Will the world end in 2012?

ino

I don't know how many of you have seen the history channel show about apocalyptic predictions from all over the world point to 2012 as the end of the world, but either way, isn't it some coincidence that at least four major predictions point to this year? Of course, I believe that people can twist things to make them say anything they want.
Personally, I am an unabashed Christian and believe that, while we can interpret as much as we want to, there really is no way to predict precisely when the world will "end", so to speak. I'm not trying to make it a religious discussion, but oftentimes it is difficult to keep such things out of apocalyptic discussions.
The reason I wonder is that, if the world IS going to end in four years, I'd like to make sure that I savor the last years. After all, if the world ends and I've still got money in the bank, what a waste! ;-)
Wait...what happens to my reef tank if the world ends???? =(

pontius

Originally Posted by Ino
The reason I wonder is that, if the world IS going to end in four years, I'd like to make sure that I savor the last years.
you need to savor EVERYDAY, whether the world lasts 4 more years or 4 billion more years.
but yeah, I've seen the History Channel. I think the Mayan Calender, Edgar Cayce, and maybe Nostrodamus all said 2012.
but I also think I've seen 2010, 2025, and 2032 as other predictions. the fact is, no one knows. if world events continue as they are, it wouldn't be surprising.

lion_crazz

This is an interesting topic. There is a lot of discussion on it, scientifically and religiously.
The Mayan's long count calendar ends its fourth cycle on December 21, 2012. Supposedly, the fifth cycle will begin and it will not include humans. The Native Americans also believe it will end in 2012, as does the Bible Code.
My problem is that it seems that every civilization seems to be fascinated with its own demise. People thought the world would end in 1980, and then it was supposed to be 2000, and then 2001. I think 2012 will just be another theory. People like to theorize. There is even talk that the American "empire" is going to fall (because hey, even the Roman empire fell).

groupergenius

The world will end...how do you prep for that?
Live each day like it's the last. Love your peeps and keep your head up.

lesleybird

They have been predicting the end of the world since the beginning of time and have not been right yet. Maybe the humans and the creatures might end way before the world (our planet), comes to an end. Lesley

ino

You only have to be right once, though. Of course, you all are right that we should savor every day. Human obsession with death is a part of our nature. Our recognition of mortality is one of the things that sets us apart from most carefree animals. But I believe that this is what our obsession SHOULD bring us: acceptance and appreciation. If we were immortal, or had billions of years left, what incentive would there be to live at all?

pontius

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
My problem is that it seems that every civilization seems to be fascinated with its own demise.
it is because the end is "unknown", that's what fascinates. human beings have so much control of the world around us, "the end" is one thing that we don't have a lot of control over.
that was really the only thing (and I mean the ONLY thing) interesting about the movie "Armageddon". think about it, there's a rock the size of Texas flying at us. and if there were, there'd be absolutely nothing to do but watch our own demise slowly coming at us from space (no, Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck couldn't save us). well, there IS a giant rock heading for us. it may not actually BE a rock....it may be a bomb, or a plague, or a super volano, or whatever. but the end is slowly heading our way, no matter what it is. and that unknown is what drives people crazy.

squishy

Sorry have to put my two cents in on this..

This is to scare you to buy that car, To spend your money and to max out your credit cards. There have been many predictions on when the world will end and how the world will end. Some say when the eagle flys and bear rises the end will fall. Some say ahhh well someone always says something. Anyways if the world is going to end who cares. There is really nothing anyone can do about it. So embrace life so when the end comes you can look back and say man that was fun.
Sorry had to throw that in.

t316

If you are a Christian, the Bible states that no man knows the day, nor the hour. Thus this is a mute point for us. These date predictions are just amusement for us to watch the athiest and non-believers once again fail. If anything, a prediction such as this just tells me...well this definately is NOT the day.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by T316
If you are a Christian, the Bible states that no man knows the day, nor the hour. Thus this is a mute point for us. These date predictions are just amusement for us to watch the athiest and non-believers once again fail. If anything, a prediction such as this just tells me...well this definately is NOT the day.

You are indeed correct. Matthew 24:36.
"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."

t316

Originally Posted by Squishy
Sorry have to put my two cents in on this..

This is to scare you to buy that car, To spend your money and to max out your credit cards. There have been many predictions on when the world will end and how the world will end. Some say when the eagle flys and bear rises the end will fall. Some say ahhh well someone always says something. Anyways if the world is going to end who cares. There is really nothing anyone can do about it. So embrace life so when the end comes you can look back and say man that was fun.
Sorry had to throw that in.

That reminds me of a quote I read once in a book. Sorry, can't remember the source or exact words, but it goes something like this...
...death is not about arriving at the grave, well groomed, properly mannered, and having lived the respectful life,......but rather sliding in sideways, on one leg, out of breath and loudly proclaiming... "WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"

ric maniac

Lol my spanish teacher was talking about the mayans. Its the end of this CREATION not the world, for all we know an iguana might die on a rock somewhere in hawaii in 2012. And how the hell could someone predict that? I mean seriously?

1journeyman

In addition, however, the Bible does give a fairly descriptive list of events that will come to pass before "the end"...
If you believe the Bible it appears biblically the next event will be the Battle of Gog and Magog in the Middle East.

t316

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
You are indeed correct. Matthew 24:36.
"But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone."
Thanks Lion, I was 100% certain it was there, but did not want to get into a religious war trying to find it.

lovethesea

live each day as if it is your last. Say good bye as you mean it. Everytime!!
Even if you leave to go to the store. Because that is how a friend of ours life changed forever!!

t316

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
In addition, however, the Bible does give a fairly descriptive list of events that will come to pass before "the end"...
If you believe the Bible it appears biblically the next event will be the Battle of Gog and Magog in the Middle East.
True...but if you take the Book of Revelations to heart, word for word, all of the events have already taken place, the wars, etc. But close disection does imply that the Middle East is where it all boils down to. I guess that's why we protect Israel so much. Personnally, I don't care. I know where I'm going....hope my fish end up there too

beenbag497

EXACTLY

beenbag497

True...but if you take the Book of Revelations to heart, word for word, all of the events have already taken place, the wars, etc. But close disection does imply that the Middle East is where it all boils down to. I guess that's why we protect Israel so much. Personnally, I don't care. I know where I'm going....hope my fish end up there too

well one of the only things that hasnt happened is the temple being rebuilt