Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelerjp98 http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/100#post_3455294
DANG I missed a lot in this thread! Everyone's stories are really great, it'll definitely be tough to find a winner for this month!
I still have my gift certificate laying around. I have $250 worth of goods on back order that I've been waiting for them to come in stock for over like 2 months now.
Yep, that's what happens to me too. I think after your tank is stocked, and you have to get picky on what can go in there. That it gets harder to get that order big enough, and in at the same time, to save on the shipping.

mr. limpid

I'm, glad to see the sparked interest in the thread, I thinks its very entertaining to read others stories. Keep them coming, still haven't heard from Snake. If you read this I have already written march's story inspired by you.

S

siptang

Ok, here it is.
Little background story about myself to help understand the story and bit about myself to help you understand the story little better.
I had a bit of a rough childhood, my parents got divorced when I was 7 and I lived by myself near my relatives with my younger sister for a year then moved in with my grandmother who couldn't stand the fact that young kids were living by themselves and that no adults would take us in. (she raised 13 sons and 2 grand kids and she refused to take any more in)
I have never been to aquarium when I was young because my dad was out of country at all times being a photographer for national geographics then later on overseer adviser for photo at carnival cruise line when they were first getting into photos. So most of my childhood, I saw my dad maybe 7 days out of the year and after my parents got a messy divorce, my mom left and we were stuck by ourselves and missed out chances to go to nice places.
Enough of that and fast forward back to when my grandmother took me in.
My grandmother always loved nature. She kept trees in her small apartment and had a small brick pond since her house with baby kois and 2 other small tanks with whole bunch of neon tetras and palys and I was instantly in love. I quickly became her favorite because I was out going, helped her clean the tank, catch the baby fish, feed the fish and rub my grandma's back after maintaining the tank. (she was a heavy set lady)
One Saturday morning, I woke up and I believe this was the first week of me being there.
I woke up got out to the living room where the small pond was and was staring at the fish swimming around and ofcourse, kois all swam towards me expecting food.
I then noticed that black specks on the fish.. if you are thinking uh oh, you thought right.
Me, being a great grandson that I am, I decide that they are dirt specs and all of them need washing.
I grab a huge towel and spread in on the floor then one by one laid the kois side by side for some towel scrubbing.
I got all the fish out and started to scrub them when my aunt came out to cook breakfast for the family and then screamed when she saw me. (around 7 something in the morning)
At first, I scared her because she didn't expect anyone to be up so early and then at what I was doing.
She said that the fish was gasping for air and begging her to take them out of their misery. She made me put everything back, clean up and to take a shower because I smelled like fish. By this time, my grandmother was up and about and heard what I had done. When I got out of shower, she smacked me in my back and started to lecture me then she asked, "what were you thinking?" and when I replied, but grandma, they were dirty and I wanted to clean them for you, she quite down a bit smiled and hugged me and explained that they were specs in their skin. I honestly don't remember if I killed any of her koi but I remember my grandmother's eyes and how we have gotten close after that incident.
Thanks for reading and have a good one as always guys.

mr. limpid

We got a lot of first timers and original story tells to contribute to this month, thanks to all, great stories love reading them. But it seams now we have lost the creator of this thread. So if anyone here's from Ladyreefseeker let her know we are looking for her.

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
I am so sorry! I will announce the winner this evening. Thanks everyone. We really do appreciate the stories and please keep them coming.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyreefseeker http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly#post_3428746
We at Saltwaterfish.com would like to hear about your success stories!
We will even feature our favorite story every month and offer a $25 gift certificate to the writer.
Please write a short story about an experience you have had in your journey of reef keeping! No topic requirements other than it be relevant to your marine life aquarium. Please keep it between 100-500 words. Short/Story.

We hope you will enjoy sharing with each other as much as we will enjoy reading! Thank you for your participation. You may submit more than one story, no rules!

If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks! -Mary-

Okay...I have a question. I noticed Siptang posted about Koi. (no flame on Siptang, that's not my intention) I also have a bunch of freshwater tank stories I would love to share. Can we submit stories about freshwater? I thought you said marine life and assumed it meant only saltwater.

S

siptang

no worries flower. :)
I just share whatever stories I have to make sure people know that mishaps happens to the best of us. (not saying I'm the best but it's figure of speech
)
Rules are rules so please don't count that story as a participating one for February.
I overlooked the rules by accident and posted it so it's my fault. :)

mr. limpid

I owe Ladyreefseeker a apology for pushing you, I apologize. I thought today was the 14th. Somebody at work here told me it was only the 7th. Good thing because if I came home with flowers, my wife all ready thinks I'm an idiot. Ah a story for next month, oh it not about salwater fish. I had to throw that one in there. I apolgize to you Flower.

S

siptang

Lol almost same thing happened to me at work yesterday as well.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/120#post_3456414
no worries flower. :)
I just share whatever stories I have to make sure people know that mishaps happens to the best of us. (not saying I'm the best but it's figure of speech
)
Rules are rules so please don't count that story as a participating one for February.
I overlooked the rules by accident and posted it so it's my fault. :)
NOOOOOO
You misunderstand (that's why I said it was NOT a flame on you for your post)....I have some really good freshwater stories I want to submit. I told Meowzer about one of them...the crazy landlord who drianed my tanks while I was at work is a great one.
Ladyreefkeeper's last rule says.... NO RULES! LOL

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/120#post_3456454
NOOOOOO
You misunderstand (that's why I said it was NOT a flame on you for your post)....I have some really good freshwater stories I want to submit. I told Meowzer about one of them...the crazy landlord who drianed my tanks while I was at work is a great one.
I got to hear that one tell it.

flower

Oh boy...I do have a saltwater story thats pretty funny.
Everyone had gotten together to build me a sump/refugium. Well that last day of switch over I had an incident with my canister filters, I ran two for many years on my 90g before I converted to the sump system....the canisters were not going without a fight I guess.
I had this plan to remove the canister filters from under the stand and set them on the side to be removed later when I was sure the sump was all up and working. I removed the first canister, and was reattaching the hose…apparently I pulled too tight and the hose came loose from the rim…water went everywhere, I tried to break the siphon and had not realized I had zip tied the intake and output tubes from both canisters together, they had been like that for years. Well I landed up with all four hoses flaying around spraying me in the face, wacking me over the head and water going everywhere emptying my tank as I fought for control….I ripped the tubes out in a crazy frenzy, cutting my hand…I don’t know how.
There I stood..dripping…out of breath…shaking and bleeding. I'm a big gal and a wet teeshirt does not look good on me at all....My was carpet soaked, the tank water 1 inch down (in my 90g that’s got to be more than 3 gallons) That was the day I installed the sump…They turned on me so I packed them in boxes…I was determined that there they shall remain until I give them away.
Now that it's over I can laugh but not at that moment...I was so upset. I have used the canister for the seahorse tank, I did give one away, and the other I keep just in case I ever need it. May that never happen.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/120#post_3456454
NOOOOOO
Lol, I'm ok Flower.

Please tell us your freshwater adventures!
Honestly, it's all gravy Flower, don't worry, I wasn't even upset in first place.
I will put LOL to ease the attention.
LoL