Will the world end in 2012?

ruaround

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Authorship
Context of what is written
Audience the books were written too
Other early church documents and writings referencing the various books.
I'm not arguing the accuracy of the Bible. Just the timetable it was written in. To imply Constantine had the NT written is historically inaccurate.
how is it inaccurate??? all of the NTs books are spread out over severl years/decades/centuries...

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ruaround
how is it inaccurate??? all of the NTs books are spread out over severl years/decades/centuries...
Because Emperor Constantine was born approx 200 years after the latest book of the NT was written.
The NT books were written between 35ad and aprox 90ad. Constaintine was born around 270ad

ino

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
Why is it so much harder to believe in god than in the idea that there are things in the universe we cant see touch or even comprehend ? I think the idea of both requier us to open our minds a little and think out side of what we can touch. Its not that I dont believe in god or believe in the day of judgment . But I also can't be so blind and nieve as to think we are gods only creation. I can't believe that in the billions of planets and stars that we are the only creatures of consiousness , and that god has chosen to share this with us only . If god is capable of such grandness and can create the heavens and earth , Man and beast , Then why would he do it on such a small scale ? Maybe its because its all our minds can take in at this point in our evelotion. is the idea of people from other worlds hard to believe ? If you think it is in todays day and age then think about what it would have been translated into 2000 years ago ? If we are talking about entities that can move from demension to demension travel millions of light years at the blink of an eye would they not be able to perform every miricale that takes place in the bible ? If these same creatures could in such a way convince man in that day in age that there was a "god " wouldnt the uneducated people of that time be in awe of such creatures ? Ancient cultures have left signs that they were visited by beings from the heavens (outer space ).
Actually, that was my point. But if you assume no God, then where do the super-advanced aliens come from? Of course there's life on other planets/galaxies/universes, but my point was that they're also a creation.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Ino
Actually, that was my point. But if you assume no God, then where do the super-advanced aliens come from? Of course there's life on other planets/galaxies/universes, but my point was that they're also a creation.
I've yet to see any evidence of life anywhere other than Earth.

Not saying there isn't, but I wouldn't say "of course there is life" out there.
However life came into existence (whether through Creation or "Big Bang") we must remember the complexity of even the most simple single celled organism.

ruaround

Because Emperor Constantine was born approx 200 years after the latest book of the NT was written.
The NT books were written between 35ad and aprox 90ad. Constaintine was born around 270ad
the books within the NT were written in that time period and some say even up to 250AD... so the collection HAD to be put together well after that time period... its not like it all came together right when the time period you gave was over...

crashbandicoot

Originally Posted by Ino

I gotcha . I'm just saying that christianity is so self serving in the fact that there is no other explination to anything and that the bible is the first and last word . there has to be some kind of higher power some where there was a begining and at some point there is an ending . But if we say OK there is a "god " a higher power . Than where did god come from ? Everything has to be born of something . What was there before god ? Who or what created god ? and at that whos to say that he/she has the final say ? God ? No offense to anybody but I just dont see it as truth and I sure don't believe that such an all mighty being thats capable of such greatness has a plan for us and that plan consisted of letting us play on this earth for a few thousand years . Seams kind small and short winded when you think about it . you know in the grand idea of the world yeah bad things happen and there is suffering . But when you think about the size and posabilities of the universe the suffering we see is nowhere near what could be posible at the hands of a being as powerful as the creator of the universe . To think that holy land can only mean one little strip in the middle of a desert is kinda small and narrow veiwed . What if the holy land means the whole planet earth or our solar system , galaxy ? What if there is evil out there far greater than any man can imagine at this point . As limitless as the all mighty power is there has got to be more to it than our tiny little existance .
So to go back to the main point of this thread do I think 2012 is the end of the world ? NO just like 2000 nothing will happen . Calanders are our own febel atempt to understand time and space . They mean nothing in the bigger picture .

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by Rylan1
I don't think it matters but I think he had dark hair and skin. I would say he looked Egyptian or perhaps middle eastern.

Think about it, he was born jewish, he was born a jew....so I would suspect he looked Jewish....just myself using common sense, but I could be wrong.

crashbandicoot

I've yet to see any evidence of life anywhere other than Earth.

Not saying there isn't, but I wouldn't say "of course there is life" out there.
However life came into existence (whether through Creation or "Big Bang") we must remember the complexity of even the most simple single celled organism.

