Why are the forums slowing down so much?

aquaknight

Jea... As for the drama, let's buck up a little bit. Listen to some 5FDP or something then go chillax
As for why the forum is slow, it's just the way most forums go when they they are on the downward sign, and sometimes die. They turn into a question and answer board, which eventually drives out the experience members who eventually tire of the only thing to do on the is help with entry-level questions. You want the brutally honest answer to why this forum is slow? The people with the cool tanks, who shared their cool tanks, have mostly left. People tend go where the "big fish" are. You can't have an active Ferrari forum, with people who only have 308's. You need someone with an Enzo, a couple with 458's, and so on.
The aggressive section is a good example. It's gone from people who mainly shared their tanks and talked about the fish they kept, to a Q&A section. People ask can I kept __fish in __ size tank, or __ fish with __ fish, and never post back or share their tank.
EDIT, wow thinking about it now, the group of us who frequently posted in the aggressive section are all but gone, only me left?....

S

smartorl

Yes, I fondly recall looking forward to the glimpses into Murph's tank. It was probably the most astounding reef I have ever seen. Amazing. The top downs would just leave you studying them over and over because you saw something new each time.
The same with the aggressives as you stated.
Then, you tended to be able to identify the poster by a picture of their tank.

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaKnight http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/60#post_3431491
Jea... As for the drama, let's buck up a little bit. Listen to some 5FDP or something then go chillax
As for why the forum is slow, it's just the way most forums go when they they are on the downward sign, and sometimes die. They turn into a question and answer board, which eventually drives out the experience members who eventually tire of the only thing to do on the is help with entry-level questions. You want the brutally honest answer to why this forum is slow? The people with the cool tanks, who shared
their cool tanks, have mostly left. People tend go where the "big fish" are. You can't have an active Ferrari forum, with people who only have 308's. You need someone with an Enzo, a couple with 458's, and so on.
The aggressive section is a good example. It's gone from people who mainly shared their tanks and talked about the fish they kept, to a Q&A section. People ask can I kept __fish in __ size tank, or __ fish with __ fish, and never post back or share their tank.
EDIT, wow thinking about it now, the group of us who frequently posted in the aggressive section are all but gone, only me left?....
Hey... I'm on the aggressive section too!

luvmyreef

I think it's sad that people have left. I joined this forum due to the fact that I don't have anyone who shares my addiction to saltwater tanks. LOL. Better yet, I don't know anyone around me who has a saltwater tank. Pretty sad I know. I like this place. :) Although, I would like to be able to sell/buy stuff. I have a lot of equipment, etc. I would like to get rid of in the future. Just saying....

snakeblitz33

Yeah, I remember a not-so-long time ago when we had a lot more active members on the board. I'm just trying to get some activity stirred up.

yearofthenick

I used to be very active on the boards. I used to prefer spending Fridays and Saturdays on here communicating with other hobbyists and enthusiasts.
I believe what's changed is that most of the people on here have become one of two things... Either they've become ultra-sensitive, snapping at other people's comments because they took them too seriously, OR they've developed "little man syndrome" in which they have to overpower each other.
I know a group of people who developed friendships on here in 2008 that still continue to this day in another forum. The nature of this group of friends has always been that no one took the other too seriously. Friends tend to joke with each other... that's normal! BUT when that behavior goes to SWF forums, other people get all offended.
DarthTang AW is a perfect example of someone who knows the hobby well but uses the forum for community, sometimes poking fun at others. There are two ways you can respond - 1: laugh alongside him, viewing his comments as witty jokes (because he doesn't intend to hurt you) and responding with something equally as funny. Or 2: Take it personal and fight back needlessly... an act in which no one wins and it spirals out of control. It's all about perspective.
Basically, everyone is too freakin sensitive. That's why I'm not on here much anymore. I've tried to come back but there's usually something that happens causing things to get out of hand and I just don't want to deal with it. I used to come on here more for community... to interact with others. I've already honed my skills with fishkeeping. I know if I have a hobby-related question, I can find it here, but mostly I stay on here for community. I'm not singling out mods or anything, but there are a lot of people who "police" the forums and it's just not fun anymore.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Pretty much my perspective as well, Yearofthenick.
This has turned in to more of a what's wrong with the forums rather than what can be done to improve. Of course, addressing some of the "what's wrong" could go a long way in improving....

snakeblitz33

I agree with that year of thenick and Beth. Some issues do have to come to light before we can change and improve them.

mr. limpid

I've been a member since 2006, in the beginning I was not active, just read the threads and searched alot. Then when I noticed a lot of unanswered threads I started to reply to them. Now I try to be on as often and be more active. All the changes that SWF have made are good, we have to remember one thing SWF is a on-line store selling there goods and need to show a profit. That is the American way of life. So letting us have a board were we can post our opinions (key word) is a luxury not a right. And now I will get down from my soap box.
There two thing I have noticed over the past 5 years being on this site.
1. What Smartori said:
“I think the biggest problem here has been the forum itself. Some days, I am too disgusted with the time it takes to load the heavy graphics and ads. You click on something but because it's still loading and moving, you end up on another page, have to back up and go through it all over again. Half the time when I read a thread and go to reply, the reply option is messed up and I have to reload the page to have a place to reply.”
2. SWF product line and fish: not intended to put SWF down giving costructive criticism
Limited product line, I can't find products that I would like to use. I know ever one has different likes, but this is a on-line store should have a large selection. Just to mention one Amqel alot of people recommend this product SWF does not carry it. And fish they lately do not have wide selection to pick from, just today I was looking at the butterfly section there are only 7 different type available.

I like this form and will contiune to use it as long as SWF lets me. Thank you SWF for this site.

reefraff

I've hung around a bit on a couple other small boards and they have all died way down since the economy tanked. Lot of people have left the hobby the last few years.

michaeltx

a simple look through craiglist and you will see an influx of tanks and equipment for sale. usually in my area there is not a lot of tanks for sale a small one here and there and lately I have 100-225 gallon systems for sale fairly cheap people just getting out of the hobby..
I have always like this site to others because of the sense that we are here to help each other not just to give an opinion and say do this!
The board has changed A LOT the last few years, IMO alot of the changes have been to better the board and our experience This is also the largest store owned board that I have seen on the net.
I like to call this site home instead of the others and have been part of alot of all the other major sites.
Mike

beth

Administrator
Staff member
SWF has actually expanded its products, believe it or not. I remember a time when it only offered live rock, fish and reef packages. No equipment, corals, etc.
The slow down with the forum is a downside, but you can always block the ads. It will load a lot quicker. I find that a lot of websites are getting slower due to ads, more graphics, and even auto-streaming.

meowzer

YUP...they even sell the MP10's 40's and 60's...and at a competitive price too.....Unless I find a used one...I will be buying my next one from here

gemmy

SWF needs to sell aqua vitro. I'm pretty sure a bunch of us would buy it if they sold it.

michaeltx

they have done a lot of upgrades in stock and the boards since Scott got the company there is a bug difference between now and then.
Mike