xenia for nutrient export?

seankotch

Hello all. I'm excessively new to BBS and fairly new to reef keeping. I do, however, have a basic understanding of the latter. I was wondering if anyone has a good source of data in regards to using xenia for nutrient export. I'm particularly interested in a comparison between xenia and various caulerpa spp. Also, does anyone have any experience in keeping both in the same system? Just wondering if a heavy growth of each would retard or hinder the other. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

seankotch

I already have a few smallish growths of caulerpa in the main dislplay. I was thinking about removing them and replacing with xenia. That is if xenia has been shown to utilize phosphates. Thanx for the welcome and the help.

leigh

hey, i tried it for a while (i put xenia in my invert tank) and rather liked it... the problem was when one of my crabs decided to eat it it produced a truly foul smell and i'm not exactly sure what it did short term to water quality. i didn't loose anything, so i guess it couldn't have screwed things up too badly--but it did make my house stink for a couple days. if you don't have anything that might eat it though it's kinda fun project. i'd definitely do both xenia and caulerpa--that way the xenia provides a bit of barrier against the caulerpa going sexual and the caulerpa prevents a bit of barrier against the xenia dying and stinking up the place :) caulerpa is a truer sense of nitrate/phosphate export since you physically remove it from the tank to remove the phosphate/nitrates. xenia however you're counting on to use up excess nutrients--part of why i would not go solely with xenia...

broncofish

I have heard from Bang Guy and others that Xenia removes as much as 10x the amount of trates. Does nothing for phosphates though. Also if you do put it in the fuge remember, the do require a good bit of light, but not 24/7. They need at least ten hours off or else they will get some sort of toxic oxygen builup in them. For what it is worth I am putting nothing but xenia in my fuge, and will keep a little well groomed macro in my display.

seankotch

I was wondering the same thing as well: if a heavy growth of caulerpa would hamper the growth of xenia due to low nitrate levels? Any thoughts?

seankotch

Leigh, I'm tracking on removing caulerpa to provide true export of nitrogenous waste products. Could I not due the same with xenia? Wouldn't trading off frags of xenia accomplish the same thing in essence?

broncofish

Originally posted by mmmmsushi
Bronc... if that's true, and I have 0, I mean true 0, for nitrates, than would that stunt my little xenia's growth?

I don't think so, as far as I'm aware they also export certain heavy metal that are leached into are system over time for salts, foods etc...they will also feed on phytoplankton. Plus maybe your zero's are partially attributed to the xenia;) I have it all over my 29g, I basicaly let it run wild, my numbers always read 0's and I am thinking that may be due to the xenia explosion

leigh

Originally posted by SeanKotch
Leigh, I'm tracking on removing caulerpa to provide true export of nitrogenous waste products. Could I not due the same with xenia? Wouldn't trading off frags of xenia accomplish the same thing in essence?

Yes :)

D

daniel411

:) I'll happily dispose of that awful waste garbage.... xenia croppings for you!
leigh, hows your tank search going?

seankotch

Hey Broncofish, I'm getting pretty intrigued by this idea. Do you happen to know where Bang Guy got his info? I'm pretty keen to do some research of my own. Also, I was wondering if you keep several types of xenia to guard against a massive meltdown of a single type? Again, thanks to all for your help.

leigh

Daniel--LOL, it's not... i think i'm being too picky by wanting something acrylic--around 150 gallons (happy to go 30 gals either way) 6 ft long with drilled overflows. oh, and of course cheap. i think i'd be better off buying lotto tickets :)

broncofish

I'm not sure where Bang Guy heard, read etc...but I have seen some stuff that shimek has done on it. Not a huge shimek fan, but this stuff seamed pretty reliable. I will see if I can find the article, maybe Bang will pop in here.

bang guy

This was from a very small sampling so it's probably not statistically accurate but I believe it gives a general idea.
Caulerpa Racemosa:
Nitrogen = 650ppm
Phosphorus = 41ppm
Sulphur = 440ppm
Red Sea Xenia:
Nitrogen = 13000ppm
Phosphorus = 580ppm
Sulphur = 1200ppm

bang guy

Originally posted by Kipass4130
just wanted to check... i may start a xenia tank soon
would a xenia fuge negate a macro fuge?

I don't see how but I have not experimented nor have I seen any research.

seankotch

Thanks to all for the inputs. Has anyone had any experience keeping a set up of this nature for any length of time? I was wondering if using Heteroxenia and Cespitularia (if I could locate any) would have the same results as the Red Sea variety? I'm just guessing that a diverse group of organisms would prove to be more resilient to a large scale crash. Just searching for ideas before I jump into anything.

bang guy

Excellent writeup & glad to hear the results.
Thank you Kip.
IMO we should coin a new name for this typs of nutrient export. Refugium just doesn't fit.
N.E.T. ?? (Nutrient Export Tank)

overanalyzer

Damn I was plannign a "Xenia Filter" experiment when I set up my large tank .....
Was going to plumb a 55 gallon with an eel into my sump system in the basement and have no other means of filtration but all the xenia growing in the main tank with the eel. Obviously a lot more to it then that ... but I am still planning my big tank and sump room .....
I like the NET ....
Good job Kip!