Who Has the Coolest Car!

S

saltfishweseek

Here is my 2000 Ford Expedition XLT, sitting on 22's, loaded with 3.5 video indash , 2- 8" headrest monitors, and a 12" center flip down for all viewing in 3rd., row seat, also have 2-12" sub's with 1000 Watt amp, pounding this whip..

t316

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3029666
Sue, that Vehicross is actually pretty cool. Do you know why there wasn't that many of them made/the history behind it? (I do, seeing if it was explained to you)

aquaknight

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/3030097
No, I DON'T know and I would LOVE to know why! And then I will go to the Vehicross Forum and share the info there. Perhaps some of them already know but I don't remember ever reading about it and I think I read every post before I bought my VX.
Do tell!
Sue
Sorry, distracted trying to studying for finals with the stupid internet going out!!

Anyways, the VehiCross was the first car to use ceramic body stamping dies (casts) in it's production process. Ceramic dies are significantly less time consuming and less expensive then traditional cast-iron dies. The VehiCross was one of the fastest cars from concept car stage, to the showroom. The drawbacks were that the cermanic dies wear out fast, but they wore faster then expected. Also they were limited to how complex they could shape the dies, so the really 'curvy parts' are that plastic, with the metal body being a more traditional shape.
To a less degree then the manufacturing process, the VehiCross was slotted as Isuzi's "halo" car, so it got some goodies too, Torque-On-Demand which is a pretty sophisticated 4WD in it's own right, using a separate computer, it constantly monitors and adjust the car, and actually runs through a number of scenarios and 'predicts' certain things like wheel spin. There should be a little gauge in the dash somewhere that displays a TOD readout. The VehiCross is also one of the few production vehicles ever to feature aluminum monotube shocks with external expansion chambers. Very similar to the ones on motocross bikes and monster trucks.
Originally Posted by truehle

http:///forum/post/3030147
My '05 Pontiac Bonneville GXP. ALTHOUGH, I really miss my '86 Camaro.
Attachment 224022
Lol, nice wheels!
Bought a set for my STS (reply #54). For an 18" wheel they're super light. On my fishing scale I weighed them in at 18lbs. Identical weight the factory 16" wheels.
The GXP is a cool car though. It was the only GM ever to be offered with the 275hp (LD8) version of the Northstar and the 3.71-geared tranny. It should have been a real tire smokers, but from experience the traction/torque management is crazy restrictive...

sueandherzoo

http:///forum/post/3030733
Sorry, distracted trying to studying for finals with the stupid internet going out!!

Anyways, the VehiCross was the first car to use ceramic body stamping dies (casts) in it's production process. Ceramic dies are significantly less time consuming and less expensive then traditional cast-iron dies. The VehiCross was one of the fastest cars from concept car stage, to the showroom. The drawbacks were that the cermanic dies wear out fast, but they wore faster then expected. Also they were limited to how complex they could shape the dies, so the really 'curvy parts' are that plastic, with the metal body being a more traditional shape.
To a less degree then the manufacturing process, the VehiCross was slotted as Isuzi's "halo" car, so it got some goodies too, Torque-On-Demand which is a pretty sophisticated 4WD in it's own right, using a separate computer, it constantly monitors and adjust the car, and actually runs through a number of scenarios and 'predicts' certain things like wheel spin. There should be a little gauge in the dash somewhere that displays a TOD readout. The VehiCross is also one of the few production vehicles ever to feature aluminum monotube shocks with external expansion chambers. Very similar to the ones on motocross bikes and monster trucks.
Great info - thanks! I guess it's safe to assume the ceramic dies wore out at about the 4,000th vehicle mark (but those 4,000 vehicles were spread over a 3-year period during 1999 - 2001).
I do really like the TOD feature and yes, you can watch the dashboard display light up depending on the torque needed and provided during certain circumstances. This vehicle is like a mountain goat in the snow - it gets through ANYTHING. It's also a very heavy vehicle (if memory serves me I believe it's about 4,000 pounds)
Some of the design features probably kept it from becoming more popular - I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone who has to utilize the back seats much - VERY difficult to get in and out of there. I actually had the back seats taken out and use it as a 2-passenger mobile. The Ricaro sport seats are awesome.
Mine is probably going to hit the Vehicross forums and E-Bay in the next few months, though..... I'm ready for some more luxuries and creature comforts than it provides and I usually get antsy for a new vehicle every 3-4 years. I think I'm pushing 5 with this one!
Thanks for the info - I'll definitely be sharing that with other VX lovers.
Sue

truehle

http:///forum/post/3030733
Lol, nice wheels!
Bought a set for my STS (reply #54). For an 18" wheel they're super light. On my fishing scale I weighed them in at 18lbs. Identical weight the factory 16" wheels.
The GXP is a cool car though. It was the only GM ever to be offered with the 275hp (LD8) version of the Northstar and the 3.71-geared tranny. It should have been a real tire smokers, but from experience the traction/torque management is crazy restrictive...
Once you've disabled all that gunk, she can run the 1/4 mile in 14.6-14.8 seconds at about 95mph. And I believe I've read that someone got the GXP up to 143 out on the Autobahn.

meowzer

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3031195
I just got my first car today. It's too dark to really get a good picture...but here you go, The picture is sorta small. 98 Oldsmobile Intrigue.
Attachment 224088
Good for you PEZ...And good luck with it...Just Be careful...and always know what's going on around you

tangman99

Hey Crypt Keeper,
Looks like we like the same kind of toys! Except I'm a Honda guy and prefer the road course tracks but it's all good. How in the heck do you keep the front wheel down? Both of my 1000's are wheelie machines and the -1/+2 520 chain conversion I'm doing to my trackbike is going to make it even more fun off the corners.