Will the world end in 2012?

crashbandicoot

now when you use the term " OT " . Are we talking about the original trilogy of star wars ? You know episodes 3,4,5 ? Luke Skywalk is a jedi not a god you silly kids . . . . .

flricordia

And here is a stranger one yet. Everything in existance is made or atoms that bind together to form molecules that bind together to form matter. What holds these bonds together. I am basically the same as dirt in molecular form, so what keeps my molecules from binding with those of dirt or even you? ORDER. Something keeps the molecules from becoming chaotic and bonding together to form one big glump of matter.
Possibly everything in existance is GOD. Maybe God is everything whether rock, human, fish, dirt, maybe GOD is all the atoms in existance and formed as it should be and though we question why this person kills this person and robs this person, and though it matters greatly to us that this sort of thing happens while in this state of reality, it is still within the care of what everything is in existance and though it seems chaotic it is still under order.
Could we all and everything in existance be a part of God and just given the ability to experiance in a finite span of order a chance to look upon what God can do including the ability to choose to do with what has been given?
Colossians 1:15,16,17- He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.

ruaround

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Actually the bible in the OT refered to the planet as being a sphere, and orbiting the sun. Just got overlooked by scientists of that time.
no i think you mean that the earth is flat and the spherical sun and moon orbit the earth...

darknes

Originally Posted by Flricordia
And here is a stranger one yet. Everything in existance is made or atoms that bind together to form molecules that bind together to form matter. What holds these bonds together. I am basically the same as dirt in molecular form, so what keeps my molecules from binding with those of dirt or even you? ORDER. Something keeps the molecules from becoming chaotic and bonding together to form one big glump of matter.
It gets even stranger the further you go. Everything is made of atoms, which are 99.9999% nothing. If you blew an atom up the size of the earth, the amount of material would fit in your hand! Then, atoms are made of protons, neutrons and electrons. Everything is made of these same 3 things! And these break down further into quarks. We don't know what comprises quarks, but there's many theories that they are made of energy waves. And we all know energy is really nothing concrete! If this is true, everything in existance is made of energy, which is nothing!
It would be my religious belief that this "invisible" energy is god. Goes so well with your final quote!

crashbandicoot

Actually the bible in the OT refered to the planet as being a sphere, and orbiting the sun. Just got overlooked by scientists of that time.

Please do explain where I might find this in the bible because I would surely love to see it .

darknes

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
Please do explain where I might find this in the bible because I would surely love to see it .
Isaiah 40:22
"It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the Earth"
Psalm 19:4-6
"Their line is gone out through all the Earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun, whichh is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."
Job 26:7
"He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the Earth upon nothing"

ruaround

Originally Posted by Darknes
Psalm 19:4-6
"Their line is gone out through all the Earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the Sun, whichh is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race. His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof."
a circle is not a sphere... and there isnt anything in that psalm that says anything of spherical nor orbiting the sun...

darknes

Originally Posted by ruaround
a circle is not a sphere... and there isnt anything in that psalm that says anything of spherical nor orbiting the sun...
It's all in translation...many things are lost in translation. Maybe at the time they used the same word for circle and sphere, I'm not an expert. You can read it however you want.
And I'm not insisting it means a sphere, I was merely pointing out the verses.
If you understand Psalms, it's written poetically. But the last two lines imply a circuit the earth takes, and that it rotates so that all sides see the heat of the sun.

ruaround

It's all in translation...many things are lost in translation. Maybe at the time they used the same word for circle and sphere, I'm not an expert. You can read it however you want.
And I'm not insisting it means a sphere, I was merely pointing out the verses.
If you understand Psalms, it's written poetically. But the last two lines imply a circuit the earth takes, and that it rotates so that all sides see the heat of the sun.
and maybe they spelled dog "c" "a" "t"...
i understand what a psalm is... and the last line to me is refering to the warmth of god and/or just god... not to the sun...

