Windows 7 problem

jacknjill

I keep getting alerts from "Window's 7 defender" saying that I have a virus, spyware, etc, but when I click on it, it tries to get me to purchase the full version in order to remove the "infected files."
I have Trend Micro Security system and when I did a system scan it says I have no spyware, trojans, virus's, nothing. So I think Windows is just trying to get me to purchase their virus protection.
Would it be okay to simply disable Windows Defender? It keeps popping up that I have a virus about every ten minutes or so and is annoying. Or is my Trend possibly missing these supposed virus's? My computer seems to be running fine...I have a Sony Vaio.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

meowzer

I don't know anything about your security system, BUT....someone I work with fell for that windows scam...and the next thing you know he had a bunch of charges on his credit card...so be careful...he had to cancel his card, and file a report too

stdreb27

Originally Posted by JacknJill
http:///forum/post/3239051
I keep getting alerts from "Window's 7 defender" saying that I have a virus, spyware, etc, but when I click on it, it tries to get me to purchase the full version in order to remove the "infected files."
I have Trend Micro Security system and when I did a system scan it says I have no spyware, trojans, virus's, nothing. So I think Windows is just trying to get me to purchase their virus protection.
Would it be okay to simply disable Windows Defender? It keeps popping up that I have a virus about every ten minutes or so and is annoying. Or is my Trend possibly missing these supposed virus's? My computer seems to be running fine...I have a Sony Vaio.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!
The thing you're seeing is Malware. Don't follow any of those links. That is designed to get you to download it, hopefully give em money for more software that solves the problems that it causes, then it causes more...
What I'd recommend you do is download malwarebytes. From malwarbytes.org. They have an excellent product. Their free version will do what you need it to do. Trend doesn't scan for the same types of nasties that this scans for.

yerboy

that alert isn't coming from windows defender. Try googling that alert or the link it tries to send you to to purchase it and maybe find an answer that way.

florida joe

Originally Posted by bigarn
http:///forum/post/3239060
Disable it ... It's all B.S.!!
plus 1
What I'd recommend you do is download malwarebytes
excellent program it is what i run with windows 7 disabled and another virus protection program

mrdc

I was going to say malware too. I had a similar issue awhile back and my problem was not allowing me to do anything. I would disable the program but it would keep popping back up and wasn’t allowing me to do anything on my computer. It just kept telling me my computer was infected and I needed to buy this virus software. I researched it and finally was able to get rid of the malware. It was a pain in the behind!!

dragonzim

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/3239058
The thing you're seeing is Malware. Don't follow any of those links. That is designed to get you to download it, hopefully give em money for more software that solves the problems that it causes, then it causes more...
What I'd recommend you do is download malwarebytes. From malwarbytes.org. They have an excellent product. Their free version will do what you need it to do. Trend doesn't scan for the same types of nasties that this scans for.

jacknjill

Thanks for the suggestions! I think you guys are right about it being Malware, because the little Windows icon is fuzzy, like it's fake. I downloaded the program you recommended and it's currently scanning my hard drive.

jacknjill

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3239063
I was going to say malware too. I had a similar issue awhile back and my problem was not allowing me to do anything. I would disable the program but it would keep popping back up and wasn’t allowing me to do anything on my computer. It just kept telling me my computer was infected and I needed to buy this virus software. I researched it and finally was able to get rid of the malware. It was a pain in the behind!!
That sounds exactly like my problem...how were you able to fix it?

mrdc

http:///forum/post/3239068
That sounds exactly like my problem...how were you able to fix it?
By just researching it and finding the appropiate program for fixing it. I think it might be the one already suggested. It happened last year so I can't remember the exact name of the program. In the future, stay away from adult and piracy sites and you should be okay!!

Just kidding!!

stdreb27

Realistically, if you download some good antivirus like trend, then a malware scanner like malwarebytes. you should be able to avoid almost anything they throw your way.

jacknjill

Update! It took almost three hours, but the program scanned my entire system, found the program, and removed it. Now everything is running fine with no fake spyware alerts. Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!!

stdreb27

http:///forum/post/3239214
Update! It took almost three hours, but the program scanned my entire system, found the program, and removed it. Now everything is running fine with no fake spyware alerts. Thanks so much for the advice everyone!!!
I know this is after the fact, but when you do a malware bytes scan, it helps to run it with Microsoft's recovery software turned off. The Malware likes to make copies of itself in the recovery drive.
Malware got me paid for about a year. Suckers.

reefraff

I got something like that on a Vista machine. The version I have wouldn't let me run any removal programs, Finally had to start the machine in safe mode and do a restore.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///forum/post/3239247
I've made quite a few bucks because of malware myself!

When I first ran across it, I was fighting a nasty little variation of the blaze virus. This was at a job, where they'd said, you'll have some computer responsibilities, but most of the work is done by an outside service... (because I'm not IT guy) and I said, I don't mind doing stuff to help out, but just so you know, I am familiar with computers, but I'm no IT guy. In the interview. Anyway, the thing they hired be for got delayed for over a year.
So I turned into the computer guy... It was interesting...
One day I had the then chief indian come to me with his little computer and it was just full of crap. I ran malwarebytes on it, and it pulled off over 1500 different hits... The problem one was one of those killed all the login entries for windows so it would boot, let me put in the username and password. Then think for a while then shut down the computer. About then he came back up to me and said he was going to be deposed and needed the computer back the next day... (this was an 8 figure lawsuit) the problem was this had some oe version of windows that we didn't have a disk for. So even though I figured out which file was missing, none of my windows disks had that file on it. SCSInet friggen FTPed me 3 different versions of windows, and one of those ended up working...
But running malwarebytes kept me employed for a year when otherwise I would have most likely been laid off...

meowzer

Is this download called pctools????? I went to malwarebytes, downloaded the free thing, and got pctools spyware doctor