What would YOU do in this situation?

michaeltx

I miss the big stuff and usually end up hitting bats,birds, and water snakes going down the highway.
I agree the best thing to do is put it out of its misery if you do hit it though.
Mike

howardj

I had no choice. I was either a ditch, the other ditch, or a mailbox.. pretty much in the ditch.
The coon was fine at first.. but then it second guessed itself and turned around.. he turned, the way I swerved..

howardj

SNAKES, SNAKES on the other hand.. I will put my back tire to.
Sorry to you snake lovers.. don't let it get on the road.

michaeltx

I try not to kill snakes around here they keep the field mice down and since I live in an area that does alot of rice and wheat growing I wont mess with them unless I have to.
Mike

sepulatian

I leave the snakes on my property too. They don't come close to the house. I don't kill anything (besides bugs) unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary. I have had to kill one snake. It was in the lip of my siding and was trying to strike anyone that came by. He had to go. I tried to send him elsewhere, but he decided that the entrance to the porch was his. I have never hit anything with my car other than a chipmunk. Tommorow someones horse will break loose and jump in front of me just because I said that LOL.

howardj

Originally Posted by Sep
Tommorow someones horse will break loose and jump in front of me just because I said that LOL.
THAT'S WHAT ALWAYS
HAPPENS!!
I just hope it's not a horse..

sepulatian

Originally Posted by HowardJ
http:///forum/post/2628017
THAT'S WHAT ALWAYS
HAPPENS!!
I just hope it's not a horse..

That happened to me once. I was driving on a back road to pick up my son. Three horses darted out of a hidden driveway. I slammed on the brakes. I didn't hit them. I told the babysitter, who knew the people, she called and told them that their horses were loose. LOL stuff happens. It is hard to explain, I will do 90 on an expressway, and not be worried. I keep my eyes peeled for wild life though. I am cautious and alert, yet have no problem speeding on the open road

teresaq

The only thing I have hit is a bird, but hubby has hit several things - he worked nights- the worse was a skunk.
when i was a kid someone came to our door one night to use the phone because he had hit a deer, turned out to be a pony. Thank goodness it wasnt one of ours. Put poor pony

K

kikithemermaid

Knock on wood, I've never hit an animal. I would feel so guilty, cry a lot, and bury it.

ive never hit anything either, came close to a horse once, and some birds but i would plaster something if it ran in front of me, i wont swerve for an animal with my 2year old in the car. which is always.
RIP any animal that gets on the road in front of my suv.

i hate having to kill wounded animals. i once watched a bird with a badly broken wing hobble around my backyard for two days before i put it out of its misery. unluckily, all i had was a shovel. that was one of the sadest things i ever did. i wonder what the neighbors would have thought if they were watching.

howardj

Originally Posted by TeresaQ
http:///forum/post/2628113
The only thing I have hit is a bird, but hubby has hit several things - he worked nights- the worse was a skunk.
when i was a kid someone came to our door one night to use the phone because he had hit a deer, turned out to be a pony. Thank goodness it wasnt one of ours. Put poor pony

HOW DO YOU MISTAKE A DEER FOR A PONY?!??!?!?!?!

porkchop48

We had a guy around here that thought he hit a cow. But the road he was on was dark and windy and at the bottom of it was the stae police barracks So he drove to the bottom of the hill to let them know.
When they went up to clean up the cow the found a large black bear.
So a pony for a deer is not that far off

bgbdwlf2500

i will NOT try to miss a small animal on the road. i wont try to hit it but im not going to hit a tree and total a truck to miss an animal that will do much less damage....
in the situation of hitting something and not killing it i would put it out of its misery though...

coachklm

windy ,curvy, mountainous montana rd. .... daughter in the back.... 9:00pm ...dusk.... I look to the left and see momma and baby fox running along side the road... I slow down momma darts into the forest left baby dashes to the right... " HOLD...."
........Thump,thump... " what was that daddy?".... just a rock..
I will not let my child see the carnage .. I reported it later..

I felt really bad.... but I knew he was dead.

pontius

I'd try to kill it, if possible. but imo, racoons are wretched animals so I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.
I wrecked my truck one time at night because I swerved to miss a horse that was standing in the road. considering that the owner's first words to me was "did you hit my horse?" and I had to end up suing him to get him to pay for my truck, I wish I had hit the horse and then backed over it again.
now dogs, I hate to hit dogs. I've hit a couple in my day. I don't like to hit dogs.

howardj

I don't know what I would do if I hit a dog.. I don't think I would have to heart to tell the owner..
I would probably be a wuss, take it to the vet and have it uthanized..
I coon hunt.. so I don't know what the big deal was..
I went back the next day... and it wasn't there. A blood stained road.. but it wasn't there.
(to the left, two buzzards)