Why are the forums slowing down so much?

mr. limpid

Snake you and I usually see eye to eye on a lot of stuff. But I think you are wrong about "A lot of what goes on here is repetition, repetition, repetition. " and I believe you really don't think this. It repetition to us because we been doing for awhile, but the person just starting out it all new and exciting. I look at each of the photo of peoples tanks, and say to myself this is there imagination and vision for there tank. I may say boring seen that a hundred times or wow that's cool, but then I remember this there tank there vision, who am I to say its repetitious. Some people say if you seen one hippo tang you seen them all, but we all its not true each fish has its own personality. I heaved owned over the past 30 years at least 6 different hippos and each one was different in some way. The same for peoples set ups, so it can never be repetition.

darthtang aw

I think dedicating one of the advertising panes to a live web cam set up for stage two at Trixy's pole lounge might draw some attention........
They could try thread of the month contests. Give out a store credit to the winner each month.
you misspelled thong.
darth (support college girls) Tang

travelerjp98

I'm not too active on the forums right now because I have pneumonia and can't really do much besides lay on the couch. LOL.

S

siptang

LoL at Darth's comment.
AOL 1.5 whew~

But I think forums are slowing down to a numerous things.
1.) People have lives and other things to do besides constantly worry about tanks. (I'll admit that I don't have a life lol)
2.) other social gathering place like other member mentioned.
3.) not much going on in their tanks.
4.) message board button hidden in way in the corner where it's barely visible. :/
I make sure I come here couple of times a day to say hi or see what type of things are going on here.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There is always down times on forums, and this is no exception. You might even expect that more as we go through the holidays, and online fish selling becomes less during the Winter.
I don't think other social media is taking that much away from the forum style of communication because a lot of people are bored with FB too. When I joined SWF AOL was the world's #1 social media. Now where did AOL go, and guess who is still around....
However, I think the traffic of a forum depends a great deal on the quality and energy of its community. Making that work to the benefit of the forum will take sometimes answering the same old boring questions that we have seen millions of times. It will take being kind and forgiving to newbies who may seem clueless to some, but who still need our help, or at least, their tanks need it. It will take us being a bit tolerant of each other and our difference in personalities and communication styles. If we were all the same, this place would really be a big bore.
I would suggest that all of those with a bit of experience commit to answering at least 3-4 questions posted daily, and, if you can't do that, then at least do it a few times a week. And, if you can't do that, then don't post bitching sessions in here. LOL Increases in activity comes when "the community" is a great place to be, not on how many contests we have, or gimmicks we can come up with. A great forum is a reflection on how much each of us put in to it. We are "the forum" and SWF just provides the template and financial backing for us to be here. The quality of this place falls on all of us.
I think beefing up good information for SWF guests is a good idea. As I've said, many guests are here every day and come just looking for information needed to start the hobby, identify or cure a disease, etc., etc. I still feel pretty cool after all these years here when I get a PM from a new member who tells me that they have been reading my info posts, got a lot out of it, and ask me if I would mind just helping them out a bit more. Heck no, I don't mind, bring on the ich question one more time!

Now, we have bantered and cut down the chat room question. But, maybe that is something that we can try out, if it is even possible to have that within the forum template. Maybe just a chat 1-2 times a week to start with where specific topics in mind to discuss is announced in advance? Maybe one chat once a week with a topic announced ahead of time, and one chat once week for anything anyone wants to bring up. I would especially go for this if the chat was open to guests as well.
What do you all think of that? I can ask admin if that is even fessible, depending on your feedback. Answer here, or shoot me a PM.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/100#post_3432657
There is always down times on forums, and this is no exception. You might even expect that more as we go through the holidays, and online fish selling becomes less during the Winter.
I don't think other social media is taking that much away from the forum style of communication because a lot of people are bored with FB too. When I joined SWF AOL was the world's #1 social media. Now where did AOL go, and guess who is still around....
However, I think the traffic of a forum depends a great deal on the quality and energy of its community. Making that work to the benefit of the forum will take sometimes answering the same old boring questions that we have seen millions of times. It will take being kind and forgiving to newbies who may seem clueless to some, but who still need our help, or at least, their tanks need it. It will take us being a bit tolerant of each other and our difference in personalities and communication styles. If we were all the same, this place would really be a big bore. I was going to post the same thing.
I would suggest that all of those with a bit of experience commit to answering at least 3-4 questions posted daily, and, if you can't do that, then at least do it a few times a week. And, if you can't do that, then don't post bitching sessions in here. LOL Increases in activity comes when "the community" is a great place to be, not on how many contests we have, or gimmicks we can come up with. A great forum is a reflection on how much each of us put in to it. We are "the forum" and SWF just provides the template and financial backing for us to be here. The quality of this place falls on all of us. Also, I was thinking along these lines.
I think beefing up good information for SWF guests is a good idea. As I've said, many guests are here every day and come just looking for information needed to start the hobby, identify or cure a disease, etc., etc. I still feel pretty cool after all these years here when I get a PM from a new member who tells me that they have been reading my info posts, got a lot out of it, and ask me if I would mind just helping them out a bit more. Heck no, I don't mind, bring on the ich question one more time!

Now, we have bantered and cut down the chat room question. But, maybe that is something that we can try out, if it is even possible to have that within the forum template. Maybe just a chat 1-2 times a week to start with where specific topics in mind to discuss is announced in advance? Maybe one chat once a week with a topic announced ahead of time, and one chat once week for anything anyone wants to bring up. I would especially go for this if the chat was open to guests as well. I would possibly go for this.
What do you all think of that? I can ask admin if that is even fessible, depending on your feedback. Answer here, or shoot me a PM.

darthtang aw

wait....you mean leave the aquarium and go to other sections? and answer questions no less? you know how mean the other fishkeepers are?
that kind of frightens me.
make you a deal...i will answer one question a day....but you have to point out the search feature on this forum more often.
how about those whining ab out it being slow pick up my other 3 fishkeepers questions.
darth (might answer wrong) Tang

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtang AW http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/100#post_3432668
wait....you mean leave the aquarium and go to other sections? and answer questions no less? you know how mean the other fishkeepers are?
that kind of frightens me.
make you a deal...i will answer one question a day....but you have to point out the search feature on this forum more often.
how about those whining ab out it being slow pick up my other 3 fishkeepers questions.
darth (might answer wrong) Tang
Who said anything about letting you out of the aquarium? Nobody wants to take you from your happy place. I can't imagine you wanting to come out and play.
Kief(won't you be... my neighbor)ers