Why are the forums slowing down so much?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Usually, if a mod sees a thread like that we will move it to the mod forum and then bring it to SWF's attention so it can be dealt with, but also, we usually let the OP know what is going on as well. Looks like it fell by the wayside. Sorry it happened.

snakeblitz33

For weeks, every time I loaded a new page on here I kept getting an "error in script" message. Annoying as heck, but I made some changes to my comp and updated a few things and so far it quit. I don't know if it was my computer, or SWF.com screwing with it. Who knows.
I think that an easy chat function on the site would be great, and wouldn't have to be overmoderated either. With regards to PM's, everyone has to be so dang sneaky with links and information around here, that I feel kind of boxed in.
You know, the more I think about it, that's the term that fits it the best. "Boxed in." No outside links, No outside information, No outside resources, No outside opinions. Can't post links to help hobbyists and even though swf.com doesn't sell half the stuff, we still can't post a link to help a fellow hobbyist have a successful aquarium, so that they might buy something from swf.com in the future.
I've had pretty good customer service experience from swf.com in the past. I'm a happy customer from this website. I would recommend it for a friend, as they say these days. But, I have also heard of horror stories too. So I'm sure it can go both ways. So far, on other forums, I haven't really heard much good about this business or this forum. But, I will stick by it and defend it when I have to. I'm just saying that we need to improve the forums so that swf.com can get new business and we can get new, active members on the boards. What's it going to take?

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431316
You know, the more I think about it, that's the term that fits it the best. "Boxed in." No outside links, No outside information, No outside resources, No outside opinions. Can't post links to help hobbyists and even though swf.com doesn't sell half the stuff, we still can't post a link to help a fellow hobbyist have a successful aquarium, so that they might buy something from swf.com in the future.
How does it feel to be suppressed by, The Man? I think all we're missing now is a rebellion and our own reality t.v. show.

meowzer

You do realize that coming here is voluntary....and FREE......I guess there could be a charge like some other sites.....
I bet 90% of the people here are not customers either..I AM....and you know what....I have ALWAYS received excellent service. Another thing you should know is they have a very small staff.....and the moderators ARE NOT employees.....we do this cause we want to....we get nothing in return except maybe the satisfaction of a "friendly" place to get/give information.....the PM's are now instant, so feel free to send messages to whoever you want with whatever links you choose....WE DO NOT read them......I am sure admin can...BUT I have a feeling they have MUCH better things to do

2quills

FWIW, since I ditched internet explorer and started using google chrome I have had no issues with the site. Pages load quick, even with the adds. Wife says facebook is much faster with it too.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431340
FWIW, since I ditched internet explorer and started using google chrome I have had no issues with the site. Pages load quick, even with the adds. Wife says facebook is much faster with it too.
Maybe this is the reason I have no clue of the issues people report. I have never had an issue (except maybe when I was posting in the future).

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431342
Maybe this is the reason I have no clue of the issues people report. I have never had an issue (except maybe when I was posting in the future).
LOL....I remember that
I use IE again.....I did have to to to firefox when a lot of issues were going on, BUT have been perfectly fine in IE for a long time now....I also downloaded simpleadblock, so I do not have the ad issues

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431347
Agreed, this is how I get around the link issue as well.
I do agree that not be able to cite information from other forums is frustrating and really does hinder knowledge.
There is always the "secret code". One thing I wish I could do is offer posters some of the coupons that my work offers. My work sells limited SW stuff and I recommend this site to my customers (shhhh don't tell anyone).

morgan175

I tried to make an order over the phone and the lady said I had to make an account through the computer. I myself don't like using my card over the computer. If it was not for this forum and the family like atmosphere I would have never placed an order. In the least as other stores do they set me up an account when I call and take the time to take my money!!!!

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan175 http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431383
I tried to make an order over the phone and the lady said I had to make an account through the computer. I myself don't like using my card over the computer. If it was not for this forum and the family like atmosphere I would have never placed an order. In the least as other stores do they set me up an account when I call and take the time to take my money!!!!
LOL....It's an ONLINE SITE.......and specifically says orders can only be placed online.....I know that is a turn off to a lot of people...BUT I buy almost everything online....well except gas and food...LOL
You just have to make sure it's a secure site

snakeblitz33

I know I feel like I am being attacked right now on this site. All I'm trying to do is post some information that I know that has helped me get by for years in the hobby, and 75% of the comments have been negative, telling me that I shouldn't post any articles and that I should leave the forum and post them on a blog and that no one cares etc. etc. I'm getting fed up with it myself. If that's the way certain people treat knowledgeable members on this board who want to share their experiences, then no wonder no one sticks around.
I'm not going to leave the forum because of a handful of people, but I do feel like I am being attacked for wanting to share information with ya'll.

meowzer

You know....just cause someone may not agree with you does not mean you are being attacked.....There are so many different personalities...people with strong opinions too.....
why argue or take a defensive stance when someone is not on the same page as you

travelerjp98

You don't have to use his information. He put it out there to help other, mostly new, hobbyists. I know that I will probably give some links to his articles to make it easier on myself. Of course, then I will add my additional info regarding the person's specific question. I have always done this. For instance, I always provide a link to the "Let's talk about cycling" thread when someone has no idea what cycling is. There are a lot of exceptions to this... BUT Snake put some info out there to better the site and make it easier on us.
And... I wanna reply to what meowzer said.... but she's not allowing me too... so... better not get on her nasty side. LOL...

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///t/388778/why-are-the-forums-slowing-down-so-much/40#post_3431402
You know....just cause someone may not agree with you does not mean you are being attacked.....There are so many different personalities...people with strong opinions too.....
why argue or take a defensive stance when someone is not on the same page as you

I understand that not agreeing and giving a strong opinion are not the same as being attacked. But, when I feel like I need to defend myself, I will. The only thing this whole ordeal has taught me is to keep my head down and shut up. I believe that's the same thing that has happened to quite a few members on this forum. You know who you are.

S

smartorl

First, does this belong here?
Second, please do not misrepresent what I said. I never said to leave the forum and blog. Typically, when people chronical things in depth, they do this in a blog. This is nothing new. This is the most common use of a blog. There are scores of blog writers related to our hobby from seahorses, to clownfish, to corals and the are usually very interesting to read when you have hands on type questions. Why you find the suggestion of a blog to be so repugnant is beyond me. Blogs tend to be the hands on chronicals of ones personal experiences. They are not terribly interactive. This sounds like a better medium for what you proposed, so shoot me.
Then if someone has a question, you could link to your blog.
The posturing and rumbling anytime anyone has the audacity to disagree grows old. Even so, you obviously have knowledge and we are all here to gain it from others experiences. Just sometimes, it's nice to be able to gain that knowledge without feeling like you are beaten over the head with it.
I don't see you as ganged up on, I see that you asked for an opinion and are upset it isn't what you wanted to hear. It happens. As you seem to be hellbent on writing your articles, I wonder why you asked for opinions at all?
I don't dislike you, I really don't know you well enough to feel either way. I tend to be more of a lurker and saw a few threads where things got tense over disagreements that really were not disagreements and don't want to see these articles turn out the same way. I also saw someone ask a direct question in your thread that was completely ignored. At that point in the game, I also thought it was more of a "ask me a question adventure" so I was confused.
In life sometimes it's easy to take yourself too seriously, sometimes you have to sit back and look at things from another perspective to see where others are coming from. If you want to do your articles, knock yourself out, nobody is going to stop you so why keep arguing?