Will the world end in 2012?

stdreb27

lol what in the round world am I doing arguing about hebrew translation of the old testiment on a fish forum. You just got the extent of my understanding of the hebrew language

rylan1

Originally Posted by ruaround
and like i said before... maybe they spelled dog "c" "a" "t"... i love this whole lost in translation arguement it seems to fit in just as someome says "well that doesnt say that at all" or "how do you get that out of that"...
i may be wrong but i thought ther was a hebrew word for sphere... klug or chug of chlug or something of that nature...
Are you serious?
I think my explanination couldn't be any clearer for you.. so you just are a skeptic....

ruaround

Originally Posted by Rylan1
Are you serious?
I think my explanination couldn't be any clearer for you.. so you just are a skeptic....
yup everytime i say circle i mean a myriagon... so it totally makes sense!!! and when i say i am on something i mean that i am hopping on one foot patting my head and rubbing my tummy...

crashbandicoot

yup everytime i say circle i mean a myriagon... so it totally makes sense!!! and when i say i am on something i mean that i am hopping on one foot patting my head and rubbing my tummy...

You are just Mrs. Interpreting what has been writen in a million bibles.

ino

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
believing in a higher power is a good thing , But to not seek it through every avalible source is to blind your self and limit your ability.
Couldn't agree with you more. Which is why we should all keep searching. And I'm glad you are asking questions, Crash. Questions are the best way to find the answer. Just be sure that you aren't questioning just for the sake of asking an unanswerable question. I used to do that a lot. When people couldn't answer me straight, I took it as proof that they were wrong. Then I realized that I was asking the wrong questions. All the wrong questions.
It's difficult to take pieces of the bible and argue it from a "scientific" standpoint. When I say "scientific," I do not mean science as the absolute truth that we humans have discovered through experimentation. I mean the "science" that was conducted with the goal of proving there is no Creator or any such thing. Evolution? Something live coming from non-life? Pasteur proved this to be folly. But this is not the point. When you assume a Creator (which NO ONE should do absolutely, only for the sake of discovering the possibility) then everything begins to fall into place, as far as creation goes. There are still questions about humans and such, which are indeed answered in the bible if one assumes, simply for sake of argument, that it is true. The so-called contradictions in the bible fall away in context, which I didn't believe at first.
It's such an amazing concept, and for many, and especially for me at first, it seemed silly, much like a fairy tale. But it was the connection with God himself that really won me over. The things that began to happen in my life. Impossible things. Perhaps I'll tell you about them later, if you're interested? For now, I've got lots to do, and I'm procrastinating by being on here.
Later.

salty blues

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Actually the bible in the OT refered to the planet as being a sphere, and orbiting the sun. Just got overlooked by scientists of that time.
Not slamming here, but I am seriously very curious if you have the specific scripture for this.

ruaround

Originally Posted by salty blues
Not slamming here, but I am seriously very curious if you have the specific scripture for this.
this is the third time its been asked... someone will bring up some quote from the bible that has the word "circle" in it and say that it means sphere...

rylan1

this is the third time its been asked... someone will bring up some quote from the bible that has the word "circle" in it and say that it means sphere...
What does it mean then?

clown boy

I haven't read through this whole thread, but I thought I'd say this:
Did you now that a TON of people were absolutely positive that the world was going to end in 2006?

ino

People are 'absolutely positive' the world's gonna end every day... honestly, I don't think it will end then, but I believe you can never be sure that it's not. I just wanted to spark a discussion, and it looks as if I've succeeded.
P.S. Clown Boy, I don't blame you. It would take forever if you hadn't been following us from the beginning.

zeke92

i don't know if you have a dad that reads every book in the world. but he was telling me about religous people, and other apocalyptic prediciton type things, and about years that the world will end and god will come back.
every time something happens, like an alignment of plantets, a millenium, something rare, they think something will happen.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Rylan1
What does it mean then?
i already know what a circle, circut, compass or ring is... and i know that it is not a sphere...
why is it that when proof for specifics is asked one cant show a translation that isnt full of vaguery... if you say that sphere has always been in the bible i want to see the word sphere...
"upon the circle of the Earth"... to me this means the circle of life... day to day... as the heavens circle the earth... revolve... go around...

ino

Now who's the one making assumptions and implications, runaround? I'm usually not one to do this, but it seems you are being hypocritical. I want to see the word 'revolve' my friend.

S

swalchemist

Interesting has anyone questioned how an ancient people grounded to reality and the earth could have seen the "circle of the earth" if it were indeed a sphere they made reference to? Just a question to ponder.

ino

Absolutely. If we assume validity for sake of argument, then it becomes clear that very little of the things in the bible could have been figured out by these guys alone. "All Scripture is God-breathed, and is useful for teaching, rebuking," etc. And by "God-breathed," I don't care what you guys say, it means that it was inspired by God. It doesn't mean literal breath. If you assume literal all the time, then no, the bible doesn't make sense. Neither do 90% of all euphemisms, jokes, sayings, etc.
Just a preemptive strike there, lol. And, no, that doesn't make the bible a joke, either. What that means is, these people DID add their own flavor to the text. They used their own types of descriptions, comparisons, words, etc. which were a part of their culture. Just like a rap artist and a housewife are going to add their own flavor to their testimony, so do these people.

rylan1

http:///forum/post/2448822
i already know what a circle, circut, compass or ring is... and i know that it is not a sphere...
why is it that when proof for specifics is asked one cant show a translation that isnt full of vaguery... if you say that sphere has always been in the bible i want to see the word sphere...
"upon the circle of the Earth"... to me this means the circle of life... day to day... as the heavens circle the earth... revolve... go around...
You are reading too much into it. I don't think this scripture is meant to be a metaphor. The Bible needs to be read carefully because some things are figurative and others are metaphors.
But I think people need to give ancient people more credit given the knowledge we have known them to posses and the things they built.

ruaround

Originally Posted by Ino
http:///forum/post/2449149
Now who's the one making assumptions and implications, runaround? I'm usually not one to do this, but it seems you are being hypocritical. I want to see the word 'revolve' my friend.
thats simple... to circle is to revolve its a freakin synonym... as in orbit...