Yellow Tang in a 55.......

natep206

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Its true...I do believe a yellow tang needs a tank much larger than its size. This fish swims hundreds and hundreds of miles each day! The fish that I recommend for aquariums, do not do this, and stay much smaller. If you truly meant "minimum tank size that it would be happy in," then you're way off pal. And what do you mean, if I'm just trying to make a point, then there's no need? I'm stating my opinion. That's what you're supposed to do on a message board.
And, FYI...yellow tangs reach 10". Its a huge myth that if you purchase a small enough specimen, that it will only grow into the size of your aquarium. Yes, they do experience stunted growth in an aquarium, but it that really something to be proud of? Its unnatural! JMO

false facts. yts dont travle hundereds of miles each day!!!! they dont even travle further then a mile from were they are in a day!!!!!!! sure they may have travled hundereds of miles in there life time but there are 365 days in a year they dont even travle that many miles in a year!!!! a mile is a LONG ways for a fish to travle and yt definatly do not travle that far.
sure its not as good as in the wild but the growth isnt stunted. im saying if u had a 100,000 gallon tank if u got a 2" yt it would never grow bigger then 6". just because they dont. and its not a known myth its from personal expierence. and they dont even reach 10" in the wild they rarly grow bigger then 8"
unfortunatly im leaveing town today and wont be back till sunday night
but when i get back...ITS ON EMPEROR11

stanlalee

Originally Posted by NateP206
they are open water fish....the only reason u see them picking at rocks on the "nature shows" u watch is because the camera men cant get a yellow tang swimming as fast as it can across the reef. sure they spend some of there time eating of of rocks but most of there time up in the open water. im sure they have gone all the way down to the sand bed to pick at a rock with alot of algae but does that make them bottom dwellers?

Thats just not true. Once most types of tangs find a nice feeding ground along the reef they stay in that general area as long as there is food and dont lose it to competition. They have to be on the outskirts of the reefs because algae doesn't compete well with corals on the actual reef. They are open reef searchers when they are looking for a stable place to graze. All tangs may not act the same but as far as yellow and powder blues thats what they do. I saw it with my own eyes (on television that is).
Even this site states in the description of nearly every tang "these fish are usually
seen at reefs eating algae all day long

emperor11

...Interesting debate. VERY interesting debate. Nate, I looked into what you said, and you are correct.
Excellent, excellent job on your research. To a point, however, from what I read..some do swim more than others. I still don't think I'd put a yellow tang in a 55, but a kole, tomini, either of the powders, and several others would probably work. Thank you for correcting me!

P

phishface

wow, darn good yappin, In my experience, 6ft tank and lots of rock/caves/greens they seem happy to see me everyday. But of course IMO. Good luck with whatever your tank size. :happyfish

lukeb321

Ive seen some pretty big yellows at my lfs a couple yrs ago, that would look like a shark in a goldfish bowl in a 55, but I havent seen anything that big in a while.
Having this debate is tough, but I think its silly to get mad or upset at those who keep tangs in 55, if they are providing the best env. they can.
All of us are guilty on some level even keeping a clownfish in 225 gallon, its still not the ocean or their natural home.
In my exp. I have never had a tang in a 55 just too worried about ick, but my uncle who has been the hobby for over 20 yrs and has many tanks has a beautiful scopas tang in his 55 with a dwarf angel and 2 clowns. He has had him for 4 yrs, no ick, eats like a pig and doesnt look weird in a tank that size. Now I wont use the word "fine", since I havent talked to the fish personally but living that long, eating by hand, and having beautiful color and shape, hes doing better than most peoples or lfs fish.
To each its own.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
I disagree. If the only fish I had was a YT, it still would have poor quality of life.
Oh here we go, bleeding hearts away. This question is like politics, you will never get both sides to agree.
Here’s my answer. Yes I keep a yellow tang in my 55 gal DT with a bi-color, sand shifting goby, clarki and perc clowns. Bought him when he was the size of a quarter and now he bigger then a golf ball.
The YT shows no signs of ill harm or cruelty. He has a mammoth appetite, never had ick or any other illness.
Never had or shown fin drooping or anything else. Been going strong for years.
Yes I will agree with any one who says “when the YT gets bigger your going to have to give it up for adoption” and they are right and I agree.
IMO it’s a generalized statement to not keep YT in a 55 gallon due to the fact that not every many keepers are dedicated like a lot of hobbyist who hang out on this board. It’s easier to just say no to the idea, so if something was to happen they have an easy answer then actually delving into the questions of “X”
Now I’m not saying or telling any one to go and place a 6 inch YT in a 55 gallon either or place one in a new set up, that would be cruel.
It all comes down to do you want one and are you willing to exhaust your self to keep a tank worthy of keeping “X” fish/coral in your tank, learning and feeding “X” the right vitamin enriched and nutritious foods. You are always going to come across people who are just not willing to accept that certain things can be done with great success.
Take the advice given, the yes, the no’s and maybe so with a grain of salt and build your own idea and opinion and do it if you want to try it.
Keeping a YT in a 55 gallon has been done more times with success then any one will be willing to admit to. Even the newly introduced keepers to saltwater have been successful.

