whoops, ive passed a new law

sharkboy13

this is an article out of the valley news, i was stung on the first of this month:
12/3/06
due to a 12 yo NH boys near death experrience from being stung by his lionfish. lionfish and other scorpionfish r now banned from sale in NH and ownership is prohibited.
any1 caught w/ any of the following species faces a $1,500 fine and up to 1 year in jail:
antennata lionfish (Pteirois antennata)
fuzzy turkeyfish (Dendrochirus brachypterus)
volitan lionfish (Pterois volitans)
radiata lionfish (Pterois radiata)
russels lionfish (Pterois russles
)
fu manchu lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus
)
rogue scorpionfish (Amblyapistus taenianotus
)
and other species of the scorpionfish relation.
{EDIT}

Damn, another state with an animal ban.
Lions are too cheap, too pretty, and too common for accidents not to happen. Much like venomous snakes, pitt-bulls, and the like, they are too accessailbe to too many idiots and the govenment has to step in and decide what is best for us. Maddening.

sharkboy13

ya, i have to figure how to get my lionfishto fish and game b4 they bust down my door and haul me away
Jon (but for now filipio martez)

jon321

Are you the one that got stung and almost died? Or some other 12 year old? Bad news indeed.
Jon

psusocr1

no offense but thats NOT something i would brag about. and honestly if i lived near you and you were actually the one that got lionfish banned and i had to give my two lionfish up i wouldnt be very happy with you! and i would fight the law.. No offense once again but maybe noone under the age of 16 or so should have poisenous animals . Its NOT FAIR to other RESPONSIBLE keepers to have to give up nice animals due to youg children not bieng carefull.. NOT COOL :mad:

ryanhayes9

Originally Posted by psusocr1
no offense but thats NOT something i would brag about. and honestly if i lived near you and you were actually the one that got lionfish banned and i had to give my two lionfish up i wouldnt be very happy with you! and i would fight the law.. No offense once again but maybe noone under the age of 16 or so should have poisenous animals . Its NOT FAIR to other RESPONSIBLE keepers to have to give up nice animals due to youg children not bieng carefull.. NOT COOL :mad:
100% agree. just because some irrisponsible kid did something stupid, i had to give mt fish away! id tell them f they want it out so bad catch it with there hands
not saying your irresponsible

gsxr750

Originally Posted by seannmelly
Is this a joke?

It has to be, I was at sea world pet center in Salem NH tonight and they had 15 lionfish for sale!

xdave

Fatalities from lionfish stings are very rare and are mostly the result of encounters in the wild. Death from insect stings are far more common.
I'm going to have to blame the parents on this one. Allowing a kid to keep a poisonous wild animal without assuring he takes the proper precautions in it's handling is irresponsible.
And to Sharkboy13, the next time you ruin something for every aquarist in a whole state, don't post it on the board where they all hang out.

lion_crazz

I don't think this is a real news story. I could not find it in the Valley News.
And if it is real, you should be ashamed of yourself, Sharkboy.

sharkboy13

ok it was a small joke that got played on me and i wanted to see if u guys wer as stupid as i was and ur not really, but the valley news is real and im sry if i caused a disturbance

psusocr1

of course he will make some story up now that he was kidding and it wasnt him,, but this is really ahame

sharkboy13

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
And if it is real, you should be ashamed of yourself, Sharkboy.
out of question y would i be ashamed of myself for an accident that no1 wanted to see happen again so they passed a law?

lion_crazz

Because it's something very irresponsible that devastates many people and many responsible lionfish owners.
I have dealt with lionfish and scorpionfish for many years and I always make sure I am very cautious and responsible with handling them. You need to do that with any animal that you purchase or obtain or else you do not deserve to keep the animal.
It's things like this and the dumping of animals back into the ocean that gives this hobby a bad name.

psusocr1

ALSO you should find out if your allergic to lionfish stings BEFORE buying one.. NOT AFTER, and definantly NOT THE HARD WAY... this would have prevented anythigng from happening if you made the right decision in the first place.. not trying to come down on you sharkboy but everyone needs to use their heads when dealing with poisenous animals, thats from the thought of purchasing all the way down to the feeding/ caring for the animal to make sure things like this dont happen.
if you had a pet king cobra you wouldnt just stick your hand in his face would you? i bet you also would be sure to take 100% caution as to go NOWERE near his striking range..
same concept should apply when dealing with lionfish( you can use eggcrate to seperate them from you when cleaning, feeding etc. etc.)
i know accidents happen, but it bothers me that you must have been allergic and that your soo young.. its kind of scary you could have died from carelessness!

bang guy

Originally Posted by psusocr1
ALSO you should find out if your allergic to lionfish stings BEFORE buying one.. NOT AFTER, and definantly NOT THE HARD WAY... this would have prevented anythigng from happening if you made the right decision in the first place..
How would you know if you're allergic unless you've already been stung?

unleashed

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
How would you know if you're allergic unless you've already been stung?
most commonly the people that are highly allergic to be stings should avoid owning any venomous species of fish..but to be honest i beleive these fish should not be owned by minors no offence sharkboy but children tend to have less resiliance(imunities) to fight off an allergic reaction to venom same as for seniors.. these stings can be potentially fatal to some people ,minors and seniors are at higher risk

ophiura

Originally Posted by unleashed
most commonly the people that are highly allergic to be stings should avoid owning any venomous species of fish..but to be honest i beleive these fish should not be owned by minors no offence sharkboy but children tend to have less resiliance(imunities) to fight off an allergic reaction to venom same as for seniors.. these stings can be potentially fatal to some people ,minors and seniors are at higher risk

Incidentally, I am severely allergic to wasps and hornets, and not at all to bees. I never knew this until I was stung at the age of 33.
I've worked with lionfish - many, in very small systems- for years and never been stung. Nor would I avoid keeping lionfish...most people probably do not know if they are allergic to bees, wasps, etc. Simply because things are venemous, does not mean that the venoms are in any way related. I guarantee that you can be fine with bees and wasps, and be severely allergic to a lionfish or vice versa.
However, I have to agree that these are not the best fish for minors to keep.
And Sharkboy13, no, I don't appreciate the joke. I was very tempted to delete this waste of time and space
but maybe it should stay.
Remember about the boy who cried wolf, however.