Wild caught snake ID?

aw2x3

Found this little guy, at a local bar, last night.
My girlfriend is a bartender and we wanted to go out, last night...but, she wanted a change of scenery. We show up at one place and there are some guys gathered around, laughing and screaming...I happen to see that they have two baby snakes. They're burning them with cigarettes and laughing about it.
One, they had already burned to dead and after some "negotiation", I got the second one away from them, unharmed.
I've personally never seen a snake this small before and I'm wandering what on earth something this small would eat.
And yes...that is a dime. lol

lovethesea

sooo.....the snake guy doesn't know what it is????

Now, I do NOT like snakes, but I certainly don't like the fact that people were burning one to death

nw2salt08

It's a Northern Brown snake. If it were a midland brown, there would be a lighter stripe down the center with the spots running along the sides and forming lines. He looks like he hasn't been too worse for the wear. Thankfully!
They mature at anywhere from 9-13 inches in length and is nonpoisonous and doesn't bite. Habitats include hardwood forests, mixed hardwood-pine forests, pine woods, grasslands, early stages of abandoned agricultural areas, woodlands and urban areas. They tend to hibernate in ant mounds or rodent burrows.
They feed on earthworms,slugs, spiders and (rarely) small amphibians. They also consume small fish and insects.
Hope this helps! He's a cute little one!

aw2x3

Thanks for the help, guys. With as small as he is, I'm torn between keeping him and letting him go.

nw2salt08

I'm sure you'll do the right thing for him. I know that if you keep him then he'll be in the best of care. You're great with your snakes. Either way, he was lucky that you showed up at that bar.

keri

They burned the other one to death with cigarettes? That makes me SICK. People who will do that are really screwed up... Good luck with the little one, I can't ID it.

crypt keeper

people can take this internet tough guy talk. Im a decent sized guy. Id a thrown some punches. I hate people. I hate people in general. We are destroying this place and everything that comes with it.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Keri
http:///forum/post/3131550
They burned the other one to death with cigarettes? That makes me SICK. People who will do that are really screwed up... Good luck with the little one, I can't ID it.
That makes me sick too...no secret I am not a snake lover....I have had to kill a copperhead and a rattler before (sorry snake lovers)....but not by torture....

reefraff

Sounds like something I would turn lose in the yard and hope it hangs around. I am no snake fan either but the small harmless ones are usually good to have around.

aw2x3

Got it IDed, definately, as Storeria dekayi.
I'll most likely let him go, outside of town. He's just way too small for me to feel confortable taking care of, especially since I've been told that they eat only certain insects, etc.
When I said some "negotiation", that was a polite way of putting it...the majority of the words I used, could not be repeated here. lol

alyssia

AW2x3, I have to say that I really respect the way you take care of these reptiles. I'm not a snake person either, I don't mind the garters, but whenever I see a bigger one out in the yard I am sure I look like this

You seem very knowledgeable and seem to take excellent care of your snakes. That is to be commended because not a whole lotta people like snakes.

aw2x3

Eh...I love my snakes...even the Cobras. It's not really a hassle. I cleaned cages, changed water and fed whoever needed to be fed, today.
This new, 10' (wild caught, come to find out) male Retic still isn't too into me, right now. He likes to wait till I think he's calm and am holding him and then he'll strike at my face. Up until a few days ago, he was perfectly fine. I think he just likes making me crap myself.
He has two layers of old shed on him, I'm trying to get off. I soaked him, in the tub, for over an hour, today and started peeling him. I almost got it all off. While he was in the tub, I changed his water, hosed his cage down with bleach and changed the newspaper. He was back in his newly cleaned cage for less than 10 min before taking a huge crap in it. Then, just sat and stared at me, when I cussed him out. He was all coiled up, strike position, as if to say..."haha...surprise! Now come clean my cage, again, while I try to bite you!"
Heather and I were watching that show, on TLC, called "The Lottery Changed My Life" and we started talking about what we'd get.
After the house and family and blah blah blah, I was like, I'd get this snake and this snake and this snake and started naming off all of these $10,000+ snakes. lol

aw2x3

Not really unhealthy, no. It's mainly caused be inadequate humidity, in their enclosures. When mine don't shed properly, I immediately pull them, soak them and peel them.
When one or more layers of shed are built up, it's a common sign of poor husbandry.

reefkprz

and then there is the herps nightmare.... mites. effing mites.
ever try and treat mites on a head shy python with a tendancy to bite first ask later. fun fun fun.

aw2x3

I've actually never had a snake, with mites...even the rescues I've taken in. I'm very lucky, I guess.
One of the very first things I do, when I get snakes, is to start working on the head shy problem (if there is one). Even if I'm going to get bitten, I'll hold them down and touch their heads, mouth, eyes, etc and do so, until they're not head shy anymore.
All of my snakes (even the new baby Retics) are no longer head shy.

t316

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/3132981
and then there is the herps nightmare.... mites. effing mites.
ever try and treat mites on a head shy python with a tendancy to bite first ask later. fun fun fun.
I only ran into that once, and I bought the spray....worked instantly and never saw them again