Much the same as christianity there are millions of pages of speculation . People have seen ufo's, aliens , have traveled millions of light years across the stars , yet we dismiss them as nut jobs and instead believe that god spoke to man and gave to us his word and thus the bible . You can no more prove there is a god than I can prove there are aliens or that we are just one demension in the possible millions there could be in existance .

stdreb27

Much the same as christianity there are millions of pages of speculation . People have seen ufo's, aliens , have traveled millions of light years across the stars , yet we dismiss them as nut jobs and instead believe that god spoke to man and gave to us his word and thus the bible . You can no more prove there is a god than I can prove there are aliens or that we are just one demension in the possible millions there could be in existance .
Don't forget we readily accept the big bang theory although it runs directly contradictory to the law of thermodynamics. Which we accept too. Humanity is a species of contradictions.

rylan1

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Think about it, he was born jewish, he was born a jew....so I would suspect he looked Jewish....just myself using common sense, but I could be wrong.
I believe people during that time looked a little different than they do today. You also have the desciption of him in the Bible.
Second, the Bible says he lived in Egypt for awile. My opinion is that he was darker than the Jewish people we see today. I don't think he was sub-saharan african, nor do I think he was european looking... I'd say somewhere in between.

rylan1

I gotcha . I'm just saying that christianity is so self serving in the fact that there is no other explination to anything and that the bible is the first and last word . there has to be some kind of higher power some where there was a begining and at some point there is an ending . But if we say OK there is a "god " a higher power . Than where did god come from ? Everything has to be born of something . What was there before god ? Who or what created god ? and at that whos to say that he/she has the final say ? God ? No offense to anybody but I just dont see it as truth and I sure don't believe that such an all mighty being thats capable of such greatness has a plan for us and that plan consisted of letting us play on this earth for a few thousand years . Seams kind small and short winded when you think about it . you know in the grand idea of the world yeah bad things happen and there is suffering . But when you think about the size and posabilities of the universe the suffering we see is nowhere near what could be posible at the hands of a being as powerful as the creator of the universe . To think that holy land can only mean one little strip in the middle of a desert is kinda small and narrow veiwed . What if the holy land means the whole planet earth or our solar system , galaxy ? What if there is evil out there far greater than any man can imagine at this point . As limitless as the all mighty power is there has got to be more to it than our tiny little existance .
So to go back to the main point of this thread do I think 2012 is the end of the world ? NO just like 2000 nothing will happen . Calanders are our own febel atempt to understand time and space . They mean nothing in the bigger picture .
The Bible has an explanation for your questions as to the creation, the universe, what there was before God, the purpose for our existence. Angels and demons...etc. Its too detailed to go through and you have to have an understanding of the Bible.
Calendars however are good tools to understand time and space because with understanding these principles you can understand the cycles of the earth and universe. Calendars are scientific in respect to the observations used in astronomy to create them. My question to you is what is the bigger picture? To you at least? Calendars and a knowledge of time is important in our daily lives.

mfp1016

the books within the NT were written in that time period and some say even up to 250AD... so the collection HAD to be put together well after that time period... its not like it all came together right when the time period you gave was over...
This is my warning to you, to not go down this road with Journeyman. I really doubt you have more clout on this subject than he. Good Luck!

mfp1016

Originally Posted by stdreb27
Don't forget we readily accept the big bang theory although it runs directly contradictory to the law of thermodynamics. Which we accept too. Humanity is a species of contradictions.
Depends on your causation definition of the big bang. Also, thermodynamics is a series of observations that work for us on a macroscopic level. Thermodynamics and all of its gets loopy at the molecular level, hence the need for statistical mechanics.
You are right, contradictions are omnipresent.

ruaround

Originally Posted by mfp1016
This is my warning to you, to not go down this road with Journeyman. I really doubt you have more clout on this subject than he. Good Luck!
lmao... welcome to the boards...

mfp1016

lmao... welcome to the boards...

???? I guess, sweet 80's saying...
I've been here a while, I stand by what I've said.

1journeyman

The Books of the NT are letters. These letters were being circulated within the first century church (as evidenced by other church writings). They date in the first century.
Historically Constantine plays a big role in the spreading of the Christian church. He did not, however, write any of the books of the NT. Nor is he responsible for any of them being written.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mfp1016
Nah, I welcome it. Keeps me sharp...
For example, it's been a while since I opened a book and studied the early ecumenical councils.

S

swalchemist

Religion is never a simple thing, no one will ever agree with everything thats the problem with the world as we know it. As for the Bible, remember there are certain books that were originally in it that were ignored and left out because they were contradictory or contained themes that leaders believed should not be probed.