Yellow Tang in a 55.......

cjml

Originally Posted by hot883
This is by far the "Best thread" on the subject. Thanks to all that have contributed. Here's my input:
It's always the size of the tank that comes into play. I have 5 fish that will not leave 1/2 of the tank, they are always on one side. I have fish that only stay in certain areas. The tangs that I do have do not EVER swim back and forth the length of the RECOMMENDED MINIMUM 6 feet. They stay in the same little area, occasionally swim the length and then back to their spot. All healthy and eat like pigs. Don't know if they are happy or not, I flunked fish phsycology(sp) 101 and do not communicate with them well.
Don't get me started on Morish Idols either.
I do believe that fish are very intelligent creatures.I do believe they are able to interact with their keepers--- my fish absolutely interact with me-they are very calm in their environment and swim very peacefully around in my tank. My tangs will eat out of my hand-very gently -All fish also interact in the wild with humans --positively--just watch some good shows on fish and their interaction with humans..Whales especially-beautiful creatures--Our responsibility as fishkeepers is to maintain a safe healthy enviornment for the fish we bring home. As someone previously mentioned in another post - some of these fish would be fish food for another creature in the ocean.Thats just the way it is in life.... Just remember if you decide to be a fishkeeper you need to accept the responsibility that goes with it. Imho.....
btw-nice bike...
ML

dogstar

My tangs are all over my 6 ft tank all day long, not panickly paceing but more like casually cruising and checking things out and grazeing. Interacting and passing each other by ect. IMO, if they are in a larger tank they will use it. If one is more dominate and dont allow others to move freely then may be an issue but that has more to do with compatability than tank size.

mrducks

Tugg Life made a fairly good point earlier on i think. Almost ALL tangs are wild caught. Really arnt easy to breed in captivity.

robsw

im not exactly sure why people get so heated when debating this topic just becasue this topic applies to any fish kept in any aquarium. no tank is going to be like the ocean to this fish. any fish in any tank would be much happier in the ocean.
the funny thing is that the same people who say a 55 is to small for a yellow tang, are the same people who have six or seven tangs in a 200 gallon tank.
this is not everybody so dont take offense.
just tryin to keep this goin
its a hot topic

hardcrab67

Originally Posted by RobSW
im not exactly sure why people get so heated when debating this topic just becasue this topic applies to any fish kept in any aquarium. no tank is going to be like the ocean to this fish. any fish in any tank would be much happier in the ocean.
the funny thing is that the same people who say a 55 is to small for a yellow tang, are the same people who have six or seven tangs in a 200 gallon tank.
this is not everybody so dont take offense.
just tryin to keep this goin
its a hot topic
Very good point!
But you can't tell them that, they've got 200gal
Plenty of room!

robsw

its true thats why i hesitated posting it becasue i thought id get flamed. but im glad someone agrees with me.

dogstar

Originally Posted by TX Reef
question is "can I keep a Yellow Tang in my 55 gallon tank?"
Some say they do it and have had success for years. Others say it is cruel and shouldn't be done.
The Question.....should be "How Long can I keep a Yellow Tang in my 55 gallon tank?"
Its possible to keep one in a 5 gl tank, right ? How long ?
We put them in tiny tanks for QT for a month, OK. Those who even do QT.
Then a year in a 55g. then move it to a bigger one, fine..or take them back as they grow too big, fine
Keep it 2 years in a 55g ? 3 years, 4 years, 5 years.....IDK. How long, they live a lot longer in the wild, right?
Out of the thousands who have tried, you know its been thousands..you see the LFS stocked with lots of them flying out the doors..see the post all the time here of newbies and others with them and even in smaller tanks. Right. Only a few, 3 or 4 to my count have said more than a couple years....If its not an issue then why are there not more here saying they have kept them for longer....why have there not been more claiming long term success with them in small tanks ??? Why are so many of the post about them not makeing it or dieing from ick, ect. Do you think not that many really do try it and thats why theres not a lot who claim success, is that possible? IDK.
I asked earlier, is there a reason theres not alot claiming long term success here.....
I can understand why one would not want to post about it eaither way but then again the ones who are posting that its fine and OK and dont see a problem with it then where is their success stories ???????