darknes

Originally Posted by ruaround
and maybe they spelled dog "c" "a" "t"...
i understand what a psalm is... and the last line to me is refering to the warmth of god and/or just god... not to the sun...
I'm not saying that's what it means, I was merely throwing out the lines that the poster was probably referring to in the Bible. Personally, I could care less whether the bible says the earth is flat or round, I'm going to believe what I believe. I feel science and religion complement each other, and could care less what others want to jab at in the bible.
I'm not being rude or trying to start an arguement, I am only explaining that I posted the quotes that are generally referred to on this topic, and you can read it however you want.

ruaround

I'm not saying that's what it means, I was merely throwing out the lines that the poster was probably referring to in the Bible. Personally, I could care less whether the bible says the earth is flat or round, I'm going to believe what I believe. I feel science and religion complement each other, and could care less what others want to jab at in the bible.
I'm not being rude or trying to start an arguement, I am only explaining that I posted the quotes that are generally referred to on this topic, and you can read it however you want.
didnt take it as you being rude... i wasnt trying to be rude either just telling you that i dont see the question being answered in thos passages...
but streb said that there the bible says the earth is a sphere... everything that i have heard/read states a flat earth... i am saying one can take passages from the bible and get whatever one wants out of them just like a quatrain of nostradamus...

ino

No need for an argument. I'm sure there's something in that wonderful book about someone who argues with fools? Not that I'm calling anyone that.... ;-)
But, seriously, translation in the Bible is everything. You DO have to realize that it's another language. It's going to have some words that just don't translate quite right. Much like several Spanish sayings that make no sense to us.

stdreb27

The hebrews had no exact word for sphere but that scripture refering to the "circle" of the earth was one scripture I was thinking of.
Especially considering that the same adjective was used to descripe the shape of some brass pots in some temple, I don't remember which one.

crashbandicoot

The hebrews had no exact word for sphere but that scripture refering to the "circle" of the earth was one scripture I was thinking of.
Especially considering that the same adjective was used to descripe the shape of some brass pots in some temple, I don't remember which one.

So a brass pot and the planet earth are described by the same word ? This should show how inacurate that the words in the bible can be and how broad of a meaning the can convay. If the hebrewsdidnt have a word for planet or sphere than whos to say they didnt have a word for alien life form and the best they could come up with is god ?
So a circle of earth means the planet . It cant mean a rock a boulder a plot of land that is circular posibly a smalll island ?

It's all in translation...many things are lost in translation.
Many things can also be gained in translation . A story that is left to be translated leaves many details to be filled in by the story teller . No story is ever told the same way by two different people . The old saying goes there are three sides to every story . Your's mine and the truth.
Originally Posted by Ino

No need for an argument. I'm sure there's something in that wonderful book about someone who argues with fools? Not that I'm calling anyone that.... ;-)
There is no argument here just people not agreeing on things . So to be honest there is no reason to NOT call anybody anything . . . ;-) foolish as it maybe I have questions and if the answers I get are not right for me then I will not change my opinions , No matter what the bible says .

stdreb27

So a brass pot and the planet earth are described by the same word ? This should show how inacurate that the words in the bible can be and how broad of a meaning the can convay. If the hebrewsdidnt have a word for planet or sphere than whos to say they didnt have a word for alien life form and the best they could come up with is god ?
The shape is. Just like I can describe a baseball a sphere and the planet a sphere. I'm not in any way saying that it is the "end of discussion" proof. I'm just saying, it is entirely possible that... There are plenty of other references that require just as much a leap to conclude that the bible says the earth is not only flat but square.

stdreb27

You know what is really interesting, and I don't remember his name, but some ancient scientist from in africa I think was looking down his well, and the thought occured to him, you know if the earth was flat at noon I should be able to look down this well and see the bottom. So he went down at noon that day and sure enough he couldn't see the bottom. So he measured how much he could see, then paid someone to go from one city to the next. And see how deep that person could see down the well. And made him count the steps back to his well, then did the math and came up with the earth being a sphere and 30,000 miles around. It is an interesting observation for someone who had to measure distance by counting his steps.

