Will 440W of VHO lighting be .... Vote Please!

eugenez_21

1.yes
2. No
Will 440W of VHO lighting be enough for inverts rated as " need high lighting".
My Tank is a 75g the depht is 18". The setup is a PFO retro kit 4 bulbs. 3 bulbs will be Actinic White(12,000k)and 1 will be a Super Actinic (100% blub). I would like to know if i would need stronger ones, then by how much more watts

jlem

An 18 inch tank is pretty shallow so it should be just fine for just about anything. When you buy bulbs you may want to get Coralife bulbs instead of URI brand. The coralife bulbs are more crisp white while the URI bulbs are really pink.

scsinet

I kept softies, LPS, and anemones under this exact setup on a 55g with no issues. Your tank is a little deeper (front to back) than the 55, but it should still be okay. I did not keep SPS or clams, but it's because I just didn't, not that I thought I couldn't.

eugenez_21

still kinda green in this hobby but whats SPS heard it hear and there and also whats does FLOWER tank mean . So everybody is giving me the green light ?

ibew

personally I think T5s are better than vhos if your not going with halides for many reasons

wangotango

i had 330w of VHO on my 55 and i had lps and a crocea clam. the only sps i had was a monti cap. all of which did very well, but i upgraded to T5.
-Justin

ibew

T5s are defentily IMO better then VHO which are T12. Only if you purchase the right T5 fixture. It will be very inexpensive to run and maintaine and you will be able to keep just about anything if the tank isn't to deep

eugenez_21

while i was looking through all the lights i dont think i could of got 440W out of t-5 for only $272 (bulbs included)

ibew

440 watts of T5s would problably burn a whole in your sandbed no seriously one T12 vho 110 watt lamps is equal to one T5 Ho 54 watt lamp

ibew

outer diameter of a T12 is 1-1/2 inches thick compared to T5 which are 5/8 OD thick so you can fit more under one given fixture then you can T12s. Just alittle info not trying to convince you to buy them. Its your choice but for the little more you would spend for a good quality T5 setup not a poor decision

ibew

Originally Posted by eugenez_21
so are u saying that a 54W T-5 is the same as a 110W URI VHO
so 54W is the same as 110W im confused here
yes when driven by a proper ballast a 54 watt T5 lamp is almost equal to a 110 watt T12 vho uri lamp. Also T5 lamps last considerbly longer then T12 lamps which cuts down cost and is much cheaper on the electric bill. Over all a better choice. Don't try to get the most watts for your money instead try to get the most par, lumens for your buck