tx reef

Wow!!!

This thread is going just the way I hoped it would when I started it.
This a nice debate over one of the most common questions on this forum.
Thanks to everyone for keeping emotions in check and not fighting. I have learned alot and hope that many more continue to share their experience in this matter.

scoot

i have somthin to say right now because my 2 125s are screwed up and only one had fishin it so i moved my sailfin tang and moorish idol into my 55 and i couldnt tell u if they were happy cuz i cant talk to them they nvr fought and r doing well yes im goin to move them all bak into the 125 but for now they r doin well also the other fish that were in my 125 (black volitan, lyritail grouper, bluethroat trigger and a ribbon eel) they r doin fine in a 20 gallon long they eat like PIGS and just chill in there rock work and yes they will be moved bak over to but they r doin well in that tank i couldnt tell u if they like cuz again we cant talk to the fish but they shape is goood they eat very well and theyre color is very good but im not tellin ppl to go and put a lionfish in a 20 gallon but they r doin welll but yes they did love theyre bigger tank way better!!!!!

poniegirl

Okay, so far (yes I did do A tally) 10 to 4, the yesses are out front in opinion and experience.
I have learned a lot also. (though still a bleeding heart
)

hardcrab67

Man, oh man, I told my wife the tang police were coming. She better hurry up and order my, oops I mean our 125g
I have a sailfin in my 55 and I've been around animals my whole life, especially the exotic birds and fish. Thats why I finally took the SW plunge because IMO there is nothing more exotic than these creatures. Now the sailfin, he can talk, not in words, but in action. He swims gracefully back and forth through the openings in the rocks, all around the tank, stops, looks at me, fans his fins. Any animal I've seen abused or unhappy surely didn't act like this. My 60lbs of rock goes from one end to the other and is layered to about half the total depth of the tank. He's only 4" but I rearrange the rock when I knew he was coming and planned his arrival. I know they can get over a foot long. I plan to upgrade before he outgrows his swimming area. So with that said, ya you can put one in there, but by himself you better be around all day to chat with him or he is going to be unhappy. Just think if you didn't have anybody to interact with in life, that would @#$%. Why do you think I talk to you guys

sharkbait9

Okay, so far (yes I did do A tally) 10 to 4, the yesses are out front in opinion and experience.
I have learned a lot also. (though still a bleeding heart
)
Well the evil people need some one to kill and eat

who dey

I have kept a powder blue in my 55 for a year and a half. Tangs are fine in a 55 for a few years as long as they are smaller and you have plans for a tank upgrade

tx reef

So, in you folks experience, what is, if any, the best suited Tang for a 55 gallon or other 4' long tank?

tx reef

In my experience the only tang I would put in a 4' tank would be orange flavored.

:hilarious

nemo6108

I disagree. If the only fish I had was a YT, it still would have poor quality of life.
:happyfish

poniegirl

I can't help notice that we haven't really addressed the common occurance of ich in tangs. Does anyone with a 55 have experience with this? How about anyone with a 150+ ?
As often, I believe, as we see threads posted about "Can I have a tang in a tank that's too small?" we also see "Problem with ich, HELP". It bears researching.