What to do with 29G

meowzer

OK, I just had "something" kill all my cichlids in my 29G tank
....SO nothing is left but my plescostomus which I will just put in another tank.
Here's my dilemma....I am going to empty the tank...I just don't know if I want to go FW again (I still have 3 other fw tanks) or do ANOTHER SW

I am more on the SW side of the fence...
I know to turn this into SW I have to clean very well....so first...I figure I'll let it soak really good...but in what? Bleach water..or vinegar water???
And then...WHAT to put in the tank....

florida joe

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3008292
OK, I just had "something" kill all my cichlids in my 29G tank
....SO nothing is left but my plescostomus which I will just put in another tank.
Here's my dilemma....I am going to empty the tank...I just don't know if I want to go FW again (I still have 3 other fw tanks) or do ANOTHER SW

I am more on the SW side of the fence...
I know to turn this into SW I have to clean very well....so first...I figure I'll let it soak really good...but in what? Bleach water..or vinegar water???
And then...WHAT to put in the tank....
bleach, Mantis shrimp tank or Fu Manchu lion fish

it's chuck

I am about to set up a 29 for a wartskin frogfish it will be him some softies and a revolving door of damsels.
I would not use bleach I clean all my aquarium stuff with hot water and vinegar

pezenfuego

Bleach...and here's an idea.
How about a tank specifically designed for a mated pair of clownfish
That's what I would do
Get a huge anemone and lots of live rock, then buy a mated pair of something. That would be beautiful.
Just one suggestion to mull though

Or you could do a brackish tank, the only problem with that is that your choices are very limited.
You could also buy a CO2 reactor and do a planted tank.

meowzer

Well I figure I have LOTS of time to do research on different fish....My first priority is to get it properly cleaned to make the transition

uneverno

I'd go w/ white vinegar water (not Red Wine
). Assuming you were keeping africans, that'll help remove any calcium/mineral deposits. If you were keeping South Americans, I'd just rinse it thoroughly w/ fresh water.
Then fill w/ SALT WATER.

After that, you're on your own.
You could do what I did w/ mine. It's been taken over as a cat bed...

pezenfuego

You know what would be super duper uber cool that isn't terribly difficult and very few people have?
A mudskipper tank!
Now that would be awesome!

meowzer

I know I will have to buy new lights eventually..BUT I have this type filter
Attachment 222606
No bio wheels.....will it work for SW?
Another question....The 29G has the standard lid and lights that come with it...When I add sand, Live Rock, and of course the SW...can I cycle with these lights??? I will buy new lights, but not until I need to.

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3008349
I know I will have to buy new lights eventually..BUT I have this type filter
Attachment 222606
No bio wheels.....will it work for SW?
Another question....The 29G has the standard lid and lights that come with it...When I add sand, Live Rock, and of course the SW...can I cycle with these lights??? I will buy new lights, but not until I need to.
Eh...
The only hob filter I would use for a 29 would be a penguin emperor 400 or bigger. Where did you get the tank/filter? If you got it at someplace like petsmart, you can return it for a full refund provided you have the receipt. There is no time limit and there is no need for the original box

meowzer

I think this filter..filters the same gph as the penguin....I have had it a long time...I would store it somewhere before I tried to return it..
And what about the light question?

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3008380
I think this filter..filters the same gph as the penguin....I have had it a long time...I would store it somewhere before I tried to return it..
And what about the light question?
What are the lights? As long as your LR doesn't have corals and such on it, it will be fine. There may be a little more die off, but the bacteria required is nonphotosynthetic, so nbd. Coraline growth may suffer. What are you wanting to do with this tank? Nano reef?

meowzer

The regular fl lights that come with a packaged tank....IDK what I want to do with it yet...that was the whole point of this thread

BUT since I am going to have to buy new lights anyway...I was just seeing if I could wait till closer to the end of cycling or had to have them from the start...

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3008390
The regular fl lights that come with a packaged tank....IDK what I want to do with it yet...that was the whole point of this thread

BUT since I am going to have to buy new lights anyway...I was just seeing if I could wait till closer to the end of cycling or had to have them from the start...
For a moment it sounded like you figured it out

But you have now decided saltwater right?
Here's an idea...give it to me

small triggers

what do you want, that you cant put in your other tank??? Like i would really like some bangaii and pyjama cardinals, but my trigger like to eat them... so anything like that?

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by small triggers
http:///forum/post/3008654
what do you want, that you cant put in your other tank??? Like i would really like some bangaii and pyjama cardinals, but my trigger like to eat them... so anything like that?

Ah, excellent point!

meowzer

Well I can't keep shrimp or crabs cause the ray eats them...I have thought of doing some different types of shrimp....I love the coral banded shrimp (so did the rayLOL)

pezenfuego

http:///forum/post/3008660
Well I can't keep shrimp or crabs cause the ray eats them...I have thought of doing some different types of shrimp....I love the coral banded shrimp (so did the rayLOL)

I prefer skunks. Nanos are awesome! If I had another 29 to work with, I'd get a pair of picasso clownfish and a bubble tip anemone.