What size tank for a Blue Hippo

nm reef

Hmmmm....most folks will insist a tang of any kind can not be kept in a tank less than 6' in length...and approximately 125 gal.
Lots of hobbyists refer to those folks as "the tang police"...I don't consider myself a member of that group.
Keeping any tang does require a knowledge of their specific needs and future size potential...plus they need a mature and stable system that can provide adaquate diet needs. In most situations it may be best not to attempt a tang in small and relatively new systems....but....
I have had a hippo for over two years now. It was first added to a mature and well established 55 gal reef. It now lives in a 100 gal display that is 5' in length and appears to be healthy and stress free(it is currently 5"-6"). In all honesty I expect to have this fish in this display for several more years with no serious problems. In addition I keep a kole and a foxface rabbitfish...but this arrangement may not be suited for all 100 gal displays.I will also confess that I currently keep a vlamingi in a 100 bow front for a client of mine. However...each of the tangs I currently care for can and will be easily relocated to larger displays if the need does arise and this was taken into account before I purchased either of the tangs. I believe the proper answer depends on the experience level of the hobbyist...the maturity of the system...the overall filtration...and numerous other factors. But...I firmly believe that a blanket statement that they should not be kept in anything under 125 gallons is false and misleading.It can be done...may not be the best choice...but it is possible.Even more critical than the size of the environment is knowledge of their needs...future growth potential...and in general specific information about the tang in question. If they are properly cared for and provided a stable stress free environment they can successfully be kept for a relatively long time in a smaller display...but consideration does need to be given to relocation if they out grow the system. I do concede it may not be the best choice...but I firmly stand by my opinion that it is false that it can not and/or should not be done. I recently saw a 4+ year old purple...that has spent the past 4+ years in a 58 gal Oceanic display....but I agree that in many situations this may not be a good choice.:happyfish

floorguy

wow great post now i dont feel bad for my one and a half inch hippo thats in a 75 gallon with a 3 inch yellow. good input.

C

crm13

I think I hear the sirens!!! Good take on the subject, Reef.

jnvette

i have a hippo and a yellow in a 75.the yellow is about 7" fat and happy as can be.the hippo is only about 2.5".i do plan on upgrading to 120 or 180 gal in the next year or so.

sw65galma

Originally posted by lionfish12
A 125 gallon is the min. and the tank MUST be aleast 6' long if hes larger than 5''.

Umm it was only said like 18 times...but thanks for restating it..

nm reef

So...lionfish12...with your vast reserve of knowledge and experience...what will happen to my 5"-6" 2+ year old hippo that is currently residing in my 5' long display? Based on your experience how much longer do you expect this fish in this situation to thrive? What major problems can I expect? Why is it that this fish did well in a 55 gal display and continues to do well in my current 100 gal display?If you would please provide expected adult size and provide a guess about how long before this fish will be too large for my current display. Explain to me and others that keep this species in less than 125 gal system exactly why it should not be done.:happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member

Originally posted by lionfish12
A 125 gallon is the min. and the tank MUST be aleast 6' long if hes larger than 5''.

You just can't resist. :nope:

jimmy g

Look at it from the fishes point of view...Its taken from the ocean...Has unlimited space and is put into a tiny tank.....Do you really think its going to notice the difference between a 6' tank and a 5' tank?...I dont think so.
Jim

C

capschamp

nm well stated. you just can't argue with results.
beautiful fish by the way:D

ophiura

Originally posted by Beth
Amen, NMReef.
Very good response to a much debated issue.

AGREED!!!!!!
When I left here the rabid "tang police" were fairly content with a 55g tank :rolleyes: I think that people have to look at the variables of the situation and plan for it. I'm no fan of grown tangs in small tanks, but there is no set rule for every situation, every tang and every tank, IMO. This doesn't mean I think people should go out and put one in a 29g though :) unless it is tiny and you have a larger system going.

sweetreef

the hippo tang will just do fine in smaller tanks if they have enuff rock work to hide in!!!!!!I have had one for three years in a 45 gallon tank if there enuff live rock they are happy..

nikkoli110

That is a beautiful pic of one NM Reef. I love those fish, such pretty colors, and I love to watch the way they swim. I hope some day I can upgrade to a bigger tank and get one. I do like how one of my lfs's keeps a yellow tang, and a blue hippo in one of the tanks, and doesnt sell them. They are huge! Like 4-5-6 inches. I think those people who dont research it well beforehand, would go in the store, and see this little tiny 1-2 inch fish, and think, "oh he'll be ok" but little do they know he's only a baby! So I like how my lsf store has some full grown, to show that no, they dont stay little forever!! :D