Your Best Aquarium Stories Featured Monthly!

gemmy

I could share a ton of stories about the mishaps I had maintaining the fish system at my work. One even involves a pot roast. I think you guys would be amazed that I am able to maintain my SW tank.

gemmy

The Story of the Pot Roast in a Fish System
OK, a little background info is needed for this one. I was a pet care manager for the company that I work for. This means taking care of the entire fish system, birds, reptiles and small animals. I was transferred to a new location that was opening up (which was awesome since not many people get this honor). I was responsible for monitoring the progress of the fish from the time it was installed until it was operational. The fish system was up and running within couple of weeks. I added the gravel, ornaments, and put the fish picture tags up (so we knew which fish went in what tank when we got our first order). Now, this is a brand spanking new system and the biological cycle had not began. Well, per the company protocol, we were to add Bio Spira. Bio Spira was the bacteria that we were to add to boost the cycle in order to make the fish system more hospitable for fish. I received the Bio Spira on a Monday. The bottle was warm and the ice pack was melted. I read the instructions for the Bio Spira and it clearly stated keep refrigerated until it is added to fish system. The shipment was supposed to be overnighted and it had been in transit for at least four days before it reached me. Crap, I thought to myself. There was no way that this was going to be salvageable. I email my corporate fish guru and he told me not to worry. I still worried. I had fish coming that week. So, I use my critical thinking skills. I knew you could use fish food or even a small shrimp for a small tank. So, why couldn't I use a large hunk of meat to help cultivate the bacteria for my 1400 gallon system? I knew that the Bio Spira was not doing the trick since there was no increase of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I bit the bullet and put a nice huge pot roast in the fluidized bedding chamber of my fish system. I did start to see signs of a true cycle. The final test came when I had to add the first shipment of fish. The fish order was huge, but the majority of the fish survived.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/140#post_3456718
The Story of the Pot Roast in a Fish System
OK, a little background info is needed for this one. I was a pet care manager for the company that I work for. This means taking care of the entire fish system, birds, reptiles and small animals. I was transferred to a new location that was opening up (which was awesome since not many people get this honor). I was responsible for monitoring the progress of the fish from the time it was installed until it was operational. The fish system was up and running within couple of weeks. I added the gravel, ornaments, and put the fish picture tags up (so we knew which fish went in what tank when we got our first order). Now, this is a brand spanking new system and the biological cycle had not began. Well, per the company protocol, we were to add Bio Spira. Bio Spira was the bacteria that we were to add to boost the cycle in order to make the fish system more hospitable for fish. I received the Bio Spira on a Monday. The bottle was warm and the ice pack was melted. I read the instructions for the Bio Spira and it clearly stated keep refrigerated until it is added to fish system. The shipment was supposed to be overnighted and it had been in transit for at least four days before it reached me. Crap, I thought to myself. There was no way that this was going to be salvageable. I email my corporate fish guru and he told me not to worry. I still worried. I had fish coming that week. So, I use my critical thinking skills. I knew you could use fish food or even a small shrimp for a small tank. So, why couldn't I use a large hunk of meat to help cultivate the bacteria for my 1400 gallon system? I knew that the Bio Spira was not doing the trick since there was no increase of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. I bit the bullet and put a nice huge pot roast in the fluidized bedding chamber of my fish system. I did start to see signs of a true cycle. The final test came when I had to add the first shipment of fish. The fish order was huge, but the majority of the fish survived.
LOL...did the company reimburse you for the roast? Obviously they chose the right person for the job...good thinking.

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpid http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/140#post_3456730
You mean like a pot roast from a cow? Did you then make a pot luck lunch for the your fellow employees?

Yup, it was a whole pot roast from a cow. That thing was rancid when I pulled it out. I almost fell off the ladder the stench was so bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower
http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/140#post_3456746
LOL...did the company reimburse you for the roast? Obviously they chose the right person for the job...good thinking.
I used my company purchase card.

S

siptang

Wow!
Some retail story huh? That was interesting Krista, I had no idea that you could use beef to cycle the tank.

sweatervest13

Wow just caught up on this threads last 6 pages. I love to read all the stories and good and bad experiences everyone has with their tank and in life. I laughed, I cried (not really, but Siptang made me come real close). I really liked the one about the FW tank in Iraq, that is dedication.
I will have to try to come up with something, but I don't think I can come close to all the great ones so far. Thanks for writing them folks!!

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/388649/your-best-aquarium-stories-featured-monthly/140#post_3456785
Wow!
Some retail story huh? That was interesting Krista, I had no idea that you could use beef to cycle the tank.
I have plenty of stories and mishaps with the fish system. I pretty much know how to take apart the whole system and piece it together. I have to do this while there are fish in the system.
I needed a large chunk of meat (not necessarily beef) to start decomposing and cause the ammonia spike. It was the best thing I had available.

tirtza

Quote:
the crazy landlord who drianed my tanks while I was at work is a great one.
Flower - You have to tell this story! Don't leave us hanging!
Quote:
I needed a large chunk of meat (not necessarily beef) to start decomposing and cause the ammonia spike. It was the best thing I had available.
Very creative idea!

ladyreefseeker

Administrator
Staff member
Siptang!!! Winner for January!!! I am embarrassingly late with the announcing....Sorry....

I will send your gift certificate by email. Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

siptang

Thanks Jack, i really appreciate ya.
Like I said, time for some coral shopping!