What size tank for a Blue Hippo

finn-a-gin

Thanks for the info. Each and everyday there is something new to learn and hopefully apply.
Beautiful looking fish. I can always go to a bigger tank. :D
Finns

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is longevity the measure of happiness, though? Likely these animals are not all that happy with being captive in most any type of tank, especially tangs. The results are the susceptibility they seem to have to diseases, especially HLLE. So, what is the answer? Put tangs on the highly difficult to keep list, advanced aquarists only? I am inclined to say, yes, lets do that.

ophiura

I would put them on that list, but no one would listen. :) But I am pleased to say I once worked at an LFS that would put "tang bans" on people. Unfortunately, they had to lose a tang or two in a short term, but they would not be able to by a tang from our store for months afterward. I suspect people just went elsewhere, but there was satisfaction in it just the same.

thedraven

Im trying to understand the whole point of this conversation.. but it all seems a bit funny to me. Were taking fish from the free and wide open oceans and keeping them in tiny tanks with decreased lifespans, yet were bickering about keeping tangs in a 55 gal vs 125 gal. How ironic. Count me among the hypocrites.
I turned in my tang police badge a long time ago. Right or wrong, people will do as they wish.
:rolleyes:

bang guy

Yes, people will do as they wish, it's their tank and their right IMO.
But the point of the conversation was to answer the posters question which was asking for opinions about what size tank for a Hippo Tang.
The whole purpose of this website is to share these opinions.
As far as 55 vs 125 just do a search on Tang in the disease forum and you'll notice right away that 95% of the "My Tang is sick" comes from people with tanks shorter than 6 feet.

ophiura

Originally posted by thedraven
Im trying to understand the whole point of this conversation.. but it all seems a bit funny to me. Were taking fish from the free and wide open oceans and keeping them in tiny tanks with decreased lifespans, yet were bickering about keeping tangs in a 55 gal vs 125 gal. How ironic. Count me among the hypocrites.

True, it is all relative. It happens with many animals kept in captivity. You could keep a horse, a wild adopted mustang, for example, in a stall all the time. But it will eventually have problems. There is an understanding that there is a minimum amount of space needed for that horse for it to do at least relatively well. If left in a barn, the owner will be charged with cruelty. Ditto with leaving a large dog in a small crate all the time, etc. So there is a similar thing going on here. Many people in this hobby won't care at all, so long as the have the $$ to get another. But some do listen and don't try to put a large tang in a small tank. A 75, IMO, is far better than putting one in a 29 or 45, for example. I am sure you have a "limit" to how small you will go in terms of tank size and a tang? So there is no harm in sharing the opinions.

sw65galma

Originally posted by thedraven
I turned in my tang police badge a long time ago. Right or wrong, people will do as they wish.
:rolleyes:

True we are taking them from the ocean...But certain species move around alot and some dont.
Like some clown for example...They never stray to far from thier home...Therefore they can deal easy with a small tank...Because even in the wild they don't go far.
Tangs on the other hand like to swin long distances in the wild..hence why we say they need a lot of room...
Like the difference between keeping a poodle on a short leash opposed to a Grey hound...Grey hounds like to run...

thedraven

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Yes, people will do as they wish, it's their tank and their right IMO.
But the point of the conversation was to answer the posters question which was asking for opinions about what size tank for a Hippo Tang.
The whole purpose of this website is to share these opinions.
As far as 55 vs 125 just do a search on Tang in the disease forum and you'll notice right away that 95% of the "My Tang is sick" comes from people with tanks shorter than 6 feet.

While I understand the purpose of the site and Im glad this person made an effort to ask unique opinions, how much of a right do people have over another being's life? If you ask yourself that question, it really doesnt matter what size tank you have. Im just pointing out the irony in the whole situation. Am I a hypocrite? Sure. I keep fish in a tank too. I goto stores, buy em up and encourage more to be plucked from the reef. I wonder if someday aliens will land, kidnap us and stick us all in big human tanks. Imagine the aliens standing around discussing what size tank you should keep a human in. Lighten up guys.

rubberduck

is it ok to keep my blue tang in a 29 gallon for a little untill i get a job
the tang is 1/2 an inch
3 fish in the aquarium

swfish78

What about a convict tang in a 72g bow i know it is only a 4' tank but the fish is 3" long at this time i have read a 70g minimun on this fish

shawna

floor guy she might forgive u if a previousy loved tank u bought came with diamond earrings, and the reservations to zanzabar blues? (just a wife I know these things)
juust kidding I do know of a good used tank store down your way I almost came home with a 200. then I remembered that i hadn't mastered the 90's health yet! if u r interested E mail me - Shawna@voicenet.com they are new but great prices and quality livestuck also (not that I'd ever shop anywhere but here ):)