what's the 1st thing you wish you had known

coonskiner

Originally Posted by snccoulter
I wish I had not listened to LFS and bought a Pink Hotdog I was told it would not be a problem if it died in my tank since it was as large as it is. unfortunately lost $500 in fish 2 days before I deployed to the desert my wife is learning on the fly how to restock a 130 gallon tank hopefully I will have a nice tank when I get home.

thank you for your serivce, for fighting for my freedom. i know this has nothing to do with this thrend but i had to say it. everone should thank you and everone else that is in the serivce

jackhammel

Originally Posted by Bandman
To use a sand bed instead of CC. My LFS told me to mix live sand and CC. I have spent most of the year I have in this hobby repairing that mistake.
what is wrong with cc

dsmattice

The first thing I wish I had known.....that I didn't know the first thing about saltwater setups.
Research, research, research and patience is the quickest route to a healthier account balance, er, reef I mean.

the sherm

Originally Posted by chachi
when you got your first tank? We are buying an established tank from a mutual friend and are looking for 2nd opinions. So, what is the first thing you wish you had known when you got your first tank?
OVER FLOW BOX SUCKS BUILT IN OVER FLOW IS EASIER

L

lpuzon

hello everyone!~
hello! i'm a newbie, i just registered.. been reading all your posts for a while now. i'm so glad that i found this site! :jumping: i'm totally new to this kind of expensive and addicting hobby (better than anything else, right?) what i have is:
- 72g bowtank, my 1st tank
- bio balls as my filter
- rio 2100 pump
- 50-50 coral flourenscent light
- CC
- LRs
- a maroon clown, yellow tang, regal tang, 2 yellowtail damsel, a velvet damsel, 1 heniochus butterfly, a chocolate chip starfish and a bicolor angel.
i would want to add the cleaner shrimp in my tank, but i'm scared that my starfish would eat her... can't have a puffer, too, because he might eat my damsels...
i have my set up for 8 mos now. had my water tested at the LFS, and all my # are ok, except my ammonia is a little high...(they said because i overfed my little ones!) so instead of the usual everyday feeding, i'm on an every other day feedings!
as you would all know, ammonia's up, so my H2o is cloudy... :help: i've been thinking a lot how to make it clearer.
everyone's right! HD aquariums is much better to stare at! (i confess to it! 5 to ? hours a day!) can't do anything about it! I'M HOOKED!!!!!
i welcome all advice, it would really be a great help!!!!

fish911

So far I have no regrets
I did a ton of research and learned from everyone elses mistakes .... and this forum is a great asset to my success... i have had my 72g bowfront for just under 3 weeks now
and everything is running very smoothly!

merredeth

Originally Posted by lpuzon
hello everyone!~
hello! i'm a newbie, i just registered.. been reading all your posts for a while now. i'm so glad that i found this site! :jumping: i'm totally new to this kind of expensive and addicting hobby (better than anything else, right?) what i have is:
- 72g bowtank, my 1st tank
- bio balls as my filter
- rio 2100 pump
- 50-50 coral flourenscent light
- CC
- LRs
- a maroon clown, yellow tang, regal tang, 2 yellowtail damsel, a velvet damsel, 1 heniochus butterfly, a chocolate chip starfish and a bicolor angel.
i would want to add the cleaner shrimp in my tank, but i'm scared that my starfish would eat her... can't have a puffer, too, because he might eat my damsels...
i have my set up for 8 mos now. had my water tested at the LFS, and all my # are ok, except my ammonia is a little high...(they said because i overfed my little ones!) so instead of the usual everyday feeding, i'm on an every other day feedings!
as you would all know, ammonia's up, so my H2o is cloudy... :help: i've been thinking a lot how to make it clearer.
everyone's right! HD aquariums is much better to stare at! (i confess to it! 5 to ? hours a day!) can't do anything about it! I'M HOOKED!!!!!
i welcome all advice, it would really be a great help!!!!

