what was the worst advice your lfs gave you?

R

rcreations

That PC lights are the best, better than T5 HO VHO MH, the best!
I had to laugh at them.

perfectdark

OMG where do I start... Yep your tank is cycled add what ever you want. (Only 2 days after start up)
Anemones can live just fine under low PC lighting.
Yep a scooter blenny or a mandarin is fine for your cube tank, just not both together, just keep in mind they dont live too long (yaa thats cuz they starve to death!!
)
yea I dont go there anymore....

fats71

Which one ??
1 ***** - Yes its best to throw damsels into your sw tank within 12 hours of adding the water.
2 ***** - Add a clown with them it will be fine
(actually they all made it thru the cycle but I dunno about lasting damage done to the lil guys.)
3 a shop in rolla where I bought my tank. "The skilter 400 is all the flow you will ever need and thats one of the best skimmmers their is" have never been back since.

R

rcreations

Most big chain LFS just want to sell stuff to make money. I saw them sell an emperor angel to a guy with a 30 gal tank. They told him he doesn't really need a big tank because the emperor angel doesn't like to swim around very fast. See, we keep it in this little tank, so can you.
Unfortunately I still have to go to this LFS. It's the only close store around where I can buy frozen fish food and salt.

ameno

yea so much, were do I start.
was selling Monjano as baby anemonies and claiming (these aren't the bad kind)
I tried to tell him they were Monjano, he said (never heard of Monjano these are ok they don't hurt anything) I gave up

B

bonita69

That my anemone did not need to be fed, just needs good lights. BLA
HAAA
if I told "Maytag" that he would jump out of my tank land on my face like the movie Aliens!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bonita69
http:///forum/post/2502046
That my anemone did not need to be fed, just needs good lights. BLA
HAAA
if I told "Maytag" that he would jump out of my tank land on my face like the movie Aliens!

ummm actually that is correct... if you have the CORRECT lighting anemones get 90% of their food from that alone, and very rarely "need" to be fed. Although we spot feed for the fun of it, to help keep their immune system up, and to keep them satisfied in hopes to avoid any fish casualties. Its not necessary for the general care of the animal. Again I stress if the lighting is sufficient.

B

bonita69

All I know is I have MH for him, I spot feed him once a week. I tell you by the end of the week he is wanting food. After he gets fed and finishes he spreads wide open and looks so awesome. My 2 clowns also give him a little bits of food. They do it in the wild too. Proper Lights are important and they can not live without them your right about that one! I look at it this way if they don't "need" to eat then why do they have a big mouth?

usc932000

Originally Posted by Fats71
http:///forum/post/2502038
Which one ??
1 ***** - Yes its best to throw damsels into your sw tank within 12 hours of adding the water.
2 ***** - Add a clown with them it will be fine
Actually my emergency LFS (*****) is very good. Their SW tanks are hypo set and they have a wonderful and healthy selection every week. This store in particular is not franchise owned and it definately shows. The fish that I have lost have not been from this store, but from another small LFS where the employees told me that Kick Ich works!

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2502067
All I know is I have MH for him, I spot feed him once a week. I tell you by the end of the week he is wanting food. After he gets fed and finishes he spreads wide open and looks so awesome. My 2 clowns also give him a little bits of food. They do it in the wild too. Proper Lights are important and they can not live without them your right about that one! I look at it this way if they don't "need" to eat then why do they have a big mouth?
To answer your question, anemones are very delicate animals they dont take well to change, their body structure is very fragile and they have specific requirements to keep them healthy. Because of their delicate make up, nature has given them a phenominal survival technique. That is, multiple ways to ensure survival. Their primary food source is light and as explained above if this is given to them in ample amounts and in the correct intensitiy that is all that is really required. However given the vast differences in location, issues that may arise in the wild they are also given the unique ability to ingest food too. In scenarios where light maybe in short order for them, a rock has blocked them to available light, or they become dislodged from their footing and have slipped to a depth where light isnt as strong. They can supplement their diet with meaty foods to help keep them alive until they can find a light source again. Along with this added feature they are also given the ability to reproduce s ex ually and as ex ually. Just another way to keep their survival rate up. Giving them these abilities helps in the absence of another anemone and or the correct amount of light.

when I first started with my 55 gallon, my lfs told me since I put live sand and the product CYCLE I can start putting fish in a week. They sold me a tomato clown, huma trigger, and a panther grouper, which all died.This particular store would sell you anything for any size tank.

B

bonita69

Way cool and great information, Guess I was given good advice after all. Just not as detailed!
I have been lucky and have had my carpet for well over a year now and has grown form 5 inches to over 16 inches....(hold 1)... just did a measure on him getting 19 inches on the spread. I don't think he would do so well if I stopped feeding him because I have for so long.
I am about to take a pic of his spread.

browniebuck

when I first started, I was told that a Naso and Hippo tang would be fine in my 55 (which, I think the Naso would have been...at least until I would have learned otherwise and talked my wife into a bigger tank (the Naso was her favorite fish), if not for the freaking Hippo getting ick!!!)...now, I am stuck with my 55 until we move (at least 5 years down the line
)

perfectdark

http:///forum/post/2502100
Way cool and great information, Guess I was given good advice after all. Just not as detailed!
I have been lucky and have had my carpet for well over a year now and has grown form 5 inches to over 16 inches....(hold 1)... just did a measure on him getting 19 inches on the spread. I don't think he would do so well if I stopped feeding him because I have for so long.
I am about to take a pic of his spread.
They definatly grow much larger much faster when supplemental feedings are given frequently.

scsinet

I was also told once that a Naso would do fine in a 55. And a Mimic... and an Orange Shoulder... and a Kole... and all sorts of other Tangs. Unfortunately, the Naso advice came early in my entry into the hobby and I listened.

Anemone lies abound. It seems that LFSs are notorious for "An anemone will do fine under that light." I've been told that myself. I've chalked it up to anemones having a high mortality rate in fish stores so they try to move them through quickly.
I once overheard a guy in an LFS tell a customer that he could treat a shark with copper. I got kicked out of that store for what came next.
I also once overheard a guy tell someone that you should "freshwater dip live rock."

jpc763

One of my LFS told a guy that a Linka Starfish would be great for his new tank. "See how colorful it is"?
At the same time the guy said as the customer moved around the tanks, "Yea a Crocea Clam would also do great in your tank."
The tank had just cycled.