will clowns host this?

asharp13

will clown host the pink tip anemone on SWF's value menu? does anyone have any experience? also, is this an aggresive anemone will it kill my corlas?

meowzer

I belive it is a pink haitian tip...I do not think they are natural hosts for clowns....I also believe I have read they get large, and may eventually eat smaller fish

soviettaco

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3135941
I belive it is a pink haitian tip...I do not think they are natural hosts for clowns....I also believe I have read they get large, and may eventually eat smaller fish
aren't bubble tips considered the best anemone for clowns?

mikecurrin

I was told the BTA was the best, however I have had mine in the tank for about a week now, and it still will not come out of the rocks let alone host a clown. But my clowns are young and tank raised, dont know if that makes a differance?

btldreef

Clowns will not host a Pink Tip Haitian Anemone. I bought one because I thought it was pretty, WHAT A MISTAKE!!!
They get large quickly and are aggressive. I finally threw mine in the garbage
I've heard Bubble Tips are the best, and have had success with them. My clowns are currently beating up my Rose Bubble Tip.
My clowns were tank bred/raised and would not take to the bubble tips in the beginning so my husband chased them into the anemones with a fish net (they have great respect for the fish net) and they've never left.

asharp13

awsome ill look into the bubble tip thx
are they aggresive? do they grow fast. i have a small 24g and dont want thic taking over my tank
thought???

btldreef

my bubble tips did move around the tank for the first few days, but once they found a spot they liked, they stayed there and never stung any of my corals. I think there's a risk with any anemone being semi-aggressive, but from what I've been told the bubble tips are one of the less aggressive ones and that's my experience with them as well. Bubble tips are known to split readily in a home aquarium but I haven't seen mine do it yet, and haven't noticed them growing really big either. I think the fish beating it up probably has a lot to do with the growth rate.

mr. limpid

I had a pecula clown and a haitian that I bought together at a LFS, it was already hosting. It grew very large had him in a 20gal long took over half my tank and was sting my coral, gave it away. The best solution to tank raised clowns is to buy the anemone and clown together that is already hosting. The problem with tank raised clowns they never learned hoisting before and by chance they might do it. Another problem with anemone's is that they move and will sting anything the can reach. I believe anemone's should be considered not reef safe.

btldreef

Once in a blue moon they'll host a pink haitian, but they grow so quick and are considered one of the more aggressive anemones so I really don't recommend it. All anemones are "reef safe with caution" but this too can be said about most corals if they're placed too close together. Since we moved to a bigger tank our RBTA hasn't moved at all but the GBT are on the move quite a bit, still no corals have been stung.
Do you want an anemone or were you just considering one because SWF has the haitian for sale? If you really want to try one, try the bubble tip. And like I said, ours would not host at first but we chased them into it and they've never left.

asharp13

ya kno i like anemones a lot becasue they seem to be more "alive" than corals. specifically id like one to host a pair of clowns...clowns are the real goal. i was asking about the haitan becasue they look cool and are very cheap at SWF. i just want to make my clowns happy once i get them...hopefully happy enough to breed!!!!
sidenote: is there any advice you guys have as where to place an anemone in the tank so that it is and wont move...i know they are animals and are alive and will do what they will but there has to be a way to make them happy from the jump...any advice?
and, are there anemones that only grow to be 2-3" that will make a clown happy?

btldreef

Originally Posted by Mikecurrin
http:///forum/post/3136912
Did you have to keep them on it for a while or did it just take a running into it?
they pretty much took to it. It was there "Oh wow, there's an anemone here" moment. We have issues with our male biting us every time our hands are in the tank so we've trained him to be afraid of the fish net, used that to chase him right into it and the female followed shortly after.

btldreef

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3136959
ya kno i like anemones a lot becasue they seem to be more "alive" than corals. specifically id like one to host a pair of clowns...clowns are the real goal. i was asking about the haitan becasue they look cool and are very cheap at SWF. i just want to make my clowns happy once i get them...hopefully happy enough to breed!!!!
sidenote: is there any advice you guys have as where to place an anemone in the tank so that it is and wont move...i know they are animals and are alive and will do what they will but there has to be a way to make them happy from the jump...any advice?
and, are there anemones that only grow to be 2-3" that will make a clown happy?
you can't stop an anemone from moving, I have tried EVERYTHING to get mine not to move and actually, as soon as I gave up, they found a place they liked and stayed there. Bubble Tips are smaller, I would go with a Bubble Tip or a Sebae, much shorter tentacles and all that...

mikecurrin

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3137065
they pretty much took to it. It was there "Oh wow, there's an anemone here" moment. We have issues with our male biting us every time our hands are in the tank so we've trained him to be afraid of the fish net, used that to chase him right into it and the female followed shortly after.
I have one that bites at me when I put my hand in the tank as well but mine are still young so unsure who is what. I will try to run mine into it tonight!!

btldreef

Originally Posted by Mikecurrin
http:///forum/post/3137284
I have one that bites at me when I put my hand in the tank as well but mine are still young so unsure who is what. I will try to run mine into it tonight!!
HAHA! Good luck. Mine are very young as well, they just turned a year old the other day, but the male is slightly bigger. We knew he was the male before he got bigger because he was more aggressive and very protective over the other one. The one that's biting you is probably the male. I hope yours aren't as mean as mine are, my male is a devil

youpey

one thing that surprisingly works when trying to get a clown to host in an anemone, let the anemone get settled to the point that it plants its foot. wait for night time (or if you can get your tank in complete darkness.)
it must be completely dark, if you have moon lights on your hood, unplug them. you want it completely dark. wait 15 to 20 minutes. from there use a flashlight or the light from the cell phone and light up the anemone so it is the only thing with light. within 15 minutes the clown should go to the anemone and begin hosting with it. (that is if it will host). after it hosts keep it lit for another 5 minutes, then you can turn the lights back on as you please, they should continue to host it.
i had a tiny bubble tip anemone and i got my clown to host in it, even though the clown was slightly bigger then it by using this method. the clown paid it no mind for weeks. within minutes of doing this, it began hosting it

mikecurrin

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3137820
any luck?
Well sorry to have forgotten about this thread, so far I have been trying to catch them and place the net over the anemone, but with nothing going on, But in the fishes defense, the anemone is in a crazy spot, out of sight of the lighting, cant get it to stay out in front
I will try the light trick tonight to see what happens.