Xenia Dieing?

tanksalot

wocka,
I will have to agree with Kip mine do best when my dkh is around 10-11.
I might have skipped over it but have you tested dkh latley?

wocka

so what if i got a new bulb? here are my paraments
alkalinity- 14
ammonia- 0
calcium- 400
nitrate- 5
nitrite- 0
PH - 8.1
salinity- 1.023

bang guy

Mine are the first coral to tell me I have a Calcium/ALK imbalance. IMO it doesn't matter what the ALK is just so it's a balanced ratio with Carbonate (reference Kip's article).

wocka

Mine are the first coral to tell me I have a Calcium/ALK imbalance
what do u mean? ur xenia? well im planning on getting true actinic bulbs. my LFS might now what im talking about, just so i know there not trying to make a sale, what should i be looking for on the light box

tanksalot

bang,
I have been reading this because my xenia has not been looking good for the last week. I just went back and read kip's thread and I think you solved my problem. My ca and my dkh is not balanced. I have been bumping my alk up, but stupid me, I diddnt even think about my ca and alk not being in balance.
Guess I gotta go back to noobie school.

scubasteve

Bang-I'm not trying to say iodine is needed for sucessful xenia growth, I'd just like to see people post something to back up thier posts. If there are articles or research available on the net about a subject I'm asking about i'd like to actually go and read up about it instead of just taking someone's word for it on the forums. Since we can't use links on this site I'll ususally copy and paste relevent excerpts and state the author of the article so people don't have to take my word for things. I'm suprised how many people don't seem to go outside this site or other message boards to actually look anything up themselves. Even though I do a lot of outside research, I understand that there may be other articles or research that may oppose what i have read.
I am impressed that you've read every research paper written about xenia, since "not one" has proven the benefits of iodine additon. I wish i had that much time :D (Yes i am being sarcastic, and yes I am only joking with you).

tanksalot

About two years ago a lfs advised me to add iodine to my tank because it was needed for sucessful xenia growth. (this is before I found all these message boards and information) I figgured the lfs knows what they are talking about and started adding iodine. Well to make a long story short I added too much iodine and one day I awoke to all but one of my fish dead. thats when I started looking online for information, and what do you know iodine can be very toxic if too much is added into a system. Im not saying do not use it but if you do be very very carefull when using it.

bang guy

Originally posted by scubasteve
I am impressed that you've read every research paper written about xenia, since "not one" has proven the benefits of iodine additon. I wish i had that much time :D (Yes i am being sarcastic, and yes I am only joking with you).

Point taken :D
Your sarcasm is appreciated too. I enjoy a good debate.
I definately misstated. My response should have said - No research I have read, nor any research any other Marine Biologists that I chat with have read, indicate that Xenia requires Iodine for any biologic purpose.
If there is some reason why Xenia requires Iodine then it must get plenty from water changes because I have never added any other than when I feed my fish and exchange water.

bang guy

Originally posted by Kip4130
now my xenia have grown to plague proportions

But at least you know how to kill them off.

scubasteve

I think I'll stop adding iodine once the new tank is set up and see if i notice any change in my xenia. I'm sure i could find something else to spend the money on :D Just for the record I know Bang is one of the guys to listen to when he posts something. I also hadn't considered the fact that certain fish foods may be a source of iodine, as Kip had said. One more thing to investigate.