We probably should start another topic for you since you asked help. I'm asking that other members please excuse this note who are expecting to read about nothing but tank mistakes.
Welcome to the boards!
Great tank, and I applaud you for asking for advice as we all needed it at one time when we were newbies. Even some of the most experienced here need help when something goes goofy.
My personal opinion is that your tank is way overstocked which is probably part of the ammonia problem you have.
A yellow tang, regal tang and henny is too much for a 72 gallon bowfront. I don't know how big your fish are but these fish can get big and tangs need ample swimming room. Tangs stress really easily and can get ich which could infect the other tankmates.
I don't know if you run carbon in your tank but to make my tankwater a little more polished, I do run carbon through my tank.
I feed my fish multiple times a day. I take the daily amount and spread it out over the day - feeding three times daily. There is much less food wasting away in the tank, and the fish (especially ones that like to graze) I can visually see that they are getting enough food.
Because of the amount of fish you have in the tank, I would suggest that you buy some frozen food (I like Formula One) and soak it in garlic extract. I buy whole cloves of garlic and with a garlic press take half a garlic clove and press it daily for each tank. Then add a couple teaspoons of tank water with the food and let it soak in the refrig for 1/2 an hour or so. Since I feed mine three times a day, my tank food is made up in the morning and then sits in the regrig, taken out to use throughout the day. By the end of the day I have used up all the food and begin the process all over again the following day.
Garlic is going to help the immune system of your fish. Garlic can help ward off potential problems like ich.
I don't want to go into care of fish on this thread since this is really not related to the topic, but if you want to discuss this more we can always make a new topic to go over it if there is any questions.
Denise M.

sea slug

my one regret is putting in crushed coral as a substrate instead of sand

not because the cc is making my nitrates high because that's a bunch of bull
it's because there are so many critters that need sand instead, for instance
sand sifting crabs
sand sifting snails
sand sifting cucumbers
sand sifting stars
horseshoe crabs
and all of which I wanted :happyfish
except for the cuke
they are evil in the deepest degree :mad:

merredeth

Originally Posted by Sea Slug
my one regret is putting in crushed coral as a substrate instead of sand

not because the cc is making my nitrates high because that's a bunch of bull
it's because there are so many critters that need sand instead, for instance
sand sifting crabs
sand sifting snails
sand sifting cucumbers
sand sifting stars
horseshoe crabs
and all of which I wanted :happyfish
except for the cuke
they are evil in the deepest degree :mad:
Trust me, after growing up on the east coast and walking the beaches of Fortesque and having to walk carefully due to horseshoe crabs - you don't want one. For one thing they get HUGE and unless you have well over six feet of grazing bottom and several hundred gallons they will die anyway.
You especially wouldn't like them if you ever stepped on their tail. OUCH!!!!
Denise M.

sea slug

correction,
I wanted one in my 75 gal tank
I already have on in my 12 gal nano
and for their tail, it can't be much worse than my BLS urchin
I've already been impaled by him while I was cleaning the glass Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

and basides when he gets big I can just mail him to you and you can put him on the beach and he can spend the rest of his life combing the beaches looking for the
pre-packaged shrimp pellets hes used to eating ha ha ha

merredeth

Originally Posted by Sea Slug
correction,
I wanted one in my 75 gal tank
I already have on in my 12 gal nano
and for their tail, it can't be much worse than my BLS urchin
I've already been impaled by him while I was cleaning the glass Ouch!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

You probably will see the horsheshoe crab die in the nano. Even moving him to the 75 gallon isn't going to help him.
Also, something else to note is that I read someplace that they like cooler water than most saltwater fish.
Good luck with him...
Denise M.

piscesblue

Check your local Craigslist before buying anything!!! I got a 75gal reef ready acrylic for $150! Also, buy all hardware online. If you buy from Petsmart, make sure you print the stuff you want off their website and bring it in the store, you'll save around 40% on all your hardware.

S

slofish

I wish i knew that crack woulda been cheaper than starting a fish tank.. i woulda gone to that hobby instead

Its ok, cause now ive just added to my addiction and got myself a 180!!! :cheer:

You know, the FDA should list salt and calcium to their list of addicting items

merredeth

Originally Posted by SLOFish
...You know, the FDA should list salt and calcium to their list of addicting items

Hey! If anything can take the place of chocolate, coffee or cigarettes I'm all for this addiction. Unfortunately, I can smoke at my desk, stick the coffee IV on the coffee warmer and as for chocolate - my husband works for one of the largest pet food and chocolate manufcaturers in the world. I'm so screwed....
Denise M.

goingcrazy

Originally Posted by kjord97
hahahahahahahaha THIS IS THE BIGGEST TRUTH OUT THERE
I AGREE ON THAT ONE SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH READ UP IF YOU WONT TO KNOW ANYTHING DONT TRUST THERE WORD FOR IT...GRAB A BOOK OFF :thinking: THE SELF AT THE PET STORE AND READ FOR A MINUNTE..........