rylan1

So a circle of earth means the planet . It cant mean a rock a boulder a plot of land that is circular posibly a smalll island ?
Many things can also be gained in translation . A story that is left to be translated leaves many details to be filled in by the story teller . No story is ever told the same way by two different people . The old saying goes there are three sides to every story . Your's mine and the truth.
There is no argument here just people not agreeing on things . So to be honest there is no reason to NOT call anybody anything . . . ;-) foolish as it maybe I have questions and if the answers I get are not right for me then I will not change my opinions , No matter what the bible says .
I bet you find your answer if you go back to the Torah in Hebrew and look at the word. I would almost guarantee that the word in question "Circle" could be translated to mean Sphere. The problem with the KJ Version is that some of the words used are sometimes mistranslated and are not in there proper context.
For example... I could say... "Crashbandit you need to chill out"
If researchers from 2500ad came back and looked at those words the could come up with a different meaning which could be
1.You are physically hot and need to cool off.
2. You need to relax with your comments or actions.
Point is that I encourage everyone to read the Bible. Once you have and are familar with it, you should continue to study it by looking deeper into it, which would require you to have a mediterranian view or culture and perhaps look to new translations that are more accurate to our language. When translating something.... words are translated to their most common meaning, but in fact are not always 100% accurate to the orginal message (word).

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by Rylan1
I bet you find your answer if you go back to the Torah in Hebrew and look at the word. I would almost guarantee that the word in question "Circle" could be translated to mean Sphere. The problem with the KJ Version is that some of the words used are sometimes mistranslated and are not in there proper context.
Key words that you and everybody else keeps use are MISTRANSLATED and TRANSLATION .
Originally Posted by Rylan1

that I encourage everyone to read the Bible. Once you have and are familar with it, you should continue to study it by looking deeper into it, which would require you to have a mediterranian view or culture and perhaps look to new translations that are more accurate to our language. When translating something.... words are translated to their most common meaning, but in fact are not always 100% accurate to the orginal message (word).
believing in a higher power is a good thing , But to not seek it through every avalible source is to blind your self and limit your ability . To take the words of a book that could have been mistranslated as you put it . Is not my cup of tea . Just as the few of you that are preaching the word are expressing your views I am expressing mine . Its called discusion and debate . Because my opinion isn't the same doesn't mean that its any less valid . I am encouraging people to think much the same as you are , I just encouaging it in a wider scope than you. I am not hot headed and I am not in need of cooling off . My actions are not out of line I am only stating my opinions and asking for facts, not translations of ideas from 2000 years ago .

rylan1

Key words that you and everybody else keeps use are MISTRANSLATED and TRANSLATION .
believing in a higher power is a good thing , But to not seek it through every avalible source is to blind your self and limit your ability . To take the words of a book that could have been mistranslated as you put it . Is not my cup of tea . Just as the few of you that are preaching the word are expressing your views I am expressing mine . Its called discusion and debate . Because my opinion isn't the same doesn't mean that its any less valid . I am encouraging people to think much the same as you are , I just encouaging it in a wider scope than you. I am not hot headed and I am not in need of cooling off . My actions are not out of line I am only stating my opinions and asking for facts, not translations of ideas from 2000 years ago .
Whoa, Whoa... slow down... I was not calling you hot headed or that you need to chill... I was just using that phrase as an example...(its the 1st thing that came to mind) So my bad if you thought otherwise

As far as translation goes... I think that is where you will find your answer. We can go back in forth, but until we look at the meaning of the word in the proper text, than the discussion is just opinions.
Another point is that it says He sat on the Circle of the Earth, which would imply that the circle was not flat but spherical. It it was flat the words would have suggested that he stood on the Earth, not sat upon it.
There are words however in the KJ version that do not incorporate the full scope of the intended meaning of certain words. My Bishop talks about this a lot, which is why he will give the text in 2 or 3 versions while sharing it in the medditerrain apects of that day.

ruaround

and like i said before... maybe they spelled dog "c" "a" "t"... i love this whole lost in translation arguement it seems to fit in just as someome says "well that doesnt say that at all" or "how do you get that out of that"...
i may be wrong but i thought ther was a hebrew word for sphere... klug or chug of chlug or something of that nature...