
I kept a Powder Blue in a 55 for 8 years. That was one of the mistakes I chalk up to experience. I really believe that that Tang would still be alive if I had placed in in an appropriately sized aquarium (8+ feet IMO).
Your odds of successfully keeping a Hippo long term increases dramatically with a longer tank. I believe the odds are in your favor with a 6 foot tank or longer.
I've seen a few middle aged Hippo Tangs (15+ years) but I've never seen one in a tank smaller that 6 feet.
On the other hand, I've seen 20 year old Clownfish in a 20 gallon tank so I add that information to my "reasonableness" table. This is all opinion of course....