Who thinks this is way too many fish?

jthomas0385

You will definitely run into problems, and quickly. If I were you I would keep the 2 percs and 1 angel. I would try to give the rest back to the LFS you got them at or to somebody you know. I would also be concerned about that many inverts. I had a 25 gallon tank, and I only kept a blenny, and 2 clowns in it.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Salt Life
http:///forum/post/2927396
haha, nice catch kowaleski.. people are funny sometimes, lieing so they don't feel like a moron.
I think it's a little sad that someone feels they have to lie on these boards to ask a question without being beat to death. Makes you think about the answers that are being given out to people.

ophiura

Yes and no.
I think you have to lie when you know what the answer will be....so it is more a guilt thing than necessarily what people will say.
Now I do see other times when that is not the case but in this one, I think he knew the answer.
So I do not think it will be a long term success.

small triggers

I would like to just say that people who do not research and look into the actual fish they are buying tend to buy what they think is pretty without thinking about how large it will get. I am guilty of putting 4 tiny triggers and 4 other small fish in a 35g, though i knew in a year i WAS upgrading to a 150g (already had it). I have seen people with the best of intentions saying they are 'planning' on upgrading but never do and their fish suffer. All i know is, i hope whoevers tank it is, is going to try to find new homes for most of those fish or upgrade to a new larger 75g ish tank.

I think all our recommendation is to bring back to the LFS your angelfish or at least most of them. I have never seen 2 angels do well unless they are in a 100 + tank.

All right, yes, wow congradulations my tank info matches my description in the thread. Thats because my tank is partially owned by my family. The only reason I started this post is bc my dad has been bringing home fish from the lfs randomly when i've already told him about what is ethical and ideal to keep in a 26 gallon tank. The guy who owns the store keeps telling him that it will work and my dad trusts him from years of freshwater purchases. The point of this thread was to inform my dad that indeed he was wrong by showing him various opinions from experienced members on this site. Thank you for your feedback it is appreciated.

triggerz92

All right, yes, wow congradulations my tank info matches my description in the thread. Thats because my tank is partially owned by my family. The only reason I started this post is bc my dad has been bringing home fish from the lfs randomly when i've already told him about what is ethical and ideal to keep in a 26 gallon tank. The guy who owns the store keeps telling him that it will work and my dad trusts him from years of freshwater purchases. The point of this thread was to inform my dad that indeed he was wrong by showing him various opinions from experienced members on this site. Thank you for your feedback it is appreciated.

So I guess that means you have to different user names on here?
Date of Birth:
May 2
Tank Size:
180, 210
My Fish:
bluethroat trigger, sea goblin, emperor angel
My Invertebrates:
Fire shrimp, emerald crab, aarow crab, turbos
My Equipment:
Emperors, Eheim canister, AquaC protien skimmers, Koiralas...
What I Feed:
Variety of Frozen
My Interests:
sports, swf
Hobby Experience:
amature
My Location:
Wisconsin

meowzer

Originally Posted by Triggerz92
http:///forum/post/2927549

Why not just say that then? A lot of people are here to help and offer good advice.

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2927549

This may be part of the problem...if your dad is used to freshwater...as far as I know you can pack fish in freshwater tanks. It's just not the same for saltwater. No biggie though...excellent chance to push for a bigger or multiple tanks
. If the family is behind it...it greatly increases your chances. Good luck to ya

Little white lies never hurt anyone.

salt life

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/2927437
Yes and no.
I think you have to lie when you know what the answer will be....so it is more a guilt thing than necessarily what people will say.
Now I do see other times when that is not the case but in this one, I think he knew the answer.
So I do not think it will be a long term success.
I dont think anyone "has" to lie, if you know the answer to the question you are asking, then you might as well be straight foward, tell it like it is, and take the advice people post in the thread, people do get attitudial sometimes and im sure it makes newer memebers or in general feel uncomfortable to ask some questions, but we are all here to help, right? no hard feelings.

triggerz92

I felt that I had to get this post out because yesterday he came home with a brown bag a little bigger than usual in his coat. So I figred oh god what did he get this time. In one purchase he bought the bicolor, coral beauty, anthias, and horsehoe crab! I couldn't believe it! I got in an argument with him saying that it wasn't that I didn't want the them (they're all great), that it was that the tank was already too small for the amount of fish it allready held let alone the ones he just purchased. Pretty frustrating...

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2927584
I felt that I had to get this post out because yesterday he came home with a brown bag a little bigger than usual in his coat. So I figred oh god what did he get this time. In one purchase he bought the bicolor, coral beauty, anthias, and horsehoe crab! I couldn't believe it! I got in an argument with him saying that it wasn't that I didn't want the them (they're all great), that it was that the tank was already too small for the amount of fish it allready held let alone the ones he just purchased. Pretty frustrating...

Frustrating, but how cool that your dad shares an interest in your hobby. You are very lucky. I am 30 and my father and I have done this hobby together since I was around 12. It's great. Push for the bigger tank...build a stand together

salt life

If he likes buying all these fish, then cut a deal with him, he buys you a bigger tank which you can say you will take care of, and you can keep letting him buy the fish ( as long as they are suited for the tank size of course). seems like it would work out for both of you

triggerz92

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2927571
This may be part of the problem...if your dad is used to freshwater...as far as I know you can pack fish in freshwater tanks. It's just not the same for saltwater. No biggie though...excellent chance to push for a bigger or multiple tanks
. If the family is behind it...it greatly increases your chances. Good luck to ya

Little white lies never hurt anyone.
I'm not lying about who is putting the fish in if thats what you've come to the conclusion of. I would not feel embarassed asking a "dumb" question on this site for I have multiple times if you check my posting history. The only reason for this post was to prove a point to my dad. I think usirchchris you have made a very valid point. Every freshwater tank he has owned over the years has always been a large peaceful community of fish. He isn't (obviously) a very learned saltwater fishkeeper and so generalizes everything he has learned from his freshwater experience to saltwater.

U

usirchchris

http:///forum/post/2927608
I'm not lying about who is putting the fish in if thats what you've come to the conclusion of. I would not feel embarassed asking a "dumb" question on this site for I have multiple times if you check my posting history. The only reason for this post was to prove a point to my dad. I think usirchchris you have made a very valid point. Every freshwater tank he has owned over the years has always been a large peaceful community of fish. He isn't (obviously) a very learned saltwater fishkeeper and so generalizes everything he has learned from his freshwater experience to saltwater.
Wasn't suggesting that you were lying at all friend, and in fact could care less either way. Just see that you are recieving some flack...and I am unsure as to why they care who was doing what
thus my little white